Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 4)

Kuz

May 11, 2015
It's got to be a unique streak now going 6 games with a goal while losing all of those games, never-mind the team is on a total 8 game skid. I actually don't even recall a player on a goal streak of 4+ where his team lost every game.
They won over Boston in those games.

Reactions: Block

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ouch. Thanks for explaining it, guys. Not the answer I WANTED to hear, but thank you! In other words, Ovi gets hot for the 2nd half of the season, conditions like crazy in the off season and plays like he's 30 again this fall. Hey, why not?
First half of your prediction may be coming true. He’s rebounded, and could squeeze 25+ now. I think 30 is a hill too tall, but he’s not the guy I’d bet against for it.

He’s got what, or so games to get 16 more goals?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I think people are overreacting a little bit to this hot streak. Not that I’m not loving it. But his shooting percentage was so low earlier in the year. Now pucks that should not go in are. Weird deflection against Vancouver, miss hit one timer against Colorado. Many of these were not going in earlier. Hope the luck continues but I don’t think OV is playing radically different hockey.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think people are overreacting a little bit to this hot streak. Not that I’m not loving it. But his shooting percentage was so low earlier in the year. Now pucks that should not go in are. Weird deflection against Vancouver, miss hit one timer against Colorado. Many of these were not going in earlier. Hope the luck continues but I don’t think OV is playing radically different hockey.
He had 25 shots in 10 games in Jan. He has 19 in 5 in February…..he’s doing something….

….”radically different“ seems like an exaggeration however….

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He had 25 shots in 10 games in Jan. He has 19 in 5 in February…..he’s doing something….
Exactly, and it could be a lot of stuff.

It could be "f*** it, if it's not coming easy I'm working for them", it could be that he got a little respite from his injury (which I've maintained was real for quite some time) or it could be statistics just equalizing because this dude had a lot of posts and offside goals earlier. You take them, and I see good signs overall.

plus he's been weird because this has maybe been the first major blow to his confidence since the Olympics. This streak might just snap that.

Edit: well, Hunter Hockey too

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
It's got to be a unique streak now going 6 games with a goal while losing all of those games, never-mind the team is on a total 8 game skid. I actually don't even recall a player on a goal streak of 4+ where his team lost every game

*shrug* We need more high draft picks and we're living for 895 in the meantime. So a reality where Ovi starts scoring goals again and we're losing doesn't sound so bad to me. That may sound defeatist, but I want us to rebuild this thing the right way.

We might not be in this situation if our top 2 centers weren't in me-first mode this year (Backstrom understandably, Kuznetsov back to the snootjuice). So maybe it's a little bit that Ovi's less in "let's win it all mode" and now more in "Okay, if everyone's quitting I may as well prioritize my goal pace."

He's been very generous all year (and more over his career than he gets credit for). If the fix is in on the tank, I wouldn't blame him for shifting gears and just looking to score.

I think people are overreacting a little bit to this hot streak. Not that I’m not loving it. But his shooting percentage was so low earlier in the year. Now pucks that should not go in are.

Nah, that's just the law of averages. There's ALWAYS the bounces and odd shit that break your way or don't, and sometimes those instances line up into "streaks" that aren't real. In the NHL, real "luck" means putting yourself in positions to be lucky. You have to take the shots, crash the net, create chaos, and take those "maybe I can knock it in off that guy's skate" chances that pop up here and there. Do more of that stuff and you'll be "luckier."

"Bah, that guy gets all the bounces!" No, that guy's just doing all the things.

You want bounces? Get bouncy.

giphy.gif

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
*shrug* We need more high draft picks and we're living for 895 in the meantime. So a reality where Ovi starts scoring goals again and we're losing doesn't sound so bad to me. That may sound defeatist, but I want us to rebuild this thing the right way.

We might not be in this situation if our top 2 centers weren't in me-first mode this year (Backstrom understandably, Kuznetsov back to the snootjuice). So maybe it's a little bit that Ovi's less in "let's win it all mode" and now more in "Okay, if everyone's quitting I may as well prioritize my goal pace."

He's been very generous all year (and more over his career than he gets credit for). If the fix is in on the tank, I wouldn't blame him for shifting gears and just looking to score.
Well said. He might hit 30 now.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
So what do we think is his o/u for the year?

With 28 games left @ his career rate of .6, it would be another 16 (32 total). I doubt he hits that though.

I’ll go with a .4 rate, and set it at 27. Though I’d probably still take the under (barely). Prove me wrong, Ovi!

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

With 28 games left @ his career rate of .6, it would be another 16 (32 total). I doubt he hits that though.

I’ll go with a .4 rate, and set it at 27. Though I’d probably still take the under (barely). Prove me wrong, Ovi!
That would be fantastic.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I think if he is close to 30, he makes a big push to reach that mark. His yearly objective to reach Gretzky at the time he signed his current contract was to score 33 goals per season, so I imagine he is targeting that number.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Ovechkin beat the statistical model from 2015:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad