Alexander Wennberg

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think his play has changed that much. The issue with Wennberg is that he doesn't dictate goals. He plays well defensively, controls the puck well, and makes nice passes (none of that has changed). But if his linemates don't bury it, and Foligno and Saad haven't been, he doesn't pick up any assists. And he shoots once or twice per game so there's not much he can do by himself.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
How long is he expected to be out for? I've had him on my fantasy squad the entire season, but playoffs are here so I may need to drop him.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He will not shoot the puck when he has an opening so the defenses just back off and play the pass. He has a good shot if he would just use it, and if he would shoot more it would open things up as well as create rebounds for others to score more.

Agreed.

He will either get over this deficiency or never get beyond 50 or so points per season.

Pass first, second and third doesn't work in the NHL long term. Wennberg's 97 SOG is the fourth least among the top 150 NHL scorers and two of the others have injury and low TOI as contributing reasons behind their low SOG totals.

Among forwards, Wennberg is 217th in SOG despite being 55th in TOI. Add in the fact that much of his time is on the PP and that makes that relationship even more striking.

Shoot, Alex. Shoot.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't often agree with CR. But he does have Wennie the Pooh nailed on his continuing and illogical refusal to shoot the puck.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
So, worst case scenario, he ends up a better Brassard? I'm ok with that, especially if you take Foligno off his line put Cam or Bjork up there with him.

I'm ok with I think too --- if we add another center who can net a minimum 25 goals. Wennberg is a nice player - I'll take him over Brassard right now. But he has the skill to score more and maximize his talent.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I suppose I agree with the idea of him shooting more, but I tend to think that about everyone. I'm of the older school camp where any shot is a good shot, but I do understand how goalies have changed.

I've no problem if he continues to play this way for a long time. I don't really understand any burning desire to get more goals out him. I don't feel like the team lacks in goal scoring and I imagine he'll develop into the type of guy that is simply more of a playmaker. Seems to have worked out for guys like Backstrom and Thornton.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This team has got to get Wennberg back before the playoffs, He is creating nothing these days

Had a wide open attempt tonight point blank and fanned on the shot

Will the real Alexander Wennberg please return soon

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I suppose I agree with the idea of him shooting more, but I tend to think that about everyone. I'm of the older school camp where any shot is a good shot, but I do understand how goalies have changed.

I've no problem if he continues to play this way for a long time. I don't really understand any burning desire to get more goals out him. I don't feel like the team lacks in goal scoring and I imagine he'll develop into the type of guy that is simply more of a playmaker. Seems to have worked out for guys like Backstrom and Thornton.

I don't disagree with if he keeps this up, he'll still be pretty good... I think for some on here its just the burning desire for ANYONE/SOMEONE to step up and start producing at this current time when our offense feels a bit stalled.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
How about this? He is a good but not great player. He is NOT worth the $ 6 million dollar a year contract as some on here have discussed. He is a good complementary player who needs other, very good to excellent good players on his team to support him. Kind of a Ryan Murray among forwards.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
How about this? He is a good but not great player. He is NOT worth the $ 6 million dollar a year contract as some on here have discussed. He is a good complementary player who needs other, very good to excellent good players on his team to support him. Kind of a Ryan Murray among forwards.

I'd agree.. His play has really slowed down over the last couple of months in my opinion with the powerplay. He seems slightly more willing to shoot the puck this year, but i'm still not greatly impressed. He's a good skater, finds some good lanes... But, I don't think of him as a "driver" of a line.

That shootout attempt against Washington was just WEAK.

Of course, he gets signed to a contract.. But, I don't think he gets a long-term deal or near as much as many of us on here had previously speculated earlier this year. Much more affordable contract now.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
I'd agree.. His play has really slowed down over the last couple of months in my opinion with the powerplay. He seems slightly more willing to shoot the puck this year, but i'm still not greatly impressed. He's a good skater, finds some good lanes... But, I don't think of him as a "driver" of a line.

That shootout attempt against Washington was just WEAK.

Of course, he gets signed to a contract.. But, I don't think he gets a long-term deal or near as much as many of us on here had previously speculated earlier this year. Much more affordable contract now.

I agree, and it makes me think they really will make a push for Duchene at the draft. I think if Wennberg had shown he was going to be a more assertive, top line player they wouldn't bother, but he hasn't. I think his ceiling is going to be someone like Plekanec, which is not a knock on him at all.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He's having a bad stretch games, it happens. If he performs well in the playoffs this will all be forgotten

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Good point. Other than the Murray equivalency.

Wennberg is many times the player that Murray is or will ever be. He's currently tied for 40th in NHL scoring and was in the 20s not that long ago. That's the type of upside Murray can only dream of having (not in points-in overall defenseman performance).

There is no reason to not sign him to a bridge deal. He's done nothing to earn a long term $6 million/year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad