Alexander Barkov vs. Auston Matthews

Barkov vs. Matthews

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Which of these two players would you rather add to your team?

Take everything in to account, current use of the players, team needs, salary, age, wardrobe, mustache, language and all.

Reactions: Summer Rose

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Barkov is the better hockey player, however Matthews produces crazy numbers, its very close but I would take Barkov.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
If i wanna win ill take Barkov. If im a canadian team trying to make money im taking Matthews.
You have this backwards. Canadian teams are going to make lots of money off either player, if anything it's teams in non-traditional markets like Florida would covet an American offensive talent like Mattehew's for marketing/money purposes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And will still lose this poll in a landslide for some reason. Funny how that works.
CHARTS!!!!! I've recently been told by Florida fans that the opposition game plans for Lundell over both Barkov and Huberdeau. So I guess Lundell > Matthews too....

For the record I'd take Matthews. I didn't have to think about it very long either.

Reactions: The90

Mar 26, 2010
CHARTS!!!!! I've recently been told by Florida fans that the opposition game plans for Lundell over both Barkov and Huberdeau. So I guess Lundell > Matthews too....

For the record I'd take Matthews. I didn't have to think about it very long either.
I can say that Matthews is way better than McDavid and not even close. We can all play that same game. Lol

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
Barkov is the more complete package while Matthews production is better (depending on sample size but quite close 1.3 points/game compared to 1.2) while also scoring more goals. Tough one.

I have a gut feeling that Barkov can contribute into winning a slight more than Matthews, that's why chose him. But I quess we will see in playoffs how it really is. Thinking it long-term I also believe Barkov's 30+ years will be better than Matthews so he's keeping the window open a longer time

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

I'm sure you thought that about Marner compared to Rantanen.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If i wanna win ill take Barkov. If im a canadian team trying to make money im taking Matthews.

Considering neither of them have ever won even a single playoff round, that's a weird comment. Barkov for example was -8 in 6 games in round 1 last year - you're not going to win much with your #1C having such numbers.

I voted Matthews, but it's close.

Last 4 years:

Matthews 229 games, 154 goals, 270 points, 1.18 ppg
Barkov 232 games, 102 goals, 256 points, 1.10 ppg

Matthews with superior ppg, and obviously clearly more goals.

Also - I still think Matthews may have an extra gear left we haven't seen yet, where he might peak as high as guys like Mack/Drai/Kuch for a couple of seasons. I don't think Barkov does. Even without this though, slight edge to Matthews

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
Considering neither of them have ever won even a single playoff round, that's a weird comment. Barkov for example was -8 in 6 games in round 1 last year - you're not going to win much with your #1C having such numbers.

I think they are both now in position where they can show how much they truly can contribute into winning. Both teams are built well and both have had losing experiences that should have made them tougher.

It's always hard to compare more offensive players to players who have other good qualities (Rocket winners to Selke winners for example).

Agree fully that it's close.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think they are both now in position where they can show how much they truly can contribute into winning. Both teams are built well and both have had losing experiences that should have made them tougher.

It's always hard to compare more offensive players to players who have other good qualities (Rocket winners to Selke winners for example).

Agree fully that it's close.
It’s odd you’re trying to imply there’s some massive gap in defensive play with Matthews and Barkov. Just not a reality. Matthews is also a 2 way beast. If he wants the puck from you, it’s his. Not many players are that strong on the puck. He gets all the praise for his shot, what you don’t talk about is his ability to out muscle opponents and take pucks off sticks.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I don’t get how Barkov has a “defensive” reputation or how he won his selke last year.

The two of them are actually close offensively while Auston Matthews is a better defensive player.

As much as I love Barkov, and have him 5th among Cs in the game, I think he’s a clear step below AM.

EEC5058F-1133-446A-B439-DBB9021BE223.jpeg

970A8AAE-74AC-43A6-9DC1-3A6500F8960F.jpeg

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
It’s odd you’re trying to imply there’s some massive gap in defensive play with Matthews and Barkov.

Not saying Matthews is poor defensively, elite player and also good on defensive play. Still quite confident Barkov is better in that front. I think it's a tough argument to say otherwise. Selke winner + multiple year top5 selke candidate. There's also a reason why Barkov's defensive zone shift start % is approx. double the amount of Matthews (19% compared to 10%).

But I think it's hard to say which ones edge (Matthews offense & goal scoring ability compared to Barkov being better defensively) is contributing more into teams success.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Not saying Matthews is poor defensively, elite player and also good on defensive play. Still quite confident Barkov is better in that front. I think it's a tough argument to say otherwise. Selke winner + multiple year top5 selke candidate. There's also a reason why Barkov's defensive zone shift start % is approx. double the amount of Matthews (19% compared to 10%).

But I think it's hard to say which ones edge (Matthews offense & goal scoring ability compared to Barkov being better defensively) is contributing more into teams success.
This season Matthews has been better in ALL areas.
Threads like this are a great way to see who is actually watching!!

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I don’t get how Barkov has a “defensive” reputation or how he won his selke last year.

The two of them are actually close offensively while Auston Matthews is a better defensive player.

As much as I love Barkov, and have him 5th among Cs in the game, I think he’s a clear step below AM.

View attachment 504327
View attachment 504328
@Zybalto does great work with head to heads. What do you have for us sir?

Reactions: authentic

The90

Feb 27, 2017

The post above you shows a huge gap there in offence. As well as Matthews dominating defensively as well. His zone starts are in large part because the leafs have kampf now to have a true shutdown centre. He has by far the the highest d zone starts on the team at 70-80% if I recall correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad