Player Discussion: Alex Barré-Boulet

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Even if ABB only scores like 30 points it's better than anyone else we're going to get for that price. For this year at least. The whole point of me ever suggesting a guy like Drouin, Gusev or Gurianov was literally for that scenario. I think he can do it. I just hope the poor guy has actually made some money after all that time in the AHL

His recent deal was structured so he got 1 way pay this year and last, he'll have made just north of 1.5M in the last 2 years, he would've been fine money wise even if he was in the AHL right now.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah, I'm not seeing any issues with Merela. Hes applying pressure and playing a basic plug role. The problem, I think, was a lot of people saw offensive upside that was probably never there.
The thing with Merela, he is getting chances. Like pretty much every game he's had at least 1 or 2 chances. Puck isn't going in. I think when the flood gates open, he might end up around 30 points this year.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on ABB today:

"He's playing with some pretty darn good players, and he has a skill set to do that. His issue would be can he keep up, can he win those puck battles? He's doing that, and now he's starting to get rewarded with some points. I think BB's now getting more comfortable in the NHL which I think helps. You're starting to see things happen time and time again. But the big thing is can he keep up with the play, and he's clearly showing that he can. You talk about roster issues (with Motte coming back), well those are good ones to have when guys are making decisions hard on you."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
2nd star tonight. 4 goals, 7 points in 11 games so far

Montreal media asking Coop about ABB tonight:

"There's countless stories about players who have been goal scorers and point-getters their whole career, but it doesn't necessarily translate when you get to the NHL because now you're playing with the best of the best. You have to refine your game. To be able to make this league is one thing, but to stay in this league is a whole different animal. For him, it's not just about putting the puck in the net or setting somebody up. You have to be responsible because there are going to be times you're going to be on the ice against some really good players. If you can't show you can play defense, it's hard to stay in this league. So BB's shown in this early part of the season that we can put him out in different situations. So, that's obviously why he's still with us, and good for him."
"It's different. You know, Nikita Kucherov comes up (from Syracuse) and he never goes back. You know Brayden Point. Those guys are special players. BB is how the whole process works. I go right back to Yanni Gourde. Yanni Gourde came up, played a little bit, and went back down. Came up, played a little bit, went back down. Came up, never left. You hope that's the trajectory that BB takes. When coming to this league, some of it is just eye opening, and then a lot of it is experience, and then getting use to the speed of the league. Once you figure that out, now let's see if you can keep playing, and Yanni's like the poster child for that. Hopefully BB can follow in his footsteps."

Reactions: Hoek and DaBolts

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Dude was playing with Glendening and Motte tonight for the most part

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Gotta give him credit: he’s certainly stepped his game up so far this year. Hope he continues to prove his doubters (myself included) wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad