Alex Nylander wants to know if your hamlet is flammable

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I hope he manages to carve out a good NHL career for himself, but I'll reserve judgement until next season for any player without a solid track record who perform well at the end of the season in meaningless games. Feels like the majority of the time these cases end in a disappointment.
It's commonplace enough with the Jackets that you may notice just about every sum-up post by a Jackets fan includes some sort of "nice while it lasts" or "hope this continues" or similar disclaimer. Fingers crossed but none of us are holding our breath or anything.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Who would have thought that Dubas would come to regret trading Nylander?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's commonplace enough with the Jackets that you may notice just about every sum-up post by a Jackets fan includes some sort of "nice while it lasts" or "hope this continues" or similar disclaimer. Fingers crossed but none of us are holding our breath or anything.
Sample size, practically eliminated from the playoffs, and it's a contract year.

Here's hoping that he has figured things out, but I would reserve judgment until this time next season.

Reactions: CBJx614

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Great story for the Blue Jackets and Alex. I will be curious to see how he does over a larger sample size. I'm hoping he can continue to make his mark in the big league.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Nylander hadn't worked out so he turned him into Bemstrom, a similar level player who might work out. Why is that a bad trade?
Who your coach proceeds to give like 9-11 min of ice time.

I hope he manages to carve out a good NHL career for himself, but I'll reserve judgement until next season for any player without a solid track record who perform well at the end of the season in meaningless games. Feels like the majority of the time these cases end in a disappointment.
How is it meaningless to him when he’s out there playing for his nhl career? He’s not exactly on the young side of 20 anymore. After this spell with Columbus, if it didn’t work out, you think he was going to get another look somewhere? Idk about that

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Yeah, why didn't Dubas just use GM Magic to make Nylander shoot at a totally-not-entirely-unsustainable 19.5%?
Before his 2 goal game which put him above 20% he was at 17%. So unsustainable omg!!!

the kid has been putting up like 4 sog per game since coming to Columbus and from what I remember reading has had excellent advanced stats. All of that is sustainable even if the shooting percentage drops down closer to 10.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is this Rasmus Asplund some sort of dynamo going to break out one day? I've never heard of him and I sometimes watch Buffalo games.
Rasmus Asplund already broke out, had a season as a top 20 defensive forward in the league (in 2020-2021 Selke voting, at least), then faded away just as fast. The brightest stars among us sometimes burn too brightly and fade away too quickly.

But Alex Nylander had legitimate opportunities in Buffalo. Sadly, his effort dial was stuck at around 10% - I watched him live in the AHL in Rochester too many times, and he was unbelievably lazy. He has plenty of skill. I have no doubt that he can still have a career in the NHL if he could ever stay motivated.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Rasmus Asplund already broke out, had a season as a top 20 defensive forward in the league (in 2020-2021 Selke voting, at least), then faded away just as fast. The brightest stars among us sometimes burn too brightly and fade away too quickly.

But Alex Nylander had legitimate opportunities in Buffalo. Sadly, his effort dial was stuck at around 10% - I watched him live in the AHL in Rochester too many times, and he was unbelievably lazy. He has plenty of skill. I have no doubt that he can still have a career in the NHL if he could ever stay motivated to try.
He has that creep into his game still for short bursts but significantly better. Finally looks like a guy that wants an NHL paycheque and no longer ride the bus. We'll see if it carries over to next year or not

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Before his 2 goal game which put him above 20% he was at 17%. So unsustainable omg!!!
Yes?
17% is also an unsustainable shooting percentage.
That's not even that bad. Even at 10% shooting percentage, his CBJ numbers are at a 25-goal pace.
It's also unlikely that his shot counts are sustainable. He's taken 41 of his 178 career shots with CBJ. He's played 12 of his career 110 games with CBJ so far.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Who your coach proceeds to give like 9-11 min of ice time.

How is it meaningless to him when he’s out there playing for his nhl career? He’s not exactly on the young side of 20 anymore. After this spell with Columbus, if it didn’t work out, you think he was going to get another look somewhere? Idk about that
Obviously not meaningless to him. Meaningless games refers to the team being outside of the playoff picture.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
What are CBJ fans impression of him so far? Is he similar to Mathews in that he knows where to be, that he can sniff out goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad