Alexander Barkov vs. Auston Matthews

Barkov vs. Matthews

• Total voters

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Yes well I was talking players. If you want to talk just forwards.......he's good but he's still not better than McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, McKinnon, Kucherov, Pastarnak, Crosby, Panarin, Marchand...........in my opinion. And I think in most "legit" hockey analyst's opinions, too.
While I agree Matthews is at worst a top 3 player in the league (McDavid and Mackinnon) and has been the best skater this season by some margin, I completely disagree that Barkov falls behind Kucherov, Pastrnak, Crosby, Panarin or Marchand.

The only forwards that I would take ahead of Barkov are McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Mackinnon. There might be a couple more that would give me pause, but as a complete player, playing centre.......I'm not sure how many would even fall into this category.

The only defenseman I would definitely take ahead of Barkov is Hedman as well.
Fox and Makar would likely fall into that "let me think" category.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
pretty close. barkov is notably better defensively and matthews has a notably better goal scorer.

mistergreat

Feb 28, 2023
While I agree Matthews is at worst a top 3 player in the league (McDavid and Mackinnon) and has been the best skater this season by some margin, I completely disagree that Barkov falls behind Kucherov, Pastrnak, Crosby, Panarin or Marchand.

The only forwards that I would take ahead of Barkov are McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Mackinnon. There might be a couple more that would give me pause, but as a complete player, playing centre.......I'm not sure how many would even fall into this category.

The only defenseman I would definitely take ahead of Barkov is Hedman as well.
Fox and Makar would likely fall into that "let me think" category.
You wouldn't take Kucherov over Matthews lmao. Leaf homers are pretty entertaining that's why I keep coming back I'll give you that.

Nosferatu

Nov 10, 2016
Matthews has not proven to be top G in playoffs but neither has Barkov. I still think that Barkov is a bit more valuable for his team in the playoffs.

Matthews had one of the best regular seasons since Gretzky and Lemieux and constantly he has been better for his team in the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad