Alex Nylander wants to know if your hamlet is flammable

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes. We also had 2 guys on our team that we thought we expendable named Karlsson and Marchessault... they led their team to a Stanley Cup. We actually paid VGK to take Wild Bill. Maybe this is karma repaying us?
Marchessault started with my NYR minor league team. He looked like a player all the way back then but he is a great example of a guy who took a while to establish himself firmly in the NHL. He earned his success for sure.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I always thought he had ability to still be able to play because he even scored and succeeded in some 4th line rolls playing with Ryan Carpenter types. He always wanted to be a guy who owns the puck, so I wonder what kinda linemates he's succeeding witj.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Sometimes it's also just a matter of opportunity.

I've always contended that there's a ton of career 3rd liners who could be 30+ goal scorers if they were simply handed "superstar minutes" i.e top line minutes with the best line mates + top PP time.

Of course if there's another player on the team who deserves that spot more, you never get it and it becomes an unbreakable, self-perpetuating cycle. You don't produce without those minutes and then never earn those minutes.

Give a guy an opportunity whether via injuries or poor depth and you see these late career breakouts like Miller, Verhaeghe, Marchessault, Reinhart, etc. You look at what a guy like Hyman is doing with the best winger job in the sport, riding shotgun with McDavid.

You don't get drafted 8th overall without having a ton of skill. You get the opportunity to ride shotgun with Johnny Hockey on the top line and voila, you can produce.

Reactions: Slimmy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I've always contended that there's a ton of career 3rd liners who could be 30+ goal scorers if they were simply handed "superstar minutes" i.e top line minutes with the best line mates + top PP time.

Of course if there's another player on the team who deserves that spot more, you never get it and it becomes an unbreakable, self-perpetuating cycle. You don't produce without those minutes and then never earn those minutes.

Give a guy an opportunity whether via injuries or poor depth and you see these late career breakouts like Miller, Verhaeghe, Marchessault, Reinhart, etc. You look at what a guy like Hyman is doing with the best winger job in the sport, riding shotgun with McDavid.

You don't get drafted 8th overall without having a ton of skill. You get the opportunity to ride shotgun with Johnny Hockey on the top line and voila, you can produce.
That's the thing, tho. The first six goals were scored with Texier and Sillinger, not Johnny Hockey. He earned his way up to the top line.

Also, I would have sworn Bemstrom is such a guy, but the Pens have, if anything, given him fewer minutes than the Jackets did.

Reactions: CBJx614 and KapG

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Good for him.

Still pissed the Leafs didn’t give up a 4th or something a few years ago and take a flyer on him.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

To be fair to nylander most of the work he has put in so far has been on the 3rd line I want to say with sillinger.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
That's the thing, tho. The first six goals were scored with Texier and Sillinger, not Johnny Hockey. He earned his way up to the top line.

Also, I would have sworn Bemstrom is such a guy, but the Pens have, if anything, given him fewer minutes than the Jackets did.

Got to make sure Jeff Carter gets his PP minutes.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Got to make sure Jeff Carter gets his PP minutes.
I have to admit, as a Jackets fan, watching the Penguins fall all over themselves to give The Former #7 minutes he doesn't deserve warms my vindictive hate-filled heart. on multiple levels. :) But it sucks for Bemstrom. :(

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam

Yeah, shows what I know.

I checked the game logs looking to see an obvious spike in ice-time since getting to CLB.

He had nearly 20 minutes in his 3rd game and had 1+1 but then his minutes dropped back down into the 15/16 range which is exactly what he was getting in Pitts.

I guess he's just feelin' it right now.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Probably because Dubas is the GM who thew him away, not sure who else you would blame for getting rid of Nylander ?

Nylander hadn't worked out so he turned him into Bemstrom, a similar level player who might work out. Why is that a bad trade?

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Probably because Dubas is the GM who thew him away, not sure who else you would blame for getting rid of Nylander ?
You will not find anyone more happy for Nylander than me. Tremendous trade for CBJ and hope Nylander goes PPG until he retires.

That said, he didn't do himself any favors in Pittsburgh. He got plenty of top 6 time, primarily with Malkin but it just didn't work out.

Dubas was 100% correct to "get rid of him". It wasn't going to happen for Nylander in Pittsburgh, just like it didn't in Chicago.

Nylander suddenly doing well in his new environment, which plenty of players do, is not on Dubas.

You Toronto fans are absolutely insufferable. You Dubas-Derangement Syndrome is nearing localized pandemic levels.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Blackhawks acquired him and immediately played him with Kane. Don’t tell me he didn’t get a fair shake. He’s on a heater right now, good for him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Never got a fair chance anywhere Imo. Nice to see him cashing in on what could have been his last chance
Tbh, one of the few prospect/AHL guys the last 3 years that actually did get a fair shake under Sullivan. He didn’t do anything with it.

Still an indictment on the staff that everyone has cratered under them.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Always knew there was something there but I’m amazed to see it showing up now.

Also, today I learned what a hamlet is.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Crow, than our dreamt of in our philosophy.

Like Alex Nylander suddenly being good. Weird.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
He was given fair chances in Bufalo and Chicago. He just never showed ability consistently
19 games in 3 years in Buffalo. Chicago he had a 26points in 65 games and then I think got hurt and never got another chance really. In pitt he played 14 games in 2 years. outside of the one yewr in Chicago where he was ok he did not get many long looks

He was given fair chances in Bufalo and Chicago. He just never showed ability consistently
19 games over 3 years is a fair chance in Buffalo? He had a good year in Chicago and then they promptly forgot about him

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
19 games in 3 years in Buffalo. Chicago he had a 26points in 65 games and then I think got hurt and never got another chance really. In pitt he played 14 games in 2 years. outside of the one yewr in Chicago where he was ok he did not get many long looks

19 games over 3 years is a fair chance in Buffalo? He had a good year in Chicago and then they promptly forgot about him
He had three development years in Buffalo and was outplayed by Victor Olofsson and Rasmus Asplund, making him expendable.

Alex lacked two way game and intensity in buffalos system. He had cups of coffee in the NHL, but let’s not ignore the large time he had in the Sabres system and the little impact he made

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
He had three development years in Buffalo and was outplayed by Victor Olofsson and Rasmus Asplund, making him expendable.

Alex lacked two way game and intensity in buffalos system. He had cups of coffee in the NHL, but let’s not ignore the large time he had in the Sabres system and the little impact he made
Is this Rasmus Asplund some sort of dynamo going to break out one day? I've never heard of him and I sometimes watch Buffalo games.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I hope he manages to carve out a good NHL career for himself, but I'll reserve judgement until next season for any player without a solid track record who perform well at the end of the season in meaningless games. Feels like the majority of the time these cases end in a disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad