Prospect Info: Alex DeBrincat - 2016 39th Overall (RW) /// UPDATE 11/7: signed to 3-yr ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
This guy was projected to be a late first round pick. I was so surprised to see we got him. But of course, only whining because people see size and that's it.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Think Steve Sullivan with Debrincat .. minus the outstanding lateral skating but with a much better shot. I think he'll play in the NHL ... there's no reason to be annoyed with the selection. Personally .. I could see Debrincat surprising in camp and getting 9 games. Fearless prediction: He'll look better than Schmaltz. Chicago may need patience with Debrincat if he doesn't score right away ... remember .. Sully was picked off waivers. Daniel Briere was available on waivers with Phoenix. Just be patient.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It's 2016, not 1986. Get over size.

Great value getting him in that spot. He's a goal scoring machine, plain and simple, and despite his size is scrappy to play against and doesn't get knocked around. Love the pick in that spot.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Had sick chemistry with both McDavid and Strome

Played sick rookie season for Lake Forest Academy
74 goals,71 assists in 66 games,went undrafted
was free agent signing for Otters (OHL),got
lucky that Otters was the only team interested,
Otters scout spent 3 days in Lake Forest,saw
2 Alex's games,Alex scored hat-trick in his second game,
rest was history.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Think Steve Sullivan with Debrincat .. minus the outstanding lateral skating but with a much better shot. I think he'll play in the NHL ... there's no reason to be annoyed with the selection. Personally .. I could see Debrincat surprising in camp and getting 9 games. Fearless prediction: He'll look better than Schmaltz. Chicago may need patience with Debrincat if he doesn't score right away ... remember .. Sully was picked off waivers. Daniel Briere was available on waivers with Phoenix. Just be patient.

I tend to shy away from comps but I like this post.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I can't believe he fell that far down. Kid was ranked like #29. I thought he would be one of the top guys off the board today. Great pick.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But we have Kane and Panarin..How many small skill wingers is too.much for a team? I would have preferred Morrison .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sure DE Brincat starred with McGod feeding him.the year before and Strome doing it this year. .And so you expect Toews to generate on the rush padding like that? NO way...

OR DO you think they see him on line #3 with Schmaltz feeding him.and going away from the conventional 3rd line role and more into attack mode role?

I do not know ..But I do know that probably no GM in the NHL is comfortable with 3 small top six wingers ...It is too small a lineup .if he is in the top six with Panarin and Kane..and so I just do not get what Stan was thinking
Here.I guess he wants to re-design the NHL to all smurfy offense all tge time...when almost every other club was adding big size ...

Maybe you can justify a plethora of small up front IF you are big on the back end..but we added no big d-men at all...More smurfy drafted for the d-spits.

SO overall I do not like what Stan did in this draft..Way over-emphadisbon small..except for goalie where we could had 2 good ones but only risked on one goalie in a sister not deep in goalie prospects. .

So I see lots of opportunity cost blown by Stan...Too. much smug. .not enough goalies taken though I do love the Wouters pick ..

In short.
.not criticizing g the skill of DeBrincat or even his size..bit rather the fit for THIS club...we need some size and power I the wings too. .You do not replace Hossa with a skill smurfy. ..Maybe Stan thinks he cannot re-sign Panarin so will need to trade him and DE Brincat is small skill forward insurance? I d9 not know ..but if you were a GM who had 2 skunked but small forwards on one line in the top six do you add a 3rd smur to your top 6 or even to your top 9?I think you do not. SO I do not get it.

THEN he adds no d-men with any size at all...Horrible Mix. .all of 1 type.

THE only picks I am excited about are tge goalie Peeters and the Danish Buzzsaw in Mattias From. I also would not have culled 2 picks from.2016 to.get merely 2 picks back.in 2017 that were hardly great improvements in rounds (not earlier by much if any) ...I understand Stan wants to shine in 2017bat home but still he left prospects we could have had on the board by ding this..Unless he thinks 2017 is a deeper draft and that the delays are worth it or unless he thinks having more 2017 picks may be bait to move up more in that draft so he cam bask in glory more..then the opportunity cost of delaying and bypassing 2 picks that we could have added to our system now is a very debatable strategy.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kid has scored like a maniac his whole life. Id bet on that continuing.

Will be incumbent on Blackhawks org to develop the rest of his game without strangling his offensive upside.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Would like to see him get a shot with the Blackhawks in following fall.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Sure DE Brincat starred with McGod feeding him.the year before and Strome doing it this year. .And so you expect Toews to generate on the rush padding like that? NO way...

OR DO you think they see him on line #3 with Schmaltz feeding him.and going away from the conventional 3rd line role and more into attack mode role?

I do not know ..But I do know that probably no GM in the NHL is comfortable with 3 small top six wingers ...It is too small a lineup .if he is in the top six with Panarin and Kane..and so I just do not get what Stan was thinking
Here.I guess he wants to re-design the NHL to all smurfy offense all tge time...when almost every other club was adding big size ...

Maybe you can justify a plethora of small up front IF you are big on the back end..but we added no big d-men at all...More smurfy drafted for the d-spits.

SO overall I do not like what Stan did in this draft..Way over-emphadisbon small..except for goalie where we could had 2 good ones but only risked on one goalie in a sister not deep in goalie prospects. .

So I see lots of opportunity cost blown by Stan...Too. much smug. .not enough goalies taken though I do love the Wouters pick ..

In short.
.not criticizing g the skill of DeBrincat or even his size..bit rather the fit for THIS club...we need some size and power I the wings too. .You do not replace Hossa with a skill smurfy. ..Maybe Stan thinks he cannot re-sign Panarin so will need to trade him and DE Brincat is small skill forward insurance? I d9 not know ..but if you were a GM who had 2 skunked but small forwards on one line in the top six do you add a 3rd smur to your top 6 or even to your top 9?I think you do not. SO I do not get it.

THEN he adds no d-men with any size at all...Horrible Mix. .all of 1 type.

THE only picks I am excited about are tge goalie Peeters and the Danish Buzzsaw in Mattias From. I also would not have culled 2 picks from.2016 to.get merely 2 picks back.in 2017 that were hardly great improvements in rounds (not earlier by much if any) ...I understand Stan wants to shine in 2017bat home but still he left prospects we could have had on the board by ding this..Unless he thinks 2017 is a deeper draft and that the delays are worth it or unless he thinks having more 2017 picks may be bait to move up more in that draft so he cam bask in glory more..then the opportunity cost of delaying and bypassing 2 picks that we could have added to our system now is a very debatable strategy.

I watched TSN's coverage of the draft today, and they kept preaching how teams continue to overvalue size in today's game, and pass on smaller guys. They flat out called it a mistake.

They also used the term "undersized" a few times, and corrected it by saying something to the effect of "maybe this is the new average size".

Bottom line, the Canadian broadcasters seem pretty convinced size is not a big deal anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad