Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I don't think he ever showed great promise, as Sam and Joe often say, naturally they have to. He'll be at last a good backup for a few years.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
When he was playing consecutive games he was decent but usually by the 5th game he’d shit the bed. He’s a very predictable player. His last 5 starts were all the same. Soft goal early, team plays no D goal, out of position goals. Anyways to my first point. He's at most a 1b starter or belongs in another league. Rangers will be lucky to get a 7th for him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
71 goalies have started 20 games or less this year.

Collectively they have an .897 save percentage on over 15,000 shots and a 3.23 GAA. You can say you don't like Georgiev and that's fine but this is what you get out of a backup. I wouldn't expect things to get better with someone different outside of random variation. Our expectations are just out of touch with reality because of Talbot/Raanta and yes, even Georgiev of a couple years ago.

If you exclude the ones who barely play at all and just take goalies with 10-20 starts that number goes all the way up to....899 and down to 3.14.

People talk about Halak and Greiss. Those guys have been even worse than Geo.

This is why they're cheap and this is why they're backups. These guys aren't good. You don't get a good backup without getting lucky on a guy on an ELC, getting good fortune, or paying for it.

Vally said there have been more goalies start this year than ever before. I wonder how many of those guys are third string goalies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
His crybaby days as a Ranger are numbered, so arguing is moot at this point. Drury knows his team is locked into a 2 or 3 seed and that Igor will start around 18-20 of the remaining games and then all of Round 1. Georgiev will not be qualified and can become another team’s problem.

Statistically the worst NYR backup goalie in two decades.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
His crybaby days as a Ranger are numbered, so arguing is moot at this point. Drury knows his team is locked into a 2 or 3 seed and that Igor will start around 18-20 of the remaining games and then all of Round 1. Georgiev will not be qualified and can become another team’s problem.

Statistically the worst NYR backup goalie in two decades.

Georgiev is basically throwing his career away because he cant/wont improve his game as a backup. Hes probably in the KHL before he gets another multiyear NHL deal at this point.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Bit tired from all the shitposting about him.. Guy's net positive, what else do we want from a backup? He lays an egg from time to time, but can you name more than, say, 2 games we've lost because of him? Or even one.. Doubt it.
Yes it was 2 bad ones the other night, but even then he made a couple of great saves. Other nights he was OK (or better) or the loss wasn't down to him.
Nonsense. Cut the crap please its tiring. The team (GM and HC) won't listen to you anyway (thankfully :))

PS EdJoVo gets a special permit to continue bashing him
PPS don't even start about Kink.. besides we need the emoji-explosions, Let the man do his work)) (even if Twitter is blocked by poo-tin((( )

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bit tired from all the shitposting about him.. Guy's net positive, what else do we want from a backup? He lays an egg from time to time, but can you name more than, say, 2 games we've lost because of him? Or even one.. Doubt it.
Yes it was 2 bad ones the other night, but even then he made a couple of great saves. Other nights he was OK (or better) or the loss wasn't down to him.
Nonsense. Cut the crap please its tiring. The team (GM and HC) won't listen to you anyway (thankfully :))

PS EdJoVo gets a special permit to continue bashing him
PPS don't even start about Kink.. besides we need the emoji-explosions, Let the man do his work)) (even if Twitter is blocked by poo-tin((( )

There's no way in hell he's a net positive. He's the worst player on the team and the worst Rangers goalie I can remember.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's frustrating because we know he has talent. It has to be mental. I know we see some terrible mechanics/technique like we did last night, but we also see some really good stuff. I think he's just a nut job, who really needs to go somewhere else and start fresh.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I don't give a flying f what his numbers are for a backup, I prefer to watch games. Did he lose us a significant amount of games? That's what I meant with net positive.

Anyway he has that trade value to pump up, thankfully the other teams' GMs likely don't read HFNYR either))

Also if the theory of him suffering from being in the cold/rusty is correct and he's going to have a lot more Good Geo games than Bad Geo ones when played as a starter, then he's an upgrade on quite some goalies in the league which means good trade is possible.

Bashing him gets us nothing.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I think he's just a nut job
Hockey players have personalities and more so the goalies. Kinda like that.

Anyway we should think more of who will be our next backup rather than keep slapping him in various threads. Because currently the situ with backups is uncertain to put it mildly (correct me if I'm wrong).

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
At this point he just needs to give us a chance to win in his final 5 starts or whatever he gets from here on out then go our separate ways in the summer. If he can play like he did against Buffalo and Anaheim we should have a chance to win and that's all we should be asking for at this point.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't give a flying f what his numbers are for a backup, I prefer to watch games. Did he lose us a significant amount of games? That's what I meant with net positive.

Anyway he has that trade value to pump up, thankfully the other teams' GMs likely don't read HFNYR either))

Also if the theory of him suffering from being in the cold/rusty is correct and he's going to have a lot more Good Geo games than Bad Geo ones when played as a starter, then he's an upgrade on quite some goalies in the league which means good trade is possible.

We won some games in spite of his goaltending so that wouldn't even count in your analysis. Expecting the Rangers to score 5 every game with him starting is unrealistic.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
At this point he just needs to give us a chance to win in his final 5 starts or whatever he gets from here on out then go our separate ways in the summer. If he can play like he did against Buffalo and Anaheim we should have a chance to win and that's all we should be asking for at this point.

He was terrible against Buffalo almost lost us the game.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

I'm one of the easier on Geo, some nice saves, but a few highlight reel saves are EASILY negated by the quality of sofites he's been given up.

I'm not on board with being a dick about and tagging him on twitter with highlights of the shit goals, these are still ppl and he's struggling, but there's no way you can convince anyone he's even passable as an NHL backup right now. The team has turned the corner in all 3 zones which is the only reason Geo has won his crappy outings since the TDL.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

This is a horrible take. There have been a number of games, including last night, where the team bailed him out of a terrible performance. He makes the team in front of him have to work harder to get wins. That's not a net positive no matter how you want to spin it. Are you his new agent or his mother?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was I like this with Girardi?

If so, I'm sorry.

Granted, we don't have the majority of the fanbase thinking Georgiev is one of the premier goalies in the league, which I imagine would be very frustrating.

Still, I'm sorry.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He just needs to play regularly, its not likely to happen here but guys like him and igor need the net to stay sharp. I get a kick out of how easy it is to forgive Igor if he hasn't played in a few days and impossible to forgive Georgiev when he hasnt played in a week. My only beef is that Georgiev has basically let it known he isn't happy being a back up here and maybe this is another case of this tean promising something that wasn't likely to happen and kicking the can down the road. I think we'll see a split of games going down this stretch so it will be interesting to see how he does.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm quick to criticize Georgiev when he sucks, which is often, but he played well tonight. Trouba with the Girardi special turnover leading to the only goal was not his fault.

They dont have to just yet, but id like to see them get Igor into a rhythm before the playoffs start

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00