Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Is this Ovie's Final Form?!

- He's on an 82-goal pace for the year (totally sustainable /s)
- Opponents are respecting his shot so he can set up the backdoor slap-pass
- He's making quicker decisions and playing the puck harder on the PP when he's out at the point. Much better than years past when he would just dump it to the corner predictably if his shooting lane was blocked and it would get cleared.
- He is playing arguably the best defense of his career
- He seems to really be embracing fatherhood, and seems quite loose and happy.
- He gave us a hometown deal to finish out his career as the best Capital and the captain of a Stanley Cup winning team
- His passing and vision have improved

TL;DR Can OV really be playing any better?

He is the fkin' man and as mentioned previously, us Caps fans will never see anything better.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You say flaws, I'd say areas that were not his strengths....(nor what he was paid to do).
Not what he is paid for. I hate that attitude. That won't work in today's NHL.
So yes he had many flaws in his game. And yes his ridiculous offensive production makes people forget that.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Back to Ovechkin. I think it's safe to say that he is the best natural goal scorer we have ever seen.
Brett Hull. He was the original guy doing the left faceoff circle one timers thingy and owning every single goalie.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I hope I'm wrong but I think Mantha's injury is going to disrupt Ovi's hotstreak.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Brett Hull. He was the original guy doing the left faceoff circle one timers thingy and owning every single goalie.
Are you saying is a better pure goalscorer than Ovechkin? Not a chance.
BTW Hull also played in the no defense era.
Could you imagine the numbers Ovi would have put up in that era. It would have been sick.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Are you saying is a better pure goalscorer than Ovechkin? Not a chance.
BTW Hull also played in the no defense era.
Could you imagine the numbers Ovi would have put up in that era. It would have been sick.

funny, I often envision the opposite. Imagine Hull not fat and actually in shape because of today’s advances in fitness, nutrition, and medicine. Imagine prime Hull and Gretzky with today’s sticks and advances in training, analysis, etc…

I certainly have Ovechkin as the better goal scorer overall, but there were a few years where I think Fat Hull was right there with peak Ovy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
funny, I often envision the opposite. Imagine Hull not fat and actually in shape because of today’s advances in fitness, nutrition, and medicine. Imagine prime Hull and Gretzky with today’s sticks and advances in training, analysis, etc…

I certainly have Ovechkin as the better goal scorer overall, but there were a few years where I think Fat Hull was right there with peak Ovy.

I think no matter how good Hull was at scoring at his peak, he wasn't the all around dominant player that 2008-09 Ovi was. That version of Ovi was like Hull, except 4" taller and 40 lbs heavier and faster.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Fat Ovie shooting from the circle in 1989 would bomb up three digits with a wooden stick even hangovered ;)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think its logical to expect one of the top line breaks eventually if they play 25 mins a night. That should be solved asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad