Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 4)

arlcapsfan

Oct 3, 2015
Unfortunately we have the wrong owner for this situation. This is where you need the team to have an honest talk with Ovie after the year.

“We got forced into a rebuild, we aren’t going to be good while you are still here, your not getting to 99.

Let’s build a plan that we both are happy with.”
This…..I know I need to be delicate here but I couldn’t agree more with this.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
If they don't do a rebuild, they will still be as bad as if they did a rebuild.
I'm not saying they shouldn't rebuild. In fact, it seems like I I'm inclined to a more decisive way of rebuilding, considering trading Wilson and so on.

I'm saying the choice between telling Ovechkin "you had a bad season, so say goodbye to your dream, we're going to ice a crappy team to lose on purpose. Don't like it? Here's a link to your retirement forms, enjoy the KHL" and "Alex, it was a tough season. You know you will always have my support following your dream, both as a friend as an owner. But we'll have to make a lot of changes to the team, because the current course is a dead end for the franchise and doesn't support your scoring too. We'll have tougher time making playoffs. Here's what Brian and I think..." is a no-brainer.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
dYdRH-e7us8.jpg

Doesnt look awfully fat imho

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Rooney does though, then again he always kind of did and was still excellent.
I'm impressed you knew who that other guy was lol. I guess you're from Sweden so you watch a lot of football.

All I saw was Ovie, Dubai, some dude

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I'm impressed you knew who that other guy was lol. I guess you're from Sweden so you watch a lot of football.

All I saw was Ovie, Dubai, some dude
Yeah it's a euro thing. Rooney was actually a bit similar to Ovechkin. Looked out of shape, criticized and controversial but is like the second or third best goalscorer ever in the Premier League.

Reactions: PlushMinus

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah it's a euro thing. Rooney was actually a bit similar to Ovechkin. Looked out of shape, criticized and controversial but is like the second or third best goalscorer ever in the Premier League.
I have heard of him but wouldn't know his face in a crowd.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
dYdRH-e7us8.jpg

Doesnt look awfully fat imho
After this trip, he will probably have gained 10 or 15 pounds. For the life of me, I don't understand taking a trip halfway around the world in the middle of the season. I know he's not the only one that does it. He will have 5 months off at the end of the season. You would think all players would stay home and workout somewhat to stay in shape while getting some rest. Remember, these guys make millions.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
After this trip, he will probably have gained 10 or 15 pounds. For the life of me, I don't understand taking a trip halfway around the world in the middle of the season. I know he's not the only one that does it. He will have 5 months off at the end of the season. You would think all players would stay home and workout somewhat to stay in shape while getting some rest. Remember, these guys make millions.
Oh no, how dare you say something negative about him! Don't you know that is absolute sacrilege around here? He has done so much for this team, he deserves whatever kind of vacation he wants, where ever he wants! Ad nauseum, infinitum.

The unspoken truth might just be: he's close to the end of his career, playing on a mediocre team that is unlikely to make the playoffs, let alone has a snowball's chance in hell of winning another Cup, and it simply isn't that important to him to stay in shape and spend the break watching what he eats and working out in the gym?

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Oh no, how dare you say something negative about him! Don't you know that is absolute sacrilege around here? He has done so much for this team, he deserves whatever kind of vacation he wants, where ever he wants! Ad nauseum, infinitum.

The unspoken truth might just be: he's close to the end of his career, playing on a mediocre team that is unlikely to make the playoffs, let alone has a snowball's chance in hell of winning another Cup, and it simply isn't that important to him to stay in shape and spend the break watching what he eats and working out in the gym?

Or maybe it could be viewed as a mental health break from a season where he and the team have struggled. Maybe a little vacation will help his performance... like it does for everyone else in the world.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

Maybe what players do with their time off is not any of our business. Just like what you do with your free time is none of anybody's business.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Maybe what players do with their time off is not any of our business. Just like what you do with your free time is none of anybody's business.
The honest truth: I don't care what the man does in his free time. I just knew that people would leap to his defense if anybody dared to criticize his vacation in Dubai :laugh:

I would love for him to break Gretzky's record, but his struggle to score goals this season has been alarming. If the record is truly that important to him then I expect he is doing / will do what he can to regain his scoring ability. I don't think it's injuries, or conditioning: I think his hands and wrists have deteriorated to the point where he can no longer pick his spots, so all of his shots are just...fire it at the net and hope it goes in. Time will tell.

If he doesn't break the goals record he's still going down in history as one of the all time greats of the game. I do think it will tarnish his reputation and his "legacy" if he has to play another 5 seasons to break the record and it becomes a snail paced chase. I think he is way too competitive and has too much pride to do that - but it's entirely up to him and indeed none of my business what he chooses to do on - or off - the ice.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Where did he go?

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Who says hes not working out? Im not a pro and can always find a gym if i want to work out while I travel.

@PlushMinus And 5 seasons to score 60+ goals "COME ON MAN"

I have no idea but he skips All-Star games to let the body rest and has had great longevity doing so so i would not fault him for doing so again. Rest is a very underrated component of working out. Lack of rest is a reason so many former pro athletes are quasi-disabled.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
And 5 seasons to score 60+ goals "COME ON MAN"
Ok, admittedly 5 seasons is probably ridiculous.

But nobody would have believed that he would only have 9 goals after 44 games this season.

64 to go. Unless something drastically changes he could need this season and two more full seasons to get there. Maybe re-up for a year and play another 20 games to get the record.

It's not going to be pretty. It's going to be very slow and many here have already expressed sadness at the change in his game. How are we all going to feel watching him do this for another 200 odd games??

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
he could go on a mini-heater and finish this year with 30

then the jolt this season's results inspires him in the off-season to get in shape and 35-40 more next year

not far to go in his last year, and can go past 900 for something to do while doing his victory lap

Thats the plan. Book it.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
The honest truth: I don't care what the man does in his free time. I just knew that people would leap to his defense if anybody dared to criticize his vacation in Dubai :laugh:

I would love for him to break Gretzky's record, but his struggle to score goals this season has been alarming. If the record is truly that important to him then I expect he is doing / will do what he can to regain his scoring ability. I don't think it's injuries, or conditioning: I think his hands and wrists have deteriorated to the point where he can no longer pick his spots, so all of his shots are just...fire it at the net and hope it goes in. Time will tell.

If he doesn't break the goals record he's still going down in history as one of the all time greats of the game. I do think it will tarnish his reputation and his "legacy" if he has to play another 5 seasons to break the record and it becomes a snail paced chase. I think he is way too competitive and has too much pride to do that - but it's entirely up to him and indeed none of my business what he chooses to do on - or off - the ice.
I was not leaping to his defense as you put it. It was more like what's it any of your business where someone else vacations. Just sounds like something that passes for a good comment on the main boards. Anyway who cares.

What's more concerning to me is the fact that this team is not very good from top to bottom. There are no driving forces on this team. No superstars. No players who can take over games. No one who can consistently be noticeable and make a difference every game. Everyone shows up from time to time. And there is no light at the end of the tunnel. No quick fix and in sight and this season is looking like another waisted year. While its true that Ovechkin had some bad games this year but overall you can not ignore that there are a lot of things wrong with this team.

Also why for the love of god do we keep talking about the record? Record this and record that and 5 years and 10 years. I know its popular amongst morons to try to somehow use this record against Ovechkin because lets face it the "never going to win a cup" slogan was the best that they ever come up with. Jeez just stop it. Its as if the guy publicly came out and stated that he is only playing for the record. Or management publicly stating that that's their official 5 year plan. Look at the center depth this team has. Its pathetic. If anything, the team has only hurt his chances of catching Gretz by going through this alleged retool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad