Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So glad all the hype I've given him the past couple years seems to have been warranted lmao

He looks great out there! Will thrive for many years on our top pairing

The hype was build around his impressive resume. I think many overlooked how he dominated in back to back WJC (both age 18 and 19) and looked at his sheltered KHL stats where he didn't play PP or many min's a game.

Good trivia I don't have the answer for: When was the last time an 18 year old won the best D man in the WJC tournament?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I saw a decent amount of him with CSKA and I legit didn't even know he had that tool to begin with ! They really didn't use him to his full potential in hindsight.

It's cause his coach was building him from the back end out and they didn't want him to focus on offense first. There was an article I read about that after his 1st KHL season. Some NHL development camps need to take notice IMO! Like the Leafs

We really can't thank that KHL team enough for developing him the right way IMO.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
The hype was build around his impressive resume. I think many overlooked how he dominated in back to back WJC (both age 18 and 19) and looked at his sheltered KHL stats where he didn't play PP or many min's a game.

Good trivia I don't have the answer for: When was the last time an 18 year old won the best D man in the WJC tournament?
Rasmus Dahlin the year before on top of my head, he was 17.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's cause his coach was building him from the back end out and they didn't want him to focus on offense first. There was an article I read about that after his 1st KHL season. Some NHL development camps need to take notice IMO! Like the Leafs

We really can't thank that KHL team enough for developing him the right way IMO.
They do tend to take the slow route with development over there. This can stifle a prospect in some cases but if the kid has a good attitude he can really benefit from it over time.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007

"You play with confidence. What makes the difference?"

"Because I can play like that. Because I can help my team when I play like that."

That was such a stupid question. I understand english and still don't really know how to answer that question. Imagine a kid that struggles with the language.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't care what anyone says but Romanov has been our second best D after Petry this year. Yes better than Weber

This guy is the future backbone of our D corps. Hell i say future but he kind of already is right now lol

He has been good,better than anticipated, but different role than the others. What Weber and Chariot do is prevent teams from cycling due to shear size and girth.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Yeah man. This is business. Teams are getting taxed. We get a few points each time. I'm dying for a Sopranos GDT now.

latest

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

I've been wildly pro-Romanov on here for some time now, watched most of his KHL play and of course at the WJC

I've always said he has #1D potential, let's all hope he gets there!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

This year's WJC had one.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Agreed. The kid has been one of the most used Dmen against McDavid, Draistaitl, Matthews and Tavares. Including in the final minutes of regulation in a tie game. Hardly sheltered.

I saw an analysis that, at least in the first Oilers game, Julien only put him on after the McDavid line had just left the ice. I didn't see much of the game and I'm not expert. I think he still has not been on for a goal against? In the juniors he was into the medal round before he was on the ice for a goal against.

Reactions: Canadienna

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Sergachev-Weber
Romanov-Petry

Would effectively be a sick top 4 in the making. Romanov will climb the depth chart quickly if he continues to play like that and he will solve the biggest problem our "improved defense" had for the last 3 years.

Reactions: montreal

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Screenshot_20200819-060034_Twitter.jpg

But..

We would probably have the best D in the league with Sergachev, Romanov, Weber and Petry.

f***ing Drouin.
Drouin is such a big mistake with hindsight. It was bad at the time. It's terrible in hindsight. We have more wingers than we know what to do with and would be sitting pretty with Sergachev in the top 4. We wouldn't have had to overpay for Edmundson and wouldn't need to let Tatar and possibly Danault walk at the end of the season for cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad