Alex Semin

Status
Not open for further replies.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Wow...just wow.

Pacioretty is extremely skilled. Then to name Bealieu as one of our most skilled payers is insane. If you wanted an example of a player with speed but limited skill Beaulieu is your man.....not Pacioretty.

Fleischman is also very skilled as is Desharnais.

Pacioretty is skilled as hell if you need a reminder look at the backhand no look cross ice pass to Petry on the disallowed goal in the Toronto game. My jaw was on the floor.

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
Unfortunately, Semin is an anachronism in today's game. One only has to have watched the Oilers/Blues game to see the speed and flow of the current NHL game. If you don't players who can push the pace of the play, you will not be able to compete. Semin is a static, uni-dimensional player who hopefully has the play making and finishing ability to help on the power play. But his lack of mobility (on a team that is not particularly fast) undermines any value he can provide in this regard. I fear we have only acquired a slower P.A. Parenteau.

Can't imagine being so wrong using so few words.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Can't imagine being so wrong using so few words.

I'm hoping Semin has a good year.....but just like one bad game doesn't tell you he's a bum....one good game doesn't tell you he's not going to be a bum. I've got my fingers crossed

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Wow...just wow.

Pacioretty is extremely skilled. Then to name Bealieu as one of our most skilled payers is insane. If you wanted an example of a player with speed but limited skill Beaulieu is your man.....not Pacioretty.

Fleischman is also very skilled as is Desharnais.

Completely disagree. Beau looked unbelievable last year with Gonchar before being sent to the dog house by MT. Really our best prospect after Chucky. Guy is getting less ice time than 70% of the forwards. MT is causing this kid to self doubt for no reason. Please cut down on Markov and PK by say 2 minutes and bring the third pairing to maybe 15 minutes. mmmk

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's Fun to watch his line play. I haven't been able to say that since Vanek/DD/Patch v1.
Eller smiling, Chucky laughing, and Semin... well we are working on that. LOL
My greatest concern is MT will dismantle this line in an attempt to spark another.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
He looked amazing last night. He singlehandedly created both of Eller's goals last night with the no look pass and his jumping catch when the Bruins tried to clear the zone. He's so skilled and has great vision to go along with it.

He obviously has the faults that were to be expected, he looks slow and won't exactly go the distance to make a defensive play, but I'm fine with that because he's so good offensively. I hope he can keep it up. I think he will, Chucky will make sure of that.

pl4tinum

Feb 21, 2012
I agree. We've been missing a player with Semin's abilities for a long time. He does the little things that make goals happen. I dont care how fast he is, he can stick handle in a phone booth and get the puck right on a teammate's stick quickly. He is decisive and knows what to do, and does the right thing. I hope they dont split this line up, because if it's already clicking like this it will only get better with time. I dont understand anyone bashing him right now because to me he looks very good.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree. We've been missing a player with Semin's abilities for a long time. He does the little things that make goals happen. I dont care how fast he is, he can stick handle in a phone booth and get the puck right on a teammate's stick quickly. He is decisive and knows what to do, and does the right thing. I hope they dont split this line up, because if it's already clicking like this it will only get better with time. I dont understand anyone bashing him right now because to me he looks very good.

Yes, Semin had a much better game last night. But before we anoint him as an offensive savior, let's remember the level of competition that he was facing in the first two games: Toronto and Boston, lower echelon teams who have yet to have won a game this year. Let's see how he and his teammates fare when facing elite teams.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I feel like Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin can put together a year like AKost-Plekanec-Kovalev had back in '08.

Add Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher, our elite D and the best goalie in the game and we're a dangerous team.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I haven't seen the 2 montreal games but semin was never slow. He always looks bit like going half the effort because he's on the spot the wants, gotta get him puck on rush to see the speed. i really doubt he'd lost all his speed in a year. but i'll see some of the game today.

Pr3Va1L

Jul 2, 2008
Such an underrated passer !

The two Eller goals wouldn't have been close to possible if not for Semin's playmaking.

Slick, slick player.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Such an underrated passer !

The two Eller goals wouldn't have been close to possible if not for Semin's playmaking.

Slick, slick player.

Semin is a pass-first player. He is an underrated playmaker in the sense that most people think he's a shoot-first type of player.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Semin is a pass-first player. He is an underrated playmaker in the sense that most people think he's a shoot-first type of player.

Probably because he had the best wrist shot in the entire league for a good few years.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Probably because he had the best wrist shot in the entire league for a good few years.

Semin in his prime had a ton of weapons in his offensive arsenal. His shot, his playmaking skills and his dekes allowed him to rack up points in many ways. More often than not, he would end up with more assists than goals at the end of the season.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I feel like Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin can put together a year like AKost-Plekanec-Kovalev had back in '08.

Add Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher, our elite D and the best goalie in the game and we're a dangerous team.

And I don't think we're yet icing our best bottom six. I think at least two of Hudon, Ghetto, Byron, and Kassian will come in to bolster the offensive abilities of our 3rd and 4th lines.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
Semin in his prime had a ton of weapons in his offensive arsenal. His shot, his playmaking skills and his dekes allowed him to rack up points in many ways. More often than not, he would end up with more assists than goals at the end of the season.

He seems to have no confidence in his shot... Always looking to pass it.
When he finally shoots, the shooting lanes close and it winds up blocked or it misses the net. He's gotta get that shot off faster.

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
At first he was a turnover machine but he's getting better. The effort is there. Hope he continue to improve.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He seems to have no confidence in his shot... Always looking to pass it.
When he finally shoots, the shooting lanes close and it winds up blocked or it misses the net. He's gotta get that shot off faster.

Releasing his shot quickly has never been Semin's forte. He uses a long wrist shot with a big windup. He should use the quick snapper more often, he's had a lot of success with it in the past.

Good game by Semin tonight. Not awful like the opening game vs Toronto, not great like yesterday's game. He had a few golden chances that he should've buried. Good puck movement on the PP, his line with Chucky and Eller is good at cycling the puck and getting to the high scoring areas.

In any case, the team is winning, let's just hope they keep going.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
he needs to shoot more, sometimes gets to fancy but ive been happy with his play so far

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Adjusted nicely after his first game.

He definitely isn't the player that he once was, but his skill and vision are still there, and he's putting in the necessary work on both ends. He might struggle to get goals but he's a good compliment to Galchenyuk and Eller.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Adjusted nicely after his first game.

He definitely isn't the player that he once was, but his skill and vision are still there, and he's putting in the necessary work on both ends. He might struggle to get goals but he's a good compliment to Galchenyuk and Eller.

His hands are unreal, and at this point are his best weapon. You can see defenders are very leery on engaging him because he generally makes them regret it, it's exactly the type of skill injection we needed to give Galchenyuk more respect from defenders too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad