Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Would put Leafs back in spotlight and give hope again to fan base ... but it will not fully solve our defense alone ... better off with 2 vet defenders as injuries occur ... but if Dubie does it then I am all aboard ... no worries losing AJ for a prospect and pick ... Kerfoot I am ok losing but we need back a bigger cheaper 3rd line centre and not sure it is that easy to do

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
my last take on AP before the fun begins:

This is a dopamine hit for the quarantine depression kind of move.

Logically we should not do it.

I'm fine either way. Won't mind some drama and the excitement.

However, I was building some solid bottom 6'es for fun yesterday and none of them are possible if we sign AP.

I went nerd mode and looked at some fancy schmancy stats and a guy like shea theodore isn't that far behind AP right now. 8-9 mil for this 31 year old isn't that good of an idea.

Just remember Matthews is the only forward in the universe who will have 50 goals and 70+ blocks the next time we have a full 82 game season. If the forwards are well balanced with skill, effort , 2-way play and grit, we don't need AP since we already have a no.1 (when healthy) in Rielly and a solid start to the second pair with Muzzin. Even a Marc Methot type for Rielly gives us a huge boost.

Something like...

Rielly/Methot type
Muzzin-Weegar
Sandin-Holl

...Is a really good back end no? Then you add in the maroon, simmonds , larsson etc ufas.

Ah well. Let's see what happens.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Pietrangelois is the captain and anchor of that team. It would be foolish to let him go. I've long suspected that he was using free agency as leverage for a better contract offer from the Blues. I hope I'm wrong.

That said, I don't think Dubas wants to break up the core of the forwards. He even promised that Nylander would not be traded when he signed him. Who's next to clear up (THAT MUCH) cap space if Pietrangelo is available? That would be Marner, and I highly doubt the Leafs incompetent GM would consider that radical move. Remember, his philosophy is high skill offense over defense.

If I was to guess, Dubas is more likely to go after TJ Brodie, who incidentally, did not have a good season for the Flames. That would be a classic Leafs move to go after a former star on the rapid decline.

I thought the same of A.Ps motivations also, but, with all the moves the Blues made earlier in the season and the silence for so many months, I'm not so sure.

The major problem is, he burned a guaranteed extra year to test free agency, they can only offer him 7 years now instead of 8. Seems counter productive unless they are going to offer him a million more per year and meet his demands for a signing bonus and NMC. The rumours are they offered him between 8 and 8.25 for 8 years. That's a serious number for a guy who apparently wants to stay.

I have to think if other teams are serious about signing him, AP will seriously consider them a place to call home. Free Agency is a once in a lifetime situation for these players. He is going to make his biggest contract sometime this week. Teams can really sell themselves, through the contract and their sales pitch.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Five minutes before the floodgates open and I’m less optimistic about him coming here. VGK is moving heaven and earth to clear cap and is always listed as a front runner team. Meanwhile we’re sitting here with not a single move since Kapanen and being linked to defensemen ranged from shit tier to #4s at best.

If you truly believe that all the Leafs need is a #4, a #6, and some gritty enforcer asshole you’ll be happy I’m sure, but don’t come crying when once again this team gets booted out of round 1 because quelle surprise, the main reason we lost isn’t because the team didn’t have enough face punchers on the fourth line or bottom pair.

A clear lack of talent at RHD is a clear weakness and needs an upgrade. One mediocre defenseman to pair with Rielly is going to barely move the needle. But it seems like Dubas is too scared to go out and make the big signing after Tavares and all the heat he takes because of the cap situation.

Maybe I’ll eat crow and this silence was in our favour. Just have to see.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
League is moving like molasses right now.

Trade market seems non-existent. Everything at a bit of a stand-still.

Can't see the Leafs getting Pietrangelo, purely because it doesn't appear as though they can move out the money they want to move (Johnsson / Kerfoot, etc)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would love for this to happen, but it's going to have serious ripple effects on our roster down the road unless Marner or Nylander are moved.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Can't see the Leafs getting Pietrangelo, purely because it doesn't appear as though they can move out the money they want to move (Johnsson / Kerfoot, etc)

Stastny was moved for a fifth, they can move Johnsson and Kerfoot if they really want to. Or they can buy them out ALA tampa bay with Johnson

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

It a hard to make trades when all the good UFAs are still available.

Reactions: Tak7

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'd hate for Toronto to commit so much money to AP.

In a couple of years they'd be regretting it, big time.
It fills the one gapping hole on this roster. If they win a cup who cares about down the road?

People really underestimate the difference between adding an elite defensemen (especially for free) over simply adding a guy that can survive in your top 4.

It's understandable because we've never really had a defensemen that was a top 5 player at the position, but the impact would be tremendous.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
The Leafs have had an issue with their defense for the past 10 years if not more. Dubad has to do whatever it takes to get AP signed. If it means moving one Marner or Nylander you do it. He can use the extra 10% overage on the cap, and adjust to get back under the cap before the season starts. He can't pass up on a stud like AP. I believe its going to come down to term that will be the issue. He has to do it to have a shot at the cup!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I absolutely think they should move the earth & sun to bring him in. It's an easy call.

He instantly checks all the boxes for what this team needs on the blue line. If they can bring in another (much, much) cheaper, bottom-pairing RD on a multi-year deal just like that their defence issues are addressed for years.

After that, sure, Kyle will have to move a contract or two to clear cap space, but if Johnsson goes, Robertson takes his spot on an ELC. That's one. He gets creative after that depending on AP's actual cap hit.

Unfortunately, I think the limitations Dubas relayed to Meehan will likely mean AP passes for either Vegas or another team that steps up with the cap space.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Wouldn't it be something if a guy like AP said to his agent do what you can to get me on "X" team. Meaning even taking way less. Sadly, I think the NHLPA would never let that happen.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Maple Leafs in talks with Pietrangelo
20 minutes ago

"General manager Kyle Dubas confirmed Friday that he has spoken with Alex Pietrangelo's agent, Don Meehan, as the Toronto Maple Leafs explore the possibility of adding the most coveted UFA of the class.
""We have flexibility. It's just a matter of how big a splash we want to make," said Dubas, who signed Wayne Simmonds earlier in the day.
Paying for such an expensive defenceman long-term could be cap-restrictive for the Maple Leafs down the road, especially with the salary cap remaining flat for an undetermined number of years.
"We have to be mindful of that as we navigate these waters," Dubas warned.
Dubas made his pitch to Meehan but has not spoken yet with Pietrangelo directly. Dubas want details of those talks to remain private.
No team currently spends more of its budget on forwards, so bringing in such a big fish would necessitate another move.
Dubas is hoping to help sell potential free agents on the chance to win with a talented offensive group.
The Maple Leafs are still looking to upgrade the right side of their defence and add sandpaper to their bottom six, and Dubas believes options for that still exist in free agency and trade.
“We’re trying to remain as patient and as flexible as possible,” Dubas said.
The Vegas Golden Knights are also among those gunning for Pietrangelo, and the St. Louis Blues cannot be ruled out either."
-Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) October 9, 2020

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA