News Article: Aleksi Saarela bashes Carolina Hurricanes in a western Finnish newspaper

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
wait a minute, that's not Lady Gaga, is it?

If so I will have to revise to 1, 4, 2, 3, 5
It's the Rongoritos super fan Margot Robbie.

You have Margot Robbie rising a spot at the down end of the list for the cred of her being Lady Gaga.

Goddammit you whiny Saarela for making me realize the true workings of the entertainment industry hype machine!

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
That's why I don't bother with other fans from my team. You have to be the most divisive group.

Serious question: what did you think was going to happen, here?

"Hey, I'll just lob this incendiary into this forum where I've never posted, tell all of those who react that they are unfriendly, then claim that I'm above their immature behavior."

You're not the worst type of Internet Commenter, but you're definitely in the top 3.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I HAVE THIS TO SAY.

RULE NUMBER THREE OF PATH OF VENGEANCE.

DON’T ****ING WHINE. COMMIT.

(IMAGINE IT DELIVERED BY DR. COX FROM SCRUBS.)

Needs more girl names.

Francine.

Hopefully that guys stay will be Marleau like.
So long as we don’t have to pay him $6 million or whatever the Marleau buyout wound up being.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
unsurprising comments from a player who, as the article mentions, had been on an accelerated path and playing above his age group for years and not understanding the attributes that he needed to display in order to earn a promotion. there are valid points on both sides of this discussion and they provide us insight into more than saarela's personal outlook. when he speaks regarding some players on the team that had resigned themselves to not getting a chance in carolina, we can assume a few of them based on recent departures. poturalski, carrick, roy, gauthier (based on previous offseason griping) it wouldn't surprise me if those among this group asked for trades if they didn't have the ability to depart as free agents like poturalski did. waddell and company accommodated them all. only gauthier remains, and likely with some assurances for his future.

brind'amour is going to be a difficult coach to break in under for guys who play a certain style of game. if you're among the aforementioned group, it must have been difficult to see players like greg mckegg, clark bishop, saku manalaenen, and patrick brown come up ahead of you when they're playing behind you in charlotte. even having warren foegele make the team out of camp was something of a surprise as far as the perceived pecking order was concerned. brind'amour sought reliable, replicable results and mistake free, full on effort hockey. that's not in saarela's vocabulary. all but poturalski struggled mightily with inconsistency and with his singular goal being promotion, it's not surprising. if you're not playing to get better, you're wasting everyone's time in a developmental league. especially your own. the irony of saarela's complaints is that these two years he has spent refining his game in the ahl will be a pivotal part of his success moving forward if he's to have any, but he'll likely never be aware of that or give it the consideration it deserves.

with that said, we have no room for whingers. even talented ones. saarela just conjured up an enormous plate of crow and rang the bell. the next six months will decide who eats it. i suspect he should have his fork ready.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As I posted earlier, other than Staal, every forward played 70+ games. Other than Ferland, who played 71, the rest of the forwards,outside of Staal missed 6 games combined.

Either you had to be a center, or a 4th liner to get a call up. Pretty cut and dry for me.
edBQBeJ.gif

Simply put last season our 4th line guys on paper were still guys that could play up in the lineup when needed (Foegele, McGinn). Rod had pretty clear roles defined for his top 9 players stylistically. The guys that already are on the roster that are capable of playing that top 9 role are always going to be the ones that get the benefit of the doubt until they show they're not capable of it. So what you end up with is a bunch of guys filling up as needed (which wasn't often) and guys filling in on the 4th line when they're called up. If you can't play an NHL 4th line game, you weren't going to be the one called up last year, even if you're more skilled than the guys that were called up they're still a better fit. I mean an argument can maybe be made for Goat, but if you need someone to go out there and try to grind like a motherf***er and hit everything that moves for 8 minutes of ice time, who would you rather have: one of Saarela, Poturalski, Kuokkanen or one of Brown, Bishop, Saku? If I need a 4th liner I'm calling up one of the last 3 every time over the first 3. Can't say Saarela's wrong when he says he didn't get a shot, but our top 9 was (aside from Staal) healthy all year, what do you expect, Dundon to go out and hire Jeff Gillooly to kneecap someone so you can get some NHL ice time?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So yeah apparently Sara Civ's been tweeting about it and Sami Hoff, the writer of the follow-up comment article with emphasized toxicity is the Finn-speaking source for her, and it gets press, but how many in the Americas actually has read the original Satakunnan Kansa bit or Helsinki Hurricanes translation of it?

Yes, Saarela among other personal "complaints" had some outspoken criticism of the management and about right decisions (in his opinion) not being made. This seems to be a crime, without any needed examination into if there is any validity to the criticism justifying it.

**** you Sami Hoff, you and your point of Canadamedia not liking this stuff you yourself took out of the context and then bringing this out-of-context stuff to the Canadamedia's attention to ensure your expected ****storm, and the horses you rode in on. If it's slow summer, go fish or something.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I mean like, I ****ing hate this when a secondary journo does a commentary spin-job article on another article that's either behind a paywall or otherwise unreachable to the public, and then everymoron goes and comments the matter by the secondary spin-job article.

It's like... there's stuff reported, and there's some falsity in the reporting, and... is there any good word for this stuff? This is falsity-in-the-reporting!

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
HE WAS NED ****ING BRADEN IN SLAP SHOT

Of the choices you could have made with that joke, you *definitely* made the wrong one.

If I was to mention they had a Roadhouse in Twin Peaks, would you point at me and exclaim: "His defining role was in Youngblood!"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad