Alex Burmistrov

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You certainly did Garrett , you have adjusted your position after it has been shown that Burmistrov is not the player some portrayed him to be.

BTW yet another article today from an international journalist touching on his character , or attitude , or his priorities.

I am not a big fan because imo he didn't warrant being a BIG fan , never said he was not worth having though , he's played to a level of a decent asset , nothing more imo . Of course as I read things , a lot if not most of the reason for his actual production and performance is because of his decisions. That part I'm not a fan of , because I think it could be much better but isn't because of his choices.

I don't think so, JK. Most of Garret's numbers support Burmi being a talented, two-way top-9 player, with definite top-6 upside, given his age. (Remind you of anyone?) I'm on his side in that respect.
Garret appears indifferent to his alleged character issues, whereas you are very concerned about them. I am closer to your position on character.
But one should not let character assessment get in the way of objective talent assessment.

jetkarma*

I don't think so, JK. Most of Garret's numbers support Burmi being a talented, two-way top-9 player, with definite top-6 upside, given his age. (Remind you of anyone?) I'm on his side in that respect.
Garret appears indifferent to his alleged character issues, whereas you are very concerned about them. I am closer to your position on character.
But one should not let character assessment get in the way of objective talent assessment.

Are you stating this on his current position , or the one he had for a long time previously ?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I believe they are open to him returning but aren't doing cartwheels about that option nor pushing really hard to facilitate that.

I think the Jets were being prudent in that if they traded him a year or so ago they almost assuredly would have not gotten much , now that still may only be a third rounder on his own perhaps , but the possibility of him elevating his value was always there and as I said the Jets were able to make trades using non prime assets.

IMO , they have concerns , aren't totally sold on him but would be ok with signing him if they feel he was going to improve his buy in , on and off the ice. Not having to be Scheifele like , but certainly better than it was and has been .

Chevy simply is managing an asset , he'll make a decision on what the best road to take is and proceed. I'll say this , the best on ice scenario would be to have Burmistrov sign and show up determined to be a good team player. That would trump what he would return in a trade at this time imo .

Again , another article shows up , some can believe while there is plenty of smoke , there's no fire if they want .

I hear ya. Going to be an interesting summer and TC that's for sure.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
More and more posters , fans are now saying he is a 3rd line player , of course that wasn't the case for a long time .

Some had that position before it became as evident as it has turned out to be , others maintained he was unquestionably a top 6 forward and produced that way .
The best way to look at it is that he was our 2nd-best centre, and a top-6 player the 2 years he was here. But that says more about Jets 2.0 than about Burmistrov. He had teamates like Jokinen, Miettinen, Wellwood, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, a still-recovering Fehr, Meech, Flood, etc, etc.

Jets 2.1 have Little/Scheifele/Lowry at centre. Burmistrov would now be best utilized as a top-9 winger. The fact that he can fill in at centre in case of injury increases his value somewhat.

Summary; Burmistrov hasn't gotten worse; the Jets have gotten better over the past 2 years. It's a process :)

jetkarma*

The best way to look at it is that he was our 2nd-best centre, and a top-6 player the 2 years he was here. But that says more about Jets 2.0 than about Burmistrov. He had teamates like Jokinen, Miettinen, Wellwood, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, a still-recovering Fehr, Meech, Flood, etc, etc.

Jets 2.1 have Little/Scheifele/Lowry at centre. Burmistrov would now be best utilized as a top-9 winger. The fact that he can fill in at centre in case of injury increases his value somewhat.

Summary; Burmistrov hasn't gotten worse; the Jets have gotten better over the past 2 years. It's a process :)

It's said for chuckles here , but it is a process. However the names you listed weren't salient to whom he was considred better and more valuable than .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Here's a question for y'all: Say Burmi signs with us and plays next year. What kind of reception does he get at the MTSC?

We know what the general public thinks about players and the truth are often 2 different things. Do you think that people think Burmistrov betrayed us and broke his contract with us?

Remember, our fans think that Pavelec is a good goalie, so anything is possible :laugh:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Fun fact
My picture being Burmi is satire on people like Jet Karma that think what I say has anything to do with what I like or want as a fan or opinion.

I merely point out the facts, as that's like my job.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Be better to compare Burmistrov to what 3rd and 2nd line players tend to do.

Burmi scored like a third line player, so you can see why some people like JK gets confused.

His overall impact, as you can see from Goals Above Replacement over his 2 seasons averaged out would have still been in the Jets top 6 forwards this year.

In other words, his impact on wins is above average for middle six forwards.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I haven't argued anything on the character issue. The concerns could be legit and if so they matter.
There I have no qualms with what JK has said.

His position on Burmis on ice results is the issue. It's just wrong.

Every time I point it out though he seems to straw man, like pointing out the poor article that recently went out. On ice impact despite character is still on ice impact. Character matters and can make the results not worth it but the results are what they are.

There's a difference between saying a player has certain level of on ice results but his character flaws make him not worth it, and his character makes his on ice results different than what they actually were.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Here's a question for y'all: Say Burmi signs with us and plays next year. What kind of reception does he get at the MTSC?

We know what the general public thinks about players and the truth are often 2 different things. Do you think that people think Burmistrov betrayed us and broke his contract with us?

Remember, our fans think that Pavelec is a good goalie, so anything is possible :laugh:

What fan base are you looking at regarding Pav?

Regarding Burmi - he is a third line forward with puck control ability however is easily knocked off the puck. He has adequate defensive ability. He can fill a role on the team however I don't think too many fans will spend a lot of vocal effort on his return - a return I don't believe will ever happen.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Regarding Burmi - he is a third line forward with puck control ability however is easily knocked off the puck. He has adequate defensive ability. He can fill a role on the team however I don't think too many fans will spend a lot of vocal effort on his return - a return I don't believe will ever happen.

Easily knocked off the puck? He's quite strong on the puck, I thought.

Regarding his return - I'd place a pretty high bet on him returning to NA, with a strong likelihood of him returning to the Jets. It would be in Chevy's best interest, if he wants to maximize his value.

jetkarma*

Easy to see why some get confused when they have selective recall.

Unlike some my view on Burmistrov has been constant , and surprise now most view him as a third line player . Wow , that certainly is different than saying that he was more valuable , better long term and more important to the Jets than Mark Scheifele.

That's also not addressing the off ice issues , as yet another article featured prominently yesterday , of course some dismiss that because they may have previous positions that he didn't have a petulant attitude years ago .

Thing is , he can change , change his on ice value and also his desire to put the team first . Still time . Of course some think at this time he was not a bad draft at 8 overall , I have no problems disagreeing with that position by those that have said that.

boanst

May 25, 2013
What fan base are you looking at regarding Pav?

Hmmm the Burmi I remember was quite good at playing keep away from the other team and usually lost the puck because he held it for too long.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Unlike some my view on Burmistrov has been constant , and surprise now most view him as a third line player . Wow , that certainly is different than saying that he was more valuable , better long term and more important to the Jets than Mark Scheifele.

That's also not addressing the off ice issues , as yet another article featured prominently yesterday , of course some dismiss that because they may have previous positions that he didn't have a petulant attitude years ago .

Thing is , he can change , change his on ice value and also his desire to put the team first . Still time . Of course some think at this time he was not a bad draft at 8 overall , I have no problems disagreeing with that position by those that have said that.

Who said that and when and how many said it how often?

It seems to me that most people have been very consistent in their assessments of Burmi. If the assessments have changed from 2C to 3W it is because the team has changed, not Burmi nor the assessment of Burmi.

Your opinion on the off-ice side of the equation is quite clear. I don't know if you have some more substantial insider info or not but what you keep referring to here is just reading between the lines. It is based on hearsay and second or third hand innuendo. The only thing substantive about it is that it keeps cropping up.

You may or may not be right. There may be issues of attitude, character, maturity, etc. We will have to wait and see how that plays out. What you have been stating here is too insubstantial to convince me.

The bottom line is that we need top 9 Fs and we own the rights to one in Burmi. How good he will be remains to be seen but it would be foolish not to try to find out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

wait i think I have it.

Mr Green in the den with the candlestick?

:sarcasm:

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Wasn't Burmistrov's production compared to Scheifele's in an attempt to show that he was putting up points at a pretty good rate, at the same point in their development? Not that Burmistrov was better, only that some of us had unreasonable expectations of him. People were being very patient with Scheifele, but not at all with Burmistrov even though they weren't that different at the same age.

I think it's likely that Scheifele has surpassed Burmistrov in terms of point production, but we won't really know until Burmistrov has an opportunity to play similar minutes with quality linemates and PP time.

I think Burmistrov is a very good 3rd liner who still has upside and can move up the lineup if necessary. Just like Lowry, it would be great if they can develop their offensive game more.

When you read some of these stories about Burmistrov's attitude it is easy to assume he was difficult to coach. Yet, those Coach's also have reputations. Noel clearly lost the entire room and was let go very shortly after Burmistrov left. Burmistrov wasn't the only one with a problem then. The Coach on Ak Bars is also notoriously unliked.

The Burmistrov I remember was a rink rat, always working his but off, always the last player on the ice during warm up, and playing shinny with the kids in his neighbourhood.

I think he deserves a chance to prove himself. I'm sure he's aware of the reputation he's got in Winnipeg. If he really is a problem, I'd still like Chevy to sign him, play him and then trade him for something. Let's get some value for him at least.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
JK is correct that the popular consensus on where Burmi fits into the lineup has definitely changed here. If you go back 2-3 years when Burmi was with the team, you'll find threads where more than a few state that he is "the most skilled player on the team" or some variation of that theme.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
JK is correct that the popular consensus on where Burmi fits into the lineup has definitely changed here. If you go back 2-3 years when Burmi was with the team, you'll find threads where more than a few state that he is "the most skilled player on the team" or some variation of that theme.

The roster has also changed - it's a far better line-up than 2 years ago.

I never saw Burmi as more than a 2nd to 3rd line player myself - that said, he could be a very useful middle-6 player, with the ability to move up and down the line-up in a similar fashion to Frolik's usage.

jetkarma*

Who said that and when and how many said it how often?

It seems to me that most people have been very consistent in their assessments of Burmi. If the assessments have changed from 2C to 3W it is because the team has changed, not Burmi nor the assessment of Burmi.

Your opinion on the off-ice side of the equation is quite clear. I don't know if you have some more substantial insider info or not but what you keep referring to here is just reading between the lines. It is based on hearsay and second or third hand innuendo. The only thing substantive about it is that it keeps cropping up.

You may or may not be right. There may be issues of attitude, character, maturity, etc. We will have to wait and see how that plays out. What you have been stating here is too insubstantial to convince me.

The bottom line is that we need top 9 Fs and we own the rights to one in Burmi. How good he will be remains to be seen but it would be foolish not to try to find out.

The person on here that said the bolded can tell you who he is if he wants .

Why not read the latest article that touches on his attitude if you want .

We do need players and please tell me when I've said that under no circumstances could Burmistrov come back . Also that I don't think he has some talent and is an asset . It would be foolish to bring him back IF the Jets felt that was not right the decision , that part we are waiting on .

Not my mission to convince you one way or the other , nor anyone else , but bringing things to light ( like yet another article by a journalist ) that touches on this matter isn't forbidden on here , at least not yet .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wasn't Burmistrov's production compared to Scheifele's in an attempt to show that he was putting up points at a pretty good rate, at the same point in their development? Not that Burmistrov was better, only that some of us had unreasonable expectations of him. People were being very patient with Scheifele, but not at all with Burmistrov even though they weren't that different at the same age.

I think it's likely that Scheifele has surpassed Burmistrov in terms of point production, but we won't really know until Burmistrov has an opportunity to play similar minutes with quality linemates and PP time.

I think Burmistrov is a very good 3rd liner who still has upside and can move up the lineup if necessary. Just like Lowry, it would be great if they can develop their offensive game more.

When you read some of these stories about Burmistrov's attitude it is easy to assume he was difficult to coach. Yet, those Coach's also have reputations. Noel clearly lost the entire room and was let go very shortly after Burmistrov left. Burmistrov wasn't the only one with a problem then. The Coach on Ak Bars is also notoriously unliked.

The Burmistrov I remember was a rink rat, always working his but off, always the last player on the ice during warm up, and playing shinny with the kids in his neighbourhood.

I think he deserves a chance to prove himself. I'm sure he's aware of the reputation he's got in Winnipeg. If he really is a problem, I'd still like Chevy to sign him, play him and then trade him for something. Let's get some value for him at least.

There is no offensive comparison, Scheifele's NHLE's are comparatively higher each year except for their respective draft years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad