Player Discussion: Alex Barré-Boulet

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I fear trading ABB could be a mistake unless we get something we need. At least have a look at how he does once the season gets underway rather than trading him for a fifth round pick or something.

Reactions: Sky04

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I fear trading ABB could be a mistake unless we get something we need. At least have a look at how he does once the season gets underway rather than trading him for a fifth round pick or something.
I honestly dont see how we could get a fifth. As has been pointed out, this is a guy who has cleared waivers more than once.

Reactions: Tampa22

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I honestly dont see how we could get a fifth. As has been pointed out, this is a guy who has cleared waivers more than once.
Even worse. No point in trading him if we get basically nothing. Rather waive him and have him help out in Syracuse and for injury insurance if they're dead set in not having him on the roster. If someone claims him, then so be it.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
3rd star tonight

Forget the goal, I really thought his best shift way in the 3rd period when he picked off a pass through the neutral zone and then later stole the puck from Orlov down low which led to a scoring chance for Kuch in the high slot. He’s being proactive and making things happen instead of waiting for the play to come his way.

Coop tonight:

“He’s got a pretty elite hockey iq. He has ability. He's done that at levels he's played at prior to the NHL. He's got offensive instincts and so you learn to play with these guys and where they want the puck and where you should put it, so he's slowly learning that. As you can see, he can finish. You gotta get him in these offensive situations and he can excel. So it's been good to see for him."
"With every game he's getting better. I think for him to excel he has to play with some pretty good players because like I said, he's got some gifted offensive talents. So, you have to put him in a situation to succeed. Not asking him to go be on a checking line, kill penalties for you, and block shots - you ask him to do what he's doing here now. He's making the best of his opportunity and I'm really happy for him. Being in the organization, he's been here a while. You know he gets a chance here, and then maybe a year we don't get injured so he really doesn't get a chance to come up. So, I'm really happy with how he's played for us, and really stuck with it."

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Those were ABBs stats in the NHL compared to Hagels at the time. So yes you're right he was outperformed by an AHLer.
Lol when people here thought ABB was better then hagel lol

Problem with ABB is simple he’s got to play in the top 6 to be productive around our guys he is not a grinder !

He can’t work in our bottom six the guy has been great with the crunch in the top 6

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
ABB & Raddysh have a lot of chemistry together from their time in Syracuse as we saw last night, as was mentioned in the post game interview. Will be huge if that can transfer to the NHL level.

While I think it's great ABB is getting top line minutes, the only reason I can think of placing him there instead of Hagel is to get him acclimated to the speed of the game and system with our best forwards.

So far, do you think he deserves to stay on the 1st line?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
ABB & Raddysh have a lot of chemistry together from their time in Syracuse as we saw last night, as was mentioned in the post game interview. Will be huge if that can transfer to the NHL level.

While I think it's great ABB is getting top line minutes, the only reason I can think of placing him there instead of Hagel is to get him acclimated to the speed of the game and system with our best forwards.

I think ABB on the top line also helps our depth. As long as the top line isnt being anchored by him, it's good to have him there because it allows Stamkos and Hagel to add scoring on the lower lines.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I give Abb a lot of shit but I’m as happy as anyone to see him get some success. If anyone can jump start confidence it’s playing with point and kuch. You can tell he is starting to relax and make things happen. Getting used to the speed of nhl is huge. Let’s hope this continues!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think ABB on the top line also helps our depth. As long as the top line isnt being anchored by him, it's good to have him there because it allows Stamkos and Hagel to add scoring on the lower lines.

This, as long as he's not a net negative on that line it helps spread the depth out, and he's a to chip in with some creative plays. Hagel is the one driving the 2nd line but Stamkos gives them an extra threat.

I don't see why Sheary or Motte should be in the lineup at all considering our 4th line is completely neutered offensively as it is but considering they're vets you'll probably see Merula sit soon if he doesn't get going.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
I don't see why Sheary or Motte should be in the lineup at all considering our 4th line is completely neutered offensively as it is but considering they're vets you'll probably see Merula sit soon if he doesn't get going.
I was also wondering who sits when Motte is healthy? I think was going to say Eyssimont because they seem similar, though Motte might have more offense. And that's not because I think Eyssimont's been bad. One thing that will help Merela I think is that he's been killing penalties, and our PK has done well thus far.

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I was also wondering who sits when Motte is healthy? I think was going to say Eyssimont because they seem similar, though Motte might have more offense. And that's not because I think Eyssimont's been bad. One thing that will help Merela I think is that he's been killing penalties, and our PK has done well thus far.
Mmmm, don't think Eyssimont will sit, Cooper likes him and more energy guy than Motte and Sheary, they will switch between dress/scratch. Don't see Watson out of the team, Merela could be send to the AHL. The question is what will happen when Vasy was back, that's the real problem!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Yes. Point and Kucherov will produce with or without him and ABB isn't going to labor on bottom lines like he is J.T Brown or Mikey. His alternative is Stamkos. And he has been taking it upon himself for like 4 years to be the smartest guy in the ice because he always got stuck with the linemate who fell down and the other who would go through scoring funks that could last 25 games. It rarely ever goes well. Leave Paul and Hagel with him. It's cooking to crispy perfection right now.

Just leave it alone. This is the first time in ABB's career it looks like he's understanding the NHL level. Other lines are not a good idea

Last edited:

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
This, as long as he's not a net negative on that line it helps spread the depth out, and he's a to chip in with some creative plays. Hagel is the one driving the 2nd line but Stamkos gives them an extra threat.

Merela is playing great, hes 25 and fits his role perfectly. Coop has a lot of trust in him and you can see it with his pk and the defensive reps late in games. Sheary is the odd man out, the guy is trash on both ends of the rink.

Reactions: DFC and Meuracas

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
I've been a fan of ABB ever since he showed up in the organization. It's good to see him get another chance in the NHL. He seems to be making the most of this opportunity.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Yeah, I'm not seeing any issues with Merela. Hes applying pressure and playing a basic plug role. The problem, I think, was a lot of people saw offensive upside that was probably never there.
We’re 7 games into the season, I think it’s a little early to say there is no offensive upside…I also think it’s a question of playing a role, I’m confident that if he ever is given a more offensive assignment there’s a good chance for success as well, he was nearly PPG in Liiga.

Back on topic, ABB has looked good on the top line and shown chemistry too, plenty of good plays in the games I’ve seen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We’re 7 games into the season, I think it’s a little early to say there is no offensive upside…I also think it’s a question of playing a role, I’m confident that if he ever is given a more offensive assignment there’s a good chance for success as well, he was nearly PPG in Liiga.

Back on topic, ABB has looked good on the top line and shown chemistry too, plenty of good plays in the games I’ve seen.
He doesnt seem to have a top-6 nhl skillset, IMO, but I feel like he's been good in his role.

ABB I actually think has been fairly neutral on the top line. Not great, not bad, which is good enough for what we need. We just need someone who can hang with those two like TyJo in 2019. Doesnt have to be the guy who will produce the most in the role -- both Stamkos and Hagel would put up bigger numbers in that spot. But having ABB there, doing "good enough" will hopefully create scoring throughout the line up.

Reactions: Hoek and Meuracas

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He doesnt seem to have a top-6 nhl skillset, IMO, but I feel like he's been good in his role.

ABB I actually think has been fairly neutral on the top line. Not great, not bad, which is good enough for what we need. We just need someone who can hang with those two like TyJo in 2019. Doesnt have to be the guy who will produce the most in the role -- both Stamkos and Hagel would put up bigger numbers in that spot. But having ABB there, doing "good enough" will hopefully create scoring throughout the line up.

Even if ABB only scores like 30 points it's better than anyone else we're going to get for that price. For this year at least. The whole point of me ever suggesting a guy like Drouin, Gusev or Gurianov was literally for that scenario. I think he can do it. I just hope the poor guy has actually made some money after all that time in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad