Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY
No, it's a ****ing terrible idea most of the time.

I hope you don't think I'm slighting your opinion when I ask this, because I honestly don't know the answer. But are there any recent examples of 18 year olds going to the AHL and it turning out to be a ****ing terrible idea?

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY
Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just went through the complete list of 18 year olds to play in the AHL.

The Good:
David Pasternak
William Nylander
Kevin Fiala
Zemgus Girgensons
Hampus Lindholm
Vinny Prospal

The Bad
Nikita Filatov

So please explain why its a bad idea? Im curious.

EDIT: here's the list http://www.quanthockey.com/ahl/en/player-age/18-year-old-ahl-players.html

Girgensons had several concussions and there are questions about his offensive development. As for the rest of the "made it" list, not one of them made it through 40-games played as a rookie. Lindholm is the poster boy for it, but there are plenty of others in that very list who flamed right out.

Dome (1st rounder) was much anticipated and flopped terribly. Victor Uchevatov failed terribly (2nd rounder), Yan Golubovsky (first rounder) struggled to make the jump and didn't develop as expected. Michal Grosek never put it together despite his toolset. Evgeny Lazarev (3rd rounder) wasn't much at the AHL level and didn't turn out. Bergfors was an okay NHLer.

kingofQueens

Jun 8, 2016
Queens, NY
Girgensons had several concussions and there are questions about his offensive development. As for the rest of the "made it" list, not one of them made it through 40-games played as a rookie. Lindholm is the poster boy for it, but there are plenty of others in that very list who flamed right out.

Dome (1st rounder) was much anticipated and flopped terribly. Victor Uchevatov failed terribly (2nd rounder), Yan Golubovsky (first rounder) struggled to make the jump and didn't develop as expected. Michal Grosek never put it together despite his toolset. Evgeny Lazarev (3rd rounder) wasn't much at the AHL level and didn't turn out. Bergfors was an okay NHLer.

Uchecatov was the last pick of the second round. Lazarev as you mentioned was a third rounder. I wouldn't advocate putting players that weren't good enough to be a first round pick in the AHL at 18. Dome was a 1st rounder yes but he was rushed to the NHL so I would argue that playing 30 games in the NHL at 18 hurt him more than playing 36 game in the AHL at 18. Golubovsky it didn't work out, fine. He was drafted 22 years ago so that's not the best example as to why Nylander shouldn't be in the AHL. Grosek never put it together "with his skill set?!" You mean his skill set that got him drafted 145th overall in the 6th round?! :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad