Tribute Alexander Romanov: Good luck in NYI

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As bad as Jeff Petry has been this year, there’s no thread about his play.

This is Habs nation in a nutshell…ignore the guy whose supposed to be showing guys like Romanov the example.

Focus on the youngest member of the Defence and demand he play mistake-free hockey.

If you’re a vested veteran, it’s OK to suck…if you’re a young player with less than an NHL season under his belt, you better not mess up.

Or else it’s Laval!

SMDH

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
But hopefully some people had a reality check on Romanov's potential. The hype was astounding prior to his arrival. Like Poehling, a good wjc performance seems to elevate expectations even mor
I agree, but the GM himself was talking about him as a potential top pairing D.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't watched the games much at all so I can't speak to how he looks. I did suggest that like Poehling this fan base was overrating him due to the WJC's but felt he would be an NHLer for sure. I would have preferred he started out last year in Laval but if he had an out clause then that could be an issue (though I thought he said he would play in the AHL but I could be wrong).

As for sending him down now, just an FYI... since he was considered to be 19 when he signed, the Habs get 4 years of waiver exemption or 147 NHL games played (that's a pro rated # due to covid shortened season). So once he plays 84 NHL games he can't be sent down or in 3 years if he were sent down and didn't come back up.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He got the potential to become a good top 4, but he isn't the top pairing defenseman potential I see in WJC.

Kaiden Guhle is the most D prospect who can become a top pairing defenseman. (Struble have big tools too, if Mailloux can put points in OHL, the potential is there too).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He got the potential to become a good top 4, but he isn't the top pairing defenseman potential I see in WJC.

Kaiden Guhle is the most D prospect who can become a top pairing defenseman. (Struble have big tools too, if Mailloux can put points in OHL, the potential is there too).

Romanov needs to improve on his passing in tight spaces. If he can do that he should be a good one. And yes, he probably won't be a number 1, due to offensive limiations. But right now, it's all about him learning to read the play quickly and make a good pass in tight space.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He's terrible every single game - and this team tends to go as Jeff Petry plays and he's in one of his "sucky" phases.

There's no in-between for Petry...he's either really good, or he's bad.

Last two years were really the exception. He was always like this beforehand.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Last two years were really the exception. He was always like this beforehand.
There were still periods the last 2 seasons where he would go long stretches of play where he just wasn't good.

Not as frequent the last 2 seasons, yes agreed...but you can trace back each of our dry spells last year and they coincide with Petry's form.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
There were still periods the last 2 seasons where he would go long stretches of play where he just wasn't good.

Not as frequent the last 2 seasons, yes agreed...but you can trace back each of our dry spells last year and they coincide with Petry's form.

Yeah that's also right. It was just way less frequent. But he still had massive brain lapses along the way.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
That's part of being young, raw and inconsistent. He's still learning and he'll get there. What's important imo is to see flashes. And we're seeing them.
It's all about the flashes this year. I want flashes of his ceiling this year. The consistency will come.

Reactions: Gravity

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's the other way around. He's a follower, always has been... he plays well when the team play well but he'll never lead them out of this funk.

Ummm....no.

Enormous confirmation bias at work here. The team does well when their best dman is playing well, and Petry is very inconsistent which is reflected in the teams overall play. This team goes on wild swings depending on which end of the roller coaster Petry and Price are on. Suzuki is very young but he has been wildly inconsistent as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad