Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I understand the OPs pov - and partially agree w/him. Also think the league has, to a degree, let him down.

However, I'm not for trading Ovechkin... yet. More or less the Caps need to go back to the future with Oates. Give Oates some time and stop w/all the system & coaching changes. This has nearly destroyed the psyche of the team and #8 :shakehead

Hopefully, regardless of how this season pans out, they can come roaring back as legit contenders ;)

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
It's just not fair on him to see him suffer, a guy who is just as if not more talented than Sid, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk etc. doesn't deserve to be let down by an organisation time and time again.

I hope he gets traded to a contender and wins the cups he deserves. Why should all the players above get to have great coaches, GM's and linemates all around them while he is stuck with a bunch of stone hands who can't even get a simple shot on net from the blue line without it resulting in a 1 on 1 for the opposition?

The only players with a modicum of flair, talent and creativity are Ribs and Nicky but the rest are so average it is incredible. Here's hoping he goes to an organisation that will be run the right way so he can flourish and get the recognition his talent merits. I'm a Cap through and through and no matter who comes and goes i'll still be tuned in to just every game but personally the one thing in hockey i HATE is good/great players not getting the success they deserve because of the ineptitude around them (a la LeBron James in Cleveland).

P.S. Don't give me the rubbish about his contract, he got that contract because he was playing at a level that we hadn't seen since Gretzky and since then he's been let down in the playoffs by everyone around him.

Hobovechkin-e1297171081645_zpsad674ccc.jpg

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Ovechkin cares and he knows exactly what the Caps organization is all about. A joke! He is pizzed off and clearly doesn't want to be there. He knows he best get out for his career. He can and should.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
There's no doubt that the team is stagnant right now. We haven't had an infusion of youth and excitement for a while now, but it's coming. Forsberg possibly by next year, Kuznetsov in two years and whoever we draft this year will all have the potential to fill in those gaps in the top 6 that are currently being filled by guys like Chimera who are being forced to play over their optimal roles. To trade OV before seeing the fruits of several years of effective drafting just doesn't make sense to me.

I appreciate your viewpoint, however, and OV certainly deserves to win but it will happen with the Capitals I hope.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Ovechkin is now 3 goals from 350 and 4 assists from 350 for his career, all in 570 games.

Say he gets 3 goals and 4 assists in his next 4 games (wishful thinking, maybe), he'd have 350g + 350a in 574g, which comes out to exactly 50 goals and 100 points per 82 games for his career. Incredible.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ovechkin is now 3 goals from 350 and 4 assists from 350 for his career, all in 570 games.

Say he gets 3 goals and 4 assists in his next 4 games (wishful thinking, maybe), he'd have 350g + 350a in 574g, which comes out to exactly 50 goals and 100 points per 82 games for his career. Incredible.

Sure but what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow...?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Sabres fan here :)

I don't think you should trade a 27 year old Ovi. The caps are having a bad year after a lockout with a new coach and the 3rd coach in 3 seasons, thats no reason to trade Ovi. Maybe because you see him all the time, you take him for granted, or you have unrealistic expectations for him. Would you expect the Penguins to trade Crosby or Tampa to trade Stamkos? Ovi is that calibre of talent, and you don't just trade that away, you lock him up and let him play his entire career there.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Milbury openly ripped him on TV last night. I'm not a big fan of Milbury but he was right on the money and they showed the replays to back it up.

SchultzSquared*

Not a Caps fan... but outside looking in... I think trading Ovi could be like the Thornton trade for Boston... hopefully the return is not that bad... but it was a culture shift for Boston... and gave them the cap room to get the players who fit the identity they wanted... no Bruins fan today would tell you they regret Thornton for a pile of crap... because it meant they got Chara and the 5th overall pick...

SO let's say Ovechkin is moved for a package that does not help right away... Caps finish bottom five...

They gain:

a) Players/picks for Ovi
b) One of Jones/McKinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Monahan
c) Cap room for Getzlaf/Perry
d) Culture change
e) Youth movement to Forsberg/Kuznetsov/2013 pick/whoever for Ovi

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So long as McPhee is running the show nothing changes no matter the personnel. So maybe yeah. Give Ovi an out for his own sake, but it won't benefit the team.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I come in peace!

You wont get fair market value. You are not trading a franchise player who is performing with a huge contract. You are trading a huge contract player that is underperforming and may or may not get to his previous level.

Any team who takes him on will pay a price and given the cap limitations, have a tough time building a team.

So any team that trades for him can NOT give up cheap prospects because it limits their payroll. What you will get back are late 20 year olds that amount to the same $$$$ level.

From us, the "best" I can see that would serve you is Pacioretty. We give up a budding 40 goal scorer that is worth 3-4 million for the next few years and taking back a HUGE salary and hope, lots of hope......

Similar deals from other team for "young" cheap players.

PSUCapsFan

Jan 8, 2010
Irvine, CA
I come in peace!

You wont get fair market value. You are not trading a franchise player who is performing with a huge contract. You are trading a huge contract player that is underperforming and may or may not get to his previous level.

Any team who takes him on will pay a price and given the cap limitations, have a tough time building a team.

So any team that trades for him can NOT give up cheap prospects because it limits their payroll. What you will get back are late 20 year olds that amount to the same $$$$ level.

From us, the "best" I can see that would serve you is Pacioretty. We give up a budding 40 goal scorer that is worth 3-4 million for the next few years and taking back a HUGE salary and hope, lots of hope......

Similar deals from other team for "young" cheap players.

Zdeno-Chara-Max-Pacioretty.gif

Pacioretty is trash. You can keep your "budding" young scorer.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I come in peace!

Yes, and this is why Ovechkin will not be traded.
The only scenario is that some crazy GM tries to hit jackpot at trading for Ovechkin and hoping for his rebound - so he suggests something absolutely crazy. Not only will we need to fill the hole for Ovechkin, it's not like we're set at any position (except for PMDs). If you're starting with Pacioretty... add Price+ at the very least.

XDC-RES

Root for the Laundry
Aug 29, 2005
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You guys realize who would be trading Ovechkin, right?

Do you really want GMGM involved in a trade that includes Ovechkin? Would probably be a bad trade for him. Would definitely be a bad trade for the fans.

Nothing good would come of that idiot trading Ovechkin on either end. Son of a ***** would probably trade him to the Penguins or the Flyers.

Totally. Given his horrible trading record, especially when selling players, it would almost definitely be a complete disaster.

GMGM has his faults but if you think his trading ability is one of them you just aren't paying attention.

So Ovechkin is the problem with the team then?

I thought it was Semin?

Love how outsiders love to shed insight into a situation that they are far removed from.

Let me HIT ALL OF YOU WITH SOME KNOWLEDGE! :)

In 1988 it was pretty much common belief that the problem with our team stemmed from Larry Murphy and his suckage.

In 2003 we all were sick and tired of Sergei Gonchar (I was one of the biggest culprits btw) and were sure he would be addition by subtraction.

Over time I have come to realize that it is not individual players that are a "problem". It is the collection of the parts and will always be that way.

Both Murphy and Gonchar had great success after leaving the Caps and both won cups (in the case of Murphy several).

Jagr won cups before he was here and even led the league in scoring after he left.

We just have never had the combination of the correct architecht and owner willing to spend at the same time in our history.

Ovechkin isn't the problem and none of Murphy, Gonchar, Jagr etc were either.

This is the big picture. And one painted by someone who has been watching and paying attention for a long time.

The knee-jerking around here is out of control.

I agree, we need a new architect. I'm not a GMGM hater by any stretch. In fact, I think he's a very good GM. But it's time for a new approach.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Surprised and not surprised at a lot of the responses on here. OV I think is the best goal scorer in the league (when he is on). But that contract and what appears to be, from an outsider anyway, mental toughness issues or something seem to be bringing down the Caps. He still would fetch a ridiculous package and trading him may very well be better for the team in the long run. I'd be interested as a Flyers fan, but I don't think they have the pieces it would take to get him.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
What on earth is fair value?

I'd do it for Ladd and Enstrom/byufwhatever

Then trade Green for whatever and draft Mckinnon.

It's probably not time to try something new, but it might be. The post on Thornton was a good one.

Last edited:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Not a Caps fan... but outside looking in... I think trading Ovi could be like the Thornton trade for Boston... hopefully the return is not that bad... but it was a culture shift for Boston... and gave them the cap room to get the players who fit the identity they wanted... no Bruins fan today would tell you they regret Thornton for a pile of crap... because it meant they got Chara and the 5th overall pick...

SO let's say Ovechkin is moved for a package that does not help right away... Caps finish bottom five...

They gain:

a) Players/picks for Ovi
b) One of Jones/McKinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Monahan
c) Cap room for Getzlaf/Perry
d) Culture change
e) Youth movement to Forsberg/Kuznetsov/2013 pick/whoever for Ovi

This!

I Dont think Ovie is done, but like stated above, a culture change is needed. And from what I can tell, as long as Ovie is a Cap it's going to be his team and his lockerroom!

Something like:
Ryan + 1st + B prospect or lesser roster player/better 1st/A prospect

SchultzSquared*

What on earth is fair value?

I'd do it for Ladd and Enstrom/byufwhatever

Then trade Green for whatever and draft Mckinnon.

This is about what you have to look at... now that Perry is for sure going UFA... there is your replacement 50-goal winger... Leonsis is good at his sales pitches (might be only thing he is good at as owner)

Think you have to have these criteria...

1. Top 10 pick
2. Young LW
3. Young D

With the quality of each piece changing as the others do...

So...

BUF: Ennis, Myers, BUF 1st
FLA: Huberdeau, Petrovic, FLA 1st
NYI: Grabner, Reinhart, NYI 1st
COL: McGinn, EJ, K. Patterson, COL 1st
WPG: Ladd, Bogosian, WPG 1st
EDM: Yakupov, Klefbom, EDM 1st

Of course the Rangers would want in...

NYR: Hagelin/Callahan, Del Zotto, Thomas, McIlrath

I think all those help Caps now and in future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad