Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
He looks older than 19

no_country_for_old_men_390_0.jpg
Say what you want, he is charismatic enough for Penelope Cruz.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Don't look good according to what Bill Daily said a while ago... unless they change their minds which is unlikely.

May 8th statement: NHL's Daly would be 'very surprised' if Alexander Romanov is eligible to play this season - TheHockeyNews

It's what I expected, but it still sucks that he won't be able to play for us this year. Romanov's just so good defensively, so physical and quick, is so ferocious clearing the front of the net that I sometimes wonder if he's not part honeybadger, his shot is pretty good too, and I simply think he'd be breath of fresh air for the left side of our D, playing alongside either Weber or Petry.

Chiarot and Mete are okay, but at this point they are more good #5 defensemen than players really worthy of a top-4 spot. If Mete ever learns to shoot at an actual NHL level and starts gaining confidence, he could be something, but until then he's still a bottom-pairing defenseman (or worse) on almost every good team in the league.

Romanov is our best bet for a long-term fix at that position, plus the other good pieces we have in the pipeline, but if I were the GM, I'd try my best to acquire another more proven guy on the left side on a short-term deal to go alongside him next year, maybe insulate him a bit instead of throwing him to the wolves and hoping he makes the most of it as we usually do.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's what I expected, but it still sucks that he won't be able to play for us this year. Romanov's just so good defensively, so physical and quick, is so ferocious clearing the front of the net that I sometimes wonder if he's not part honeybadger, his shot is pretty good too, and I simply think he'd be breath of fresh air for the left side of our D, playing alongside either Weber or Petry.

Chiarot and Mete are okay, but at this point they are more good #5 defensemen than players really worthy of a top-4 spot. If Mete ever learns to shoot at an actual NHL level and starts gaining confidence, he could be something, but until then he's still a bottom-pairing defenseman (or worse) on almost every good team in the league.

Romanov is our best bet for a long-term fix at that position, plus the other good pieces we have in the pipeline, but if I were the GM, I'd try my best to acquire another more proven guy on the left side on a short-term deal to go alongside him next year, maybe insulate him a bit instead of throwing him to the wolves and hoping he makes the most of it as we usually do.

The addition of a player like Dunn (a Juulsen equivalent -- before the injury -- on the left side) wouldn't hurt and doesn't need to be so costly in terms of assets.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
The addition of a player like Dunn (a Juulsen equivalent -- before the injury -- on the left side) wouldn't hurt and doesn't need to be so costly in terms of assets.

It also allows Romanov to be sheltered in his development, but if he ends up being as good as some people hope we can move him up the lineup. Start the season with this:

Free Agent/Trade - Weber
Chairot - Petry
Romanov - Juulsen
Kulak

And go from there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

100%! Sucks if he won't be able to play. Would be a good test for him and we would get to see what he can do.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You don't think playing in the "play in" playoffs will help his development? Getting a taste of competition helps set his goals of what part of the game he wants to work on bud.
I don't. Use the guys that were here before Covid19 hit.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

We feel the same exact way.

Every other year, players coming out of the NCAA and Europe were allowed to play to end the season and into the playoffs if their team qualified. I'm not sure I understand why they can't do it this year.

Hopefully the NHLPA rejects the NHL's decision and that teams can have these players.

Habs: Romanov
Hawks: Ian Mitchell
Blues: Scott Perunovich
Panthers: Denisenko

And Minnesota can then sign Kaprisov and Isles sign Sokolov and have them join their teams. Apparently, they are waiting to see what the final decision will be before they put pen to paper.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
You know why that I dont want To Romanov in those playoffs?

Because he will help us from the get go and we could beat Pitt and I dont want that.

I wrote a few weeks ago that he will have an impact on our defense a lot faster than some thinks.

In my view he is Nhl ready not just to play on a third pair but on our Top4 almost immediately.

I have seen all his presence on the ice in his 2 world juniors and...
My god...except of the fact that he is not dominant on the power play Romanov is so good in all aspects of his game

Reactions: jaffy27 and dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Romanov is not allowed to play in the play in round, he does not play again until November or December? That would be a very long break for him. NHL needs to consider this and as Bergevin said, Other teams have a similar situation.

I say he should be allowed to play.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
it's really stupid, I dont know why it's really different than Gavrikov or Radulov or Gusev from a competition point of view...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There's an interesting rumor that 2 of Romanov's teammates that signed the same TBD contracts with the Wild and NYI, will now opt to return to the KHL next season because the NHL isn't allowing them to play this year so then they wouldn't be able to burn a year off their ELC. Since Romanov is only 19 I don't see it impacting him but for the other two it makes more sense since they are older.

Now what makes it interesting is how much pressure can the NYI and Wild owners put on Bettman/Daley as for the Wild you are talking about one of the best prospects in the world outside the NHL so not only would they not have him for the playoffs but to then lose him for next season as well really stings. So perhaps if enough pressure is applied then the NHL will change their stance as it would at least make this sham tournament more fun to watch if Romanov were to play.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad