2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I think it's emotionally hard to watch this team be terrible for another season WITHOUT any of our top-end prospects on the team. We'll do it, but I think feeling like another whatever year is going to be brutal.

For what it's worth, I think Grier is ready to put both Smith and Celebrini on the team. I think the ball is in their court.
I said this in Smith's thread, but I think it's not completely "ball in their court" -- I think Grier will also push a sales job on them depending on an offseason UFA/trade plan and a coaching plan. Either way, we'll know quickly after the draft and before FA. Celebrini will sign right away, or if we get to Jul 1 and he hasn't signed then they're probably both going back and we're gonna likely have an ugly year.

Reactions: Jargon

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Based on the videos I've watched today and yesterday though, Celebrini is definitely NHL-ready. By golly he's so smart and he always uses his eyes to gain information and he's so defensively-responsible. And he moves so well, he's the complete package! He would make the young guys here better if he plays with us next year, just with how he thinks the game and involves his teammates.

We all know he is only 17. D-men are going to hit him on rushes. But the solution is just to give him the LeoCarlsson treatment and let him slowly grow into his body in San Jose. There is nothing left for him in Boston.

I gotta have him and Musty here next year. I need it. Save my sanity Mile Grier!!

Reactions: landshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Based on the videos I've watched today and yesterday though, Celebrini is definitely NHL-ready. By golly he's so smart and he always uses his eyes to gain information and he's so defensively-responsible. And he moves so well, he's the complete package! He would make the young guys here better if he plays with us next year, just with how he thinks the game and involves his teammates.

We all know he is only 17. But the solution is just to give him the LeoCarlsson treatment and let him slowly grow into his body in San Jose. There is nothing left for him in Boston.

I gotta have him and Musty here next year. I need it. Save my sanity Mile Grier!!

I can’t get over being able to watch Smith, Celebrini and Eklund on a power play together. Them, Muhk and Granlund would be a delight.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's emotionally hard to watch this team be terrible for another season WITHOUT any of our top-end prospects on the team. We'll do it, but I think feeling like another whatever year is going to be brutal.

For what it's worth, I think Grier is ready to put both Smith and Celebrini on the team. I think the ball is in their court.
With or without Celebrini and/or Smith, the team needs to revamp the blue line with emphasis on puck management. Guys like Thrun and Emberson are okay with it as depth defensemen and can probably be more reliable with more experience but everyone else is not NHL caliber at it and should be replaced. Granted, replacing four or five of your group of defensemen is a tall task in one offseason but this is the offseason to try and pull it off while you're transitioning to a new core.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
With or without Celebrini and/or Smith, the team needs to revamp the blue line with emphasis on puck management. Guys like Thrun and Emberson are okay with it as depth defensemen and can probably be more reliable with more experience but everyone else is not NHL caliber at it and should be replaced. Granted, replacing four or five of your group of defensemen is a tall task in one offseason but this is the offseason to try and pull it off while you're transitioning to a new core.

Oh 100% - that’s step 1 to be less atrocious next year.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis

We all know he is only 17. D-men are going to hit him on rushes. But the solution is just to give him the LeoCarlsson treatment and let him slowly grow into his body in San Jose. There is nothing left for him in Boston.

The problem with having Celebrini with the Sharks next year is that he'll spend most of his ice time on our zone and not having enough opportunity to really work on his offense. Get a puck-moving defenseman or two could help the flow of game.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I said this in Smith's thread, but I think it's not completely "ball in their court" -- I think Grier will also push a sales job on them depending on an offseason UFA/trade plan and a coaching plan. Either way, we'll know quickly after the draft and before FA. Celebrini will sign right away, or if we get to Jul 1 and he hasn't signed then they're probably both going back and we're gonna likely have an ugly year.

Grier is definitely going to do a sales job on them as much as is necessary, don't think much is necessary though. Part of it has to be who the HC is, so hopefully whoever the HC is, it gets announced this month (unless the Sharks are really hoping for a playoff HC/AC to be available), and the choice pleases Mackdaddy and The Slapper. I'd like to think names like Warsofsky and Carle appeal more to our dynamic duo than the likes of Woodcroft, Berube or Gallant.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The sales job isn’t really that difficult. Just ask a simple question: Do you want to give up about 1 million dollars to go back to school for another year?
Thank you. Still insane people are talking about it like it's much of a choice. It's not like these guys are earning Caitlin Clark NIL money. Unless there is a compelling reason, it would be foolish to take an injury risk with another year in NCAA before even signing your first NHL ELC. And all the more reason to get your ELC over with that much sooner, to get you closer to your second contract that much sooner, etc. Both these guys could come into the league and put up Eichel-like numbers, and then earn themselves an Eichel-like second contract (8 years, $80M total). It would be very much LOLSHARKSLOL for both of them to go back to the NCAA, only to both suffer career-destroying injuries.

It's really BC and BU putting the full court press to convince these guys to stay at their respective schools versus Grier selling these guys on the NHL now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Alright lets make this draft happen MG!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-051210.png
    Screenshot_20240508-051210.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 3

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The sales job isn’t really that difficult. Just ask a simple question: Do you want to give up about 1 million dollars to go back to school for another year?
Again, Smith will get the same money whether he signs right now or next April. And Smith and/or Celebrini are much more likely to get injured in the NHL than in the NCAA.

There’s just some bad logic going on here.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Finding the franchise C is the hardest thing to do in building an NHL team. Thinking we got him, and hopefully another #1 C to boot. Eklund/Musty look to be top 6 wingers. If we draft another C in the next couple years (McKenna, Misa, Hagens, Frondell) we can likely put Smith on the wing.

Hopefully the team can find a 2/3 D-man with 14th+ a trade up. You can find d-men all over the place in trade, free agency, and drafting in a way you seldom do with #1 D-men. That said, I'd love to walk out of the draft with Celebrini+Buium even if we spend all 3 other top 90 picks to move up. Aside from Celebrini, my thought was always, well at least we can count on a 2/3 d-man out of this draft. Getting both would just be wild.

It also means that we don't have to be so thirsty for d-men in future drafts.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
How cool is it to have arguably the two best players in the NCAA as freshman, one as a 17YO freshman to boot?

And we should be getting another forward with top 6 potential or D with top pairing potential at 14. And two early seconds.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Congrats on winning the lottery. Finally the NHL lets a Californian team not named LA Kings win the #1 pick( Kings had 1st overall in their first draft). I had assumed that Utah or Chicago would win it.
Celebrini/Smith/Eklund/Bystedt/Bordelau that is some Center depth. Now you guys just need a blue chip Dman prospect but I suspect the Sharks could use their #14 + a 2nd to move up and pick YakemcChuck or Buium.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Congrats on winning the lottery. Finally the NHL lets a Californian team not named LA Kings win the #1 pick( Kings had 1st overall in their first draft). I had assumed that Utah or Chicago would win it.

I'm guessing the Sharks will use #14 on a Dman, perhaps even trade up for YakemcChuck or Buium.
It doesn't seem Silayev is gonna drop after looking at McKenzie's final list, his lists always the most accurate with how the draft unfolds.
Yakemchuk is probably ideal. Buium is probably a bit out of our range to trade up to and not really worth the cost to do so. Something like 80% of trade ups are bad in retrospect

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m greedy so of course I want to see them both in the NHL next season. But there would be no downside to letting them play out one more season in the NCAA.

1. Trade 14+33 to Ottawa for 7, get Buium
2. Have the three best players in the NCAA
3. Get another top-5 pick, grab a top defenseman in 2025
4. Convince David Carle to come coach
5. Profit

I can dream.
The downside is that you severely hamstring the coaching candidate pool by having to coach a team that has nothing and then rely on rookies to save your job in Year 2 when your predecessor got canned after 2 years of bad rosters. Celebrini is the biggest chip we have as it relates to getting a quality coach. Who wants to come coach a bunch of lame duck players rather than start building your core around player and coach?

You also run into the issue of there being a chance that Smith and Celebrini both want to burn ELC years (because why wouldn't they) after their seasons end and you blow an entire ELC year for your 2 top prospects for less than 10 combined games (or you tell them no and get that relationship off to a splendid start).

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Again, Smith will get the same money whether he signs right now or next April. And Smith and/or Celebrini are much more likely to get injured in the NHL than in the NCAA.

There’s just some bad logic going on here.
Are you sure it’s the same money? I know he will burn a year of his elc either way but I would expect his salary for the 1st year would be pro rated for the time he is actually on the team. So, if I’m right, it is still costing him hundreds of thousands of dollars to go back to school.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Are you sure it’s the same money? I know he will burn a year of his elc either way but I would expect his salary for the 1st year would be pro rated for the time he is actually on the team. So, if I’m right, it is still costing him hundreds of thousands of dollars to go back to school.
It would be prorated based on days on the roster compared to the length of the season as defined in the CBA.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I've been trying to temper my expectations leading up to the lottery.

Was planning for #2 or #3 so I wouldn't be devastated by the statistical likelihood, but now that we've won it I've been binging a lot of Macklin content and man oh man, he is so special.

He truly is as close to a flawless prospect as I've seen in sometime.

Plays a complete 200' game, total attention to detail, doesn't skip out on C responsibilities to scam points, über high end skill. We're so lucky.

He looks like a dream linemate for any winger and he looks even more joyful to get to watch as a fan.

He just has that aura of a cerebral dominant #1C that drives play and controls high impact playoff shifts.

I would take winning #1 in this lottery over just about every other one that didn't have a """generational talent""", he's right on the cusp.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I've been trying to temper my expectations leading up to the lottery.

Was planning for #2 or #3 so I wouldn't be devastated by the statistical likelihood, but now that we've won it I've been binging a lot of Macklin content and man oh man, he is so special.

He truly is as close to a flawless prospect as I've seen in sometime.

Plays a complete 200' game, total attention to detail, doesn't skip out on C responsibilities to scam points, über high end skill. We're so lucky.

He looks like a dream linemate for any winger and he looks even more joyful to get to watch as a fan.

He just has that aura of a cerebral dominant #1C that drives play and controls high impact playoff shifts.

I would take winning #1 in this lottery over just about every other one that didn't have a """generational talent""", he's right on the cusp.

Man he looks exciting.

Also, I can’t wait for him and Eklund to do simultaneous spinnies. We can call them the hurricanes wait no

Reactions: cheechoo

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Thank you. Still insane people are talking about it like it's much of a choice. It's not like these guys are earning Caitlin Clark NIL money. Unless there is a compelling reason, it would be foolish to take an injury risk with another year in NCAA before even signing your first NHL ELC. And all the more reason to get your ELC over with that much sooner, to get you closer to your second contract that much sooner, etc. Both these guys could come into the league and put up Eichel-like numbers, and then earn themselves an Eichel-like second contract (8 years, $80M total). It would be very much LOLSHARKSLOL for both of them to go back to the NCAA, only to both suffer career-destroying injuries.

It's really BC and BU putting the full court press to convince these guys to stay at their respective schools versus Grier selling these guys on the NHL now.
I mean, Caitlin Clark is an outlier, but how is anyone certain that the powerhouse school with the 1OA and the wealthy school with their famous 1C, both in a college hockey crazy region, both national championship contenders, can't funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars to them through NIL? I'd be shocked if they're not making close to 100k at least.

The argument that they're giving up money hinges on the idea that their development stalls in the NCAA and they would miss out on a better contract on the end of the deal.

I don't have a strong feeling either way what they'll decide, makes sense to sign, would be typical for Macklin as 1OA, but I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad