Prospect Info: Alex DeBrincat - 2016 39th Overall (RW) /// UPDATE 11/7: signed to 3-yr ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He was #33 on BobMcKenzie's list which is a "conebsus" of 10 nhl scouts he consults..so "falling" all tge way (6 spots) to #39 give n the will the size translate to the NHL issue is not that "surprising" nor hardly much of a falk.

The issue with ho. Is not the talent level
..that is easily up there with the best of this draft..but rather the size and 1.Will it translate to the pros and/or 2.Is it correct for a club like the Hawks who already have 2 small skill stars in Kane and Panarin who are giants compared to DeBrincat's size..

Then on top of that you add Kayumov and we already have Hinostrozza and Louis ...How many smurfy can a team Tolerate.?

STAN IS simply nuts about his BPA regardless of the size picture for This Club mentality.

He sticks to his BPA and size does not matter and our club is Always gonna get pushed around and overpowered. Nice in theory to stick to BPA regardless of six bitbinmpractice there us a limit which he passed long ago already ..Now with this draft he compounds the problem.DONOT GET IT.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Things that matter:

The ability to play with the puck
The ability to make plays with the puck
The ability to make reads and decisions at a high pace
The ability to play at a high pace

Things that do not matter:
Size

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Speaking of which, I think now is a good time to look back and thank STL and PIT for drafting Johnson and Staal ahead of Toews.

Because they're bigger, you see.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Oh fiddy... :shakehead

Yeah who wants speed and skill in todays NHL? Horrible pick Stan. Shoulda drafted a 6'8 enforcer. Like seriously we picked one of two fifty goal scorers in the entire draft in the second round and your *****ing about size? Come on.

Kid has one hell of a release and can get off a real quick and accurate shot.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Things that matter:

The ability to play with the puck
The ability to make plays with the puck
The ability to make reads and decisions at a high pace
The ability to play at a high pace

Things that do not matter:
Size

Disagree, the Hawks lost a lot when they traded bickell for nothing

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Wow another small frame, softie on the puck. For all those angry that we lost Teuvo, congrats.

Have you actually seen him play to come to that conclusion or are you just guessing based on his size?

The only parralel he draws with Teuvo is that he's undersized. Other than that they arent comparable. Teuvo was extremely passive and soft on the puck where as Debrincat is anything but passive. Even though he's small he's got some snarl and will go battle for the puck regardless of how big the other guy is. Watching his highlights today i've noticed he scores ALOT of goals around the front of the cage which is pretty impressive for such a small guy. A lot of scouts have said he's "deceptively strong", I really dont know where your getting the "softie on the puck" but it appears to be very incorect.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
yeah read the whole 14 page thread on him. ANYTHING but soft. Took on a 6'5" guy once. has an edge, like Panarin, they are both VERY plucky. That will serve him well, his demeanor is a lot like Selanne.

Skilled player but he won't take anything from you. He will stand up for himself.

I LOVEEEEEE the pick, but the big concern to me is he SUCKED at the WJC. I mean he was invisible. Competition went up and he went south.

These are prospects after all. He was the last 50G scorer in the league since kane right? I thought I read that. Can't argue the value, hope he makes it. He could use 1-2 inches and 15 lbs to compete against the men. He didn't grow his last year in jr, rookie year was 5-7, and now his draft year 5-7. Crap.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Debrincat is one of only 3 players in the history of the OHL to have over 100 points in his rookie season. He joined that other undersized scrub Patrick Kane on that list. #SizeWinsChampionships

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Debrincat is one of only 3 players in the history of the OHL to have over 100 points in his rookie season. He joined that other undersized scrub Patrick Kane on that list. #SizeWinsChampionships
Saadfather that is a post you can't refuse.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
He was #33 on BobMcKenzie's list which is a "conebsus" of 10 nhl scouts he consults..so "falling" all tge way (6 spots) to #39 give n the will the size translate to the NHL issue is not that "surprising" nor hardly much of a falk.

The issue with ho. Is not the talent level
..that is easily up there with the best of this draft..but rather the size and 1.Will it translate to the pros and/or 2.Is it correct for a club like the Hawks who already have 2 small skill stars in Kane and Panarin who are giants compared to DeBrincat's size..

Then on top of that you add Kayumov and we already have Hinostrozza and Louis ...How many smurfy can a team Tolerate.?

STAN IS simply nuts about his BPA regardless of the size picture for This Club mentality.

He sticks to his BPA and size does not matter and our club is Always gonna get pushed around and overpowered. Nice in theory to stick to BPA regardless of six bitbinmpractice there us a limit which he passed long ago already ..Now with this draft he compounds the problem.DONOT GET IT.

Haha this is awesome actually and readable which is such a plus. I agree with it too.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I'm gonna call it right now... This guy goes the way of Shaw. And by that, I mean that he's a small gritty guy who accepts and embraces more of a grinding style to pave his way to an NHL roster spot. He's got talent for sure, and admittedly, I don't know much about him. But, from what I've gathered and what I've seen, it seems that he's a guy that can finish that relies a lot on good set ups and opportunities. Without Kane on his wing, would he be able to generate the offense that is expected?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he play with McDavid and Strome? Those are the guys driving the line, not himself. I recall someone posted about him being one of three people who scored over 100 points his rookie year in the O... Kane being one of them. But Debrincat reminds me more of Turris than Kane. Just my opinion.

Obviously, I hope he reaches the level we want him to, but I just think it seems that he'll have to learn to produce on his own. He's not always going to have defenseman missing coverage and dynamite passes in the slot to pot goals. I do really admire his knack for the net though

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
DeBrincat is NOTHING like Tuevo. DeBrincat is very strong with the pucks and can go to the corners and Coke out with the puck. Where Tuevo is a perimeter player.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm gonna call it right now... This guy goes the way of Shaw. And by that, I mean that he's a small gritty guy who accepts and embraces more of a grinding style to pave his way to an NHL roster spot. He's got talent for sure, and admittedly, I don't know much about him. But, from what I've gathered and what I've seen, it seems that he's a guy that can finish that relies a lot on good set ups and opportunities. Without Kane on his wing, would he be able to generate the offense that is expected?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he play with McDavid and Strome? Those are the guys driving the line, not himself. I recall someone posted about him being one of three people who scored over 100 points his rookie year in the O... Kane being one of them. But Debrincat reminds me more of Turris than Kane. Just my opinion.

Obviously, I hope he reaches the level we want him to, but I just think it seems that he'll have to learn to produce on his own. He's not always going to have defenseman missing coverage and dynamite passes in the slot to pot goals. I do really admire his knack for the net though

DeBrincat is nothing like Shaw, other than he does have grit. Far, far, far more skilled. If his only big season was playing w/McJesus and Strome, well, ok, you'd have a point. But the kid's piled up huge numbers w/o those guys. Will be very interesting to see how he progresses.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Had sick chemistry with both McDavid and Strome

Played sick rookie season for Lake Forest Academy
74 goals,71 assists in 66 games,went undrafted
was free agent signing for Otters (OHL),got
lucky that Otters was the only team interested,
Otters scout spent 3 days in Lake Forest,saw
2 Alex's games,Alex scored hat-trick in his second game,
rest was history.

Man i never knew that, LFA is not far from me, my Son played some games in this rink a couple of years ago and my high school team used to play against these guys in the late 70's and early 80's, some years they had enough players to form 2 lines but they would always compete and some years later eventually won a championship (around 1994).....sounds like a good pick, looking forward to seeing this dude.

Is a high school...tuition there runs approx. 45K per annual and many if not most students live on campus :amazed:

galaxytrash

Mar 24, 2008
Thailand
He's the smallest player in the draft.

That being said he has more points than any other prospect over the past two years.

You guys will love him as someone who followed him for two years.

not the smallest actually......

Canadian center Matthew Phillips, taken by Calgary at No. 166, was the lightest player at 140 pounds. Phillips, at 5-foot-6, was also the shortest player selected. His lack of size was not a hindrance this season, when he had 37 goals and 76 points in 72 games with Victoria in the Western Hockey League.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-notes-and-numbers/c-281063500

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad