Alex Galchenyuk - 1st line talent, 3rd line minutes edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
7 points in 5 games...no big deal :yo:

Also worth noting, he brought his shooting percentage from 5.3% to 15.6% by scoring 5 goals in 7 shots, he was bound to break whatever curse he had on him! :nod:

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Kid got his confidence back..let's hope Therrien don't fool around with that and keep giving him more and more TOI and chances out there.

Still 3rd in ice-time as for a center....for those last 4 games.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
9 points in his last 10. Minus player only once in those 10 games, and good in the circle.

Better start being an adjustment in ice time again. He should be MTLs third most used forward every night.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Is he Stanley Cup championship 1st line center ready? That is the question.

I get you, but let's be a little more pragmatic. If he plays more minutes than Desharnais, we do have a better chance at the cup.

Ice time should be about 18-19 min. for Pleky's line, 16-17 min. for Galchenyuk's line, 13-14 min. for DD's line and 11-12 min for the 4th line.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Great to see this kid going on a hot streak. Confidence is a good thing and he's starting to find some. Best thing that could possibly happen for us is seeing this kid develop into the player we all hope he can be.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I have full confidence in how MT and MB have handled him. This guy is 100% away from pressure and he will only get better from it. They aren't overloading him and he's earning his ice time.

By end of the year he will be our #1B IMO.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah they're doing a great job with Galchenyuk, but I feel like it's all a year too late, this is his 4th year and he's finally getting proper center experience this season.

At least he's progressing now, but I feel like they could have given him a decent shot last year and shifted Eller to the wings sooner too.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah they're doing a great job with Galchenyuk, but I feel like it's all a year too late, this is his 4th year and he's finally getting proper center experience this season.

At least he's progressing now, but I feel like they could have given him a decent shot last year and shifted Eller to the wings sooner too.

He probably could've played C last year no problem but I don't think he would've ended the season as a #1-#2.

I think he progressed even as he played wing. Hell, he's still making points these days as a winger.:laugh:

Nynja*

Chucky looked like hot garbage when he was taken off C last year, it seemed like he took a hit in the mental aspect of the game.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Chucky looked like hot garbage when he was taken off C last year, it seemed like he took a hit in the mental aspect of the game.

He's just inconsistent. In 2013-14 he slumped hard when Gallagher was removed from EGG line.

He could very well slump again this year. It's up to management to try and help him make those slumps as short as possible.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Is he Stanley Cup championship 1st line center ready? That is the question.

His line was solid against Henrique and Cammy.
But until they are constantly matched up against opposition 1 or 2 and doing well the answer is no.
I somehow doubt coach will go there. DD and Plecky will continue to be his first and second choice.

I get you, but let's be a little more pragmatic. If he plays more minutes than Desharnais, we do have a better chance at the cup.

Ice time should be about 18-19 min. for Pleky's line, 16-17 min. for Galchenyuk's line, 13-14 min. for DD's line and 11-12 min for the 4th line.

Plecky's line could've benefitted from a 11-12 minute stint last night along with a certain defensive pairing who really suck lately. :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

I don't think we have a regular top 3 lines. If anything it should be like at the beginning of the season where pleks line gets 18 min, and the chuckie-dd lines share ~15-16 minutes a game.

There isn't technically a 1-2-3 line... more of a toughest matchup line (Pleks line), two offensive lines (Chuckie, DD) and a defensive pressure line (Mitchell/Flynn)

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Now on pace for around 20 goals and 60 points, I'll be more than happy if he can do that in his first season at center!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He probably could've played C last year no problem but I don't think he would've ended the season as a #1-#2.

I think he progressed even as he played wing. Hell, he's still making points these days as a winger.:laugh:

To be fair, even DSP puts up points as winger with Pacioretty.

Now on pace for around 20 goals and 60 points, I'll be more than happy if he can do that in his first season at center!

Honestly, if he can stay 60-65 points every season for next 5-10 years I'd be happy. Anything more is gravy.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Crazy what hitting the net does.

I've noticed that he's a lot more explosive recently too. He's using his speed more and it's paying off.

What's nice is the balance in the lineup though. A certain line can get hot on any given night and you can simply reward that line with more ice time. Every line can produce and all MT has to do is look at which line is playing best and bump up their TOI a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You can tell he worked on his speed in the off-season he now has a little burst he can put on to pull away from guys.

Crazy thing is he's still improving. It's good to see him getting results.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
As I said in the last thread. He would score in bunches.

Since he has 5 goals in 4 games

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What's nice is the balance in the lineup though. A certain line can get hot on any given night and you can simply reward that line with more ice time. Every line can produce and all MT has to do is look at which line is playing best and bump up their TOI a little bit.

The fly in the ointment is MT's inability to identify or unwillingness to use said hot line...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
As I said in the last thread. He would score in bunches.

Since he has 5 goals in 4 games

He should shoot more if he wants to continue this hot streak. He's on a ridiculous run of scoring 5 goals on his last 6 shots on net, 4 goals in his last 4 shots. :laugh:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You can tell he worked on his speed in the off-season he now has a little burst he can put on to pull away from guys.

Crazy thing is he's still improving. It's good to see him getting results.

Another crazy things is that he will probably still improve for the next 3-4 years.

Many here have been very critics with MT/MB but Galchenyuk development has been handled so well from the beginning. Galchenyuk is, in my opinion, 1 or 2 season away from being as important to this team as Price and Subban are.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
He should shoot more if he wants to continue this hot streak. He's on a ridiculous run of scoring 5 goals on his last 6 shots on net, 4 goals in his last 4 shots. :laugh:

You know who else is a streaky scorer? Pacioretty you watch he will be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad