Rumor: Alex Goligoski

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Ok degree of wanting is a fair issue. Let’s say you would trade a 3/4 for him. Why?

I’m not even sure that gets it done, but you have to start somewhere. The point should be the same.
My thinking, and it could be off, he's been alright playing #1 minutes with Arizona teams that aren't very good and is solid on the PK.

If he were to come here, I imagine he wouldn't be playing as many minutes and wouldn't be facing the same QoC, so should perform better right? Maybe I am off.

Basically from what I have gathered he's a pretty steady and versatile player. IF (big if I know) he could bump Hagg off the roster then a 3rd/4th is worth it unless we continue to fade down the stretch, in which case I'd just stand pat.

upload_2021-3-12_20-11-58.png

upload_2021-3-12_20-25-59.png

upload_2021-3-12_20-17-12.png

upload_2021-3-12_20-21-46.png

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My thinking, and it could be off, he's been alright playing #1 minutes with Arizona teams that aren't very good and is solid on the PK.

If he were to come here, I imagine he wouldn't be playing as many minutes and wouldn't be facing the same QoC, so should perform better right? Maybe I am off.

Basically from what I have gathered he's a pretty steady and versatile player. IF (big if I know) he could bump Hagg off the roster then a 3rd/4th is worth it unless we continue to fade down the stretch, in which case I'd just stand pat.

View attachment 406793

View attachment 406799

View attachment 406797

View attachment 406798

He's not a big enough difference maker to move the needle right now which makes the trade a waste of assets. If we could get him for Hagg that'd be cool. Otherwise id keep the 3rd/4th.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We have two undersized LHDs who are offense first and can play RHD.
So let's pick up another one.

Reactions: dats81

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
He's not a big enough difference maker to move the needle right now which makes the trade a waste of assets. If we could get him for Hagg that'd be cool. Otherwise id keep the 3rd/4th.
Yeah, I probably agree as I'm not very confident this team is a contender but I wouldn't be mad if they did it.

But per CapFriendly we would have to shed some salary even with Gologoski at 50% retained. Maybe there's some waiver magic we could do to make it work (not sure haven't looked into it) but if Hagg was going the other way even more incentive to pay up. I'd gladly move a 3/4 if it means Hagg never plays another game for the Flyers. Obviously the management and coaches (and prior mgmt and coaches) value Hagg for some unknown reasons so it's not likely.

upload_2021-3-12_20-38-48.png

Edit: Nvm, we'd only be -$188,959 without shedding salary. So I imagine it isn't really an issue.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

View attachment 406793

View attachment 406799

View attachment 406797

View attachment 406798

Thank you for the answer. I was genuinely curious. The goal wasn’t to play gotcha or anything. If your threshold is upgrading Hagg, then yep he can probably do that.

Yes, his QoC should get easier here. In general, that’s not going to be enough to move his possession metrics all that much. If you want to shelter him and give him significantly easier QoT, that would help more.

The tricky part of the evaluation with Goligoski is that a source like JFresh takes a 3 year average, which is reasonable. But it just so happens that 2018-19 was his only good year in the last 6. Was that representative of true talent? I absolutely don’t know, but my default would be to the 5 years versus the 6 simply because of sample size. I sure as hell wasn’t watching Arizona to have anything to add to the conversation.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I’m a Coyotes fan. He’s been well-worth his contract and has helped Chychrun get where he is. You guys are underselling him a little. He blocks a ton of shots, and can skate and pass very well. He’s a smart, solid player.

He’s incredibly weak and soft, though. So he struggles mightily to defend an established forecheck. He needs to be paired with a cycle buster. If you’ve got a guy who’s strong down low but struggles to move the puck, you’ve got the ideal partner for Goligoski. When paired with a guy like that, Goligoski will ensure the whole pair is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s kinda wizardry.

He’s been a good player for us. And a rare big UFA signing that’s actually worked out well. But I don’t want him re-signed and it’s time to move on. I’d take a 3rd rounder for him and be pretty happy with that.
You just walked into a swarm of negativity and drama so don't sweat it. I wouldn't get excited about Goligoski but yes he is being undersold and could help. I would much rather trade a 3 for him than cough up a 1 and 2 for Ekholm and then also have to protect him and potentially lose someone else in the expansion draft. The fact of the matter is if they have any plans of doing anything in the playoffs they need to add a defenseman. As myself and a couple of others have said time and time again, you can't just assume a team full of D in their early to mid 20's is going to be ready to carry a team and you see the difference with Niskanen no longer here.

Reactions: tucson83

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Agreed, god forbid Fletcher gives up something as valuable as a 4th round pick to upgrade a defense that is currently the teams greatest weakness.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed, god forbid Fletcher gives up something as valuable as a 4th round pick to upgrade a defense that is currently the teams greatest weakness.

He's not good enough for it to matter. I wont really care if we moved a 4th for him. I just know it wont matter.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Rather trade for Hjalmarsson but he has NTC and not willing to waive it according to Yotes fans

Goli is weak as piss and will fit right in

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rather trade for Hjalmarsson but he has NTC and not willing to waive it according to Yotes fans

Goli is weak as piss and will fit right in
Hjalmarsson has some custody/ex-wife issues going on. Anyone who knows any of the details feels very badly for the guy. I think it’s reasonable to believe he will never again live full-time somewhere other than where his former wife chooses to live (which she currently states will be Scottsdale forever).

Having said that, I’m not totally sure he’s completely opposed to one last playoff run via a deadline deal. I think he’ll probably retire way early (this off-season) but he might be good with one last run. Dude has made his 45m and won 3 Cups, though. So he writes his own story now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Real difference makers are rare, cost an arm and a leg at the TDL, and often don't work out b/c you only have a few weeks to develop chemistry with a new player - those kinds of trades are best made in July.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why not just wait two weeks and see if the solid defensive play by six D-men continues, and if Myers gets his mojo back.
Flyers could actually have a very solid defense if these trends continue.
Especially if AV lashes the forwards until they back check on a consistent basis, and don't head up ice without the puck.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why not just wait two weeks and see if the solid defensive play by six D-men continues, and if Myers gets his mojo back.
Flyers could actually have a very solid defense if these trends continue.
Especially if AV lashes the forwards until they back check on a consistent basis, and don't head up ice without the puck.

You're a f***ing trip.

The D had been horrid. I realize you wouldnt know that since you dont watch the games and instead just check the metrics. Their issue is extreme breakdowns rather than shift after shift terrible play which is why its not reflecting in CF and ExGF. You could at least watch the highlights of the goals if youre not gonna watch games.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

View attachment 406793

View attachment 406799

View attachment 406797

View attachment 406798

Pfft. -2.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Now I’ll admit I don’t know a ton about Goli, but is he not just a better version of Gus?
I really hope it’s not true. He doesn’t help in anyway. As you’ve all been saying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're a f***ing trip.

The D had been horrid. I realize you wouldnt know that since you dont watch the games and instead just check the metrics. Their issue is extreme breakdowns rather than shift after shift terrible play which is why its not reflecting in CF and ExGF. You could at least watch the highlights of the goals if youre not gonna watch games.

You mean like the Cap game where the breakdowns were a bad decision and pass by Elliott, a bad pass by NAK who should have shot it in deep, a bad pass by Voracek into three Caps in front of the net then failing to get back to check Carlson who wasn't even skating hard? Of the 4 goals, only one was a bad play by a defenseman (Sanheim getting undressed by Dowd).

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
This will be a little off topic, and I’m sure confidence level doesn’t help. But out lack of shot totals can be fixed by 1 thing, shooting more lol. I know I know that’s obvious, hear me out. Have you counted how many times during the game while watching you see a guy with a clear cut shot in a semi high danger area, and they instead do a drop pass, or try to make some stupid ass spinning backhand pass that gets picked off?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad