Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Romanov is not allowed to play in the play in round, he does not play again until November or December? That would be a very long break for him. NHL needs to consider this and as Bergevin said, Other teams have a similar situation.

I say he should be allowed to play.

I agree he should be allowed to play. And so should the players for the other teams that are in this same situation.

If I'm not mistaken, MB said that if he is not allowed to play and the NHL & AHL start later next season, they may load him to a team in Europe so he plays games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree he should be allowed to play. And so should the players for the other teams that are in this same situation.

If I'm not mistaken, MB said that if he is not allowed to play and the NHL & AHL start later next season, they may load him to a team in Europe so he plays games.

If Makar can play the playoffs coming out of the NCAA, others from other leagues should be able too. It makes no sense to keep Romanov and others from playing hockey for 8 or 9 months! Change the rules. If you sign your prospect and can fit them in the cap, let them play! A free agent signing though? Not sure about that. Sorry Toronto :laugh:

Loaning him to Europe would be a good idea! Bouncing from league to league is risky to his development though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Makar can play the playoffs coming out of the NCAA, others from other leagues should be able too. It makes no sense to keep Romanov and others from playing hockey for 8 or 9 months! Change the rules. If you sign your prospect and can fit them in the cap, let them play! A free agent signing though? Not sure about that. Sorry Toronto :laugh:

Loaning him to Europe would be a good idea! Bouncing from league to league is risky to his development though.

I agree. Every other year, players on teams' reserve lists that are signed late in the year are eligible to play to end the season and into the playoffs.

Makar being one example. Kreider for the Rangers many years ago is another.

And probably the best example (which Romanov's agent uses), last year, between Game 2 and Game 3 of the Columbus/Tampa series, the Blue Jackets signed their 6th round pick Vladislav Gavrikov who had just finished his year in the KHL. He was signed on April 13th, the next night, he was in the line-up for Game 3.

If it's a UFA signing, like you said, that is different. But every year, if you sign a player on your reserve list, they are eligible to join and play, however late in the sesaon/playoffs.

So I'm hoping the NHLPA rejects this because they have a say.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree. Every other year, players on teams' reserve lists that are signed late in the year are eligible to play to end the season and into the playoffs.

Makar being one example. Kreider for the Rangers many years ago is another.

And probably the best example (which Romanov's agent uses), last year, between Game 2 and Game 3 of the Columbus/Tampa series, the Blue Jackets signed their 6th round pick Vladislav Gavrikov who had just finished his year in the KHL. He was signed on April 13th, the next night, he was in the line-up for Game 3.

If it's a UFA signing, like you said, that is different. But every year, if you sign a player on your reserve list, they are eligible to join and play, however late in the sesaon/playoffs.

So I'm hoping the NHLPA rejects this because they have a say.

What annoys me is if the Habs push for something now, the NHL likely says... "yeah but you made the play in round and you can beat the Pens". They will try to over use that card IMO

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What annoys me is if the Habs push for something now, the NHL likely says... "yeah but you made the play in round and you can beat the Pens". They will try to over use that card IMO

It's not just the Habs, it's Minny, NYI, Florida, Chicago and STL. It's either all of them or none of them.

Reactions: Video Coach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not just the Habs, it's Minny, NYI, Florida, Chicago and STL. It's either all of them or none of them.

Yeah but we were well out and there is this "deserve" narrative going round. Only team close to us is the Blackhawks. Rest had a shot at making the playoffs. So you better bet the NHL will use that card on us if we ask for other things.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah but we were well out and there is this "deserve" narrative going round. Only team close to us is the Blackhawks. Rest had a shot at making the playoffs. So you better bet the NHL will use that card on us if we ask for other things.

That's irrelevant if Minny, NYI, Florida, Chicago and STL ask for it too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Like Treb said, it's not just the Habs who are on standby.

Hockey Transactions listed Leonard for the Sharks. But since they won't play before next year, then his ELC will start next year.

But there are also:
Florida: Denisenko
Chicago: Mitchell
St. Louis: Perunovich
Vegas: Dugan

The NHL can't tell the Habs that they are in the Play-In round because two of the teams that are waiting for this decision are teams that are already in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It's not a narrative FFS

Wake up ans smell the damn roses, habs had around a 1% chance of making the playoffs. That's not a narrative, it's reality.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like Treb said, it's not just the Habs who are on standby.

Hockey Transactions listed Leonard for the Sharks. But since they won't play before next year, then his ELC will start next year.

But there are also:
Florida: Denisenko
Chicago: Mitchell
St. Louis: Perunovich
Vegas: Dugan

The NHL can't tell the Habs that they are in the Play-In round because two of the teams that are waiting for this decision are teams that are already in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I think they will let them play. But if it's voted on... Teams who don't have this situation will out vote them? Very curious to see what they decide. Because there is no decision yet, it tells me there is lots of talk about it behind the scenes

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think they will let them play. But if it's voted on... Teams who don't have this situation will out vote them? Very curious to see what they decide. Because there is no decision yet, it tells me there is lots of talk about it behind the scenes

Definitely talks behind the scenes. And the fact they push the deadline back means they are giving themselves more room before they have to make a decision.

But the players don't really look at it like "well if my team isn't in this situation, then I vote no.'' I think they look out for each other more than anything.

My guess, though, this isn't a case of the players voting. It's more the executives of the NHLPA and NHL that are in talks.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Definitely talks behind the scenes. And the fact they push the deadline back means they are giving themselves more room before they have to make a decision.

But the players don't really look at it like "well if my team isn't in this situation, then I vote no.'' I think they look out for each other more than anything.

My guess, though, this isn't a case of the players voting. It's more the executives of the NHLPA and NHL that are in talks.

It's opportunity to make it right. Stop the bias from NCAA vs Euro leagues. If you sign your property and can fit them in the cap, equal rules for all prospects. Makar can play, so can the others. Even if we didn't have Romanov, I'd feel the same.

Same goes for NCAA players allowed to screw over the team the drafts them. Fix that problem too please.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Spin vs word choice sensitivity? Anyways, it's all good. I think/hope you got the point. BTW, I could have flipped out on your choice of word ... "Spin" and I didn't ;)

Word choice sensitivity?

Do you even know what a narrative is?

It's when you correlate several seperated facts to form a specific picture. It's usually referred to in a derogative manner to portray someone's argument as story rather than fact.

Here, we're talking about simply looking at one stat. Their playoff probabilities.

A narrative of a single fact. That's some massive story building, right there.

You know exactly what you were doing by using that word. It shows a complete inability to recognize the validity of what is one simple obvious fact. They were all but eliminated.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's opportunity to make it right. Stop the bias from NCAA vs Euro leagues. If you sign your property and can fit them in the cap, equal rules for all prospects. Makar can play, so can the others. Even if we didn't have Romanov, I'd feel the same.

Same goes for NCAA players allowed to screw over the team the drafts them. Fix that problem too please

It's not a case of NCAA players vs. Euro leagues.

European players have always been allowed to join their teams in other years. I gave the example of Gavrikov last year. He came from a European league. Also Columbus, once Texier finished his year in Liiga, he came over and played to end the season and in the playoffs.

Also on standby this year are Ian Mitchell and Scott Perunovich, and they're both coming from the NCAA.

So there is no favoring NCAA over European leagues.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not a case of NCAA players vs. Euro leagues.

European players have always been allowed to join their teams in other years. I gave the example of Gavrikov last year. He came from a European league. Also Columbus, once Texier finished his year in Liiga, he came over and played to end the season and in the playoffs.

Also on standby this year are Ian Mitchell and Scott Perunovich, and they're both coming from the NCAA.

So there is no favoring NCAA over European leagues.

So why is Romaonv and others blocked from playing or there is even a conversation about it?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So why is Romaonv and others blocked from playing or there is even a conversation about it?

I don't know why and I honestly don't understand why. They do it every other year, why is this year any different? If they can join them in the playoffs other years, why can't they join them this year. The pandemic isn't a reason why you can't put your reserve players under contract to play this year if they do indeed play.

But I just wanted to point out there is no NCAA bias.

As I mentioned, Ian Mitchell (CHI) and Scott Perunovich (STL) are from the NCAA and they are also in the same exact situation as Romanov & Denisenko, who are coming from European leagues.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad