Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Are you saying is a better pure goalscorer than Ovechkin? Not a chance.
BTW Hull also played in the no defense era.
Could you imagine the numbers Ovi would have put up in that era. It would have been sick.
Hull also played in the hardest time to score in NHL history dead puck era and was past his prime and consistent 30+ scorer
I'd say he most definitely is because he is the originator of this style and because Ovi isn't a pure goal scorer.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The summer before we won the cup in 2018 I got to do a Papa John’s commercial with Ovie. That damn Papa John’s was so hot me and Ovie we had to go hang out in the freezer when they were setting up the cameras to cool down. Yeah that was fun

he also housed a bunch of Papa John’s Pizza. At least he likes the product

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Brett Hull NHL Totals:
NHL totals12697416501391458
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Alex Ovechkin NHL Totals:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So if Ovi scores no more goals but 50 assists in his next 60 games, they will have identical statlines. Pretty cool:) But obviously i hope he scores 100 goals

Reactions: Hippasus

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hull also played in the hardest time to score in NHL history dead puck era and was past his prime and consistent 30+ scorer
I'd say he most definitely is because he is the originator of this style and because Ovi isn't a pure goal scorer.
Hull played in the era that was hardest to score? Are you kidding? Everyone was a 50 goal scorer in that era. How many players scored 70 plus goals in a season in that era? You had Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Mogilny, Selanne, Kurri and Bernie Nicholls all scoring more than 70 in a season plus several players over 60. Before than era the only player to score more than 70 goals in a season was Phil Esposito. No player has scored over 70 since the 92/93 season. And it has nothing to with the skill of players. The game changed drastically.
The 80s and early 90s was the worst era of hockey. There was no discipline defensively. And goaltending was very weak.
I can't believe you think it was harder to score at that time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The 80s and early 90s was the worst era of hockey. There was no discipline defensively. And goaltending was very weak.

1980s goalie. Modern goalie.

cf205694bf2d20950ff8f07b59ac7183.jpg

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hull played in the era that was hardest to score? Are you kidding? Everyone was a 50 goal scorer in that era. How many players scored 70 plus goals in a season in that era? You had Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Mogilny, Selanne, Kurri and Bernie Nicholls all scoring more than 70 in a season plus several players over 60. Before than era the only player to score more than 70 goals in a season was Phil Esposito. No player has scored over 70 since the 92/93 season. And it has nothing to with the skill of players. The game changed drastically.

I think what he’s suggesting is Hull’s career spanned multiple eras, one being the dead puck era and he was still effective at 38/39….

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
1980s goalie. Modern goalie.

cf205694bf2d20950ff8f07b59ac7183.jpg
Lol I know the size of goalies is one of the biggest differences in goaltending but the stlye has changed drastically and goalies are more technical and athletic now.
In the 80s the tallest goalies were around 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4 and those guys really weren't very agile or athletic. I'm not sure who would have been the first big goalie that was also athletic. I'm going to guess Pekka Rinna.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Lol I know the size of goalies is one of the biggest differences in goaltending but the stlye has changed drastically and goalies are more technical and athletic now.
In the 80s the tallest goalies were around 6 foot 3 or 6 foot 4 and those guys really weren't very agile or athletic. I'm not sure who would have been the first big goalie that was also athletic. I'm going to guess Pekka Rinna.

If you were actually a Caps fan you would know it was Olie Kolzig :sarcasm:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think there are too many variables to really effectively compare OV and Hull. Dead puck era, goalie quality, and even eliminating the 2-line pass all are facts that are difficult to quantify.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
.thst picture totally explains butterfly goaltending

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My recollection of Hull playing was that he had a great shot release/goal scoring winger/had good hockey sense in the offensive zone. I really do not recall him having any other hockey traits that really stood out. Until Bondra broke out on the scene always looked at all the scoring talent in the league back then that the Caps never had.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If you were actually a Caps fan you would know it was Olie Kolzig :sarcasm:
Kolzig was 6 foot 3 when he played. I didn't considering that to be a big goalie even though he was very big at the time . I was thinking more about guys 6 foot 5 or more. Kolzig also wasn't as athletic as today's goalies.
BTW I loved Kolzig. Favourite Caps goalie ever. He was tough too. He wasn't afraid to move guys out of his crease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad