Proposal: Aleksandar Georgiev to Oilers

What do you think?

• Total voters

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
But it hasn't been weeks at a time. He's done it for a few months. What holds him back the most is not playing. And the not playing has more to do with who the other goalie has been.
It's kind of a weird dichotomy. We know that Koskinen is not good if he has played too much and Georgiev has been not good when not played enough. What we don't know is how they would fair if they were given the opposite situation since neither has been in it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
However it shakes out...I have little doubt the Oilers will give up too much for a non-Cup goalie.

If Fleury is truly off the table, then they should call Anaheim about Gibson. If that doesn't work then call someone else who has a top goalie, but enough of this "duct-taping" their goalie situation where it's still not fixed.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
However it shakes out...I have little doubt the Oilers will give up too much for a non-Cup goalie.

If Fleury is truly off the table, then they should call Anaheim about Gibson. If that doesn't work then call someone else who has a top goalie, but enough of this "duct-taping" their goalie situation where it's still not fixed.
The problem with that is that most teams believe they can re tool and turn into a playoff team in one summer.

The best option for someone like you say is probably Reimer. But with him, there is the uncertainty of his injury

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Oilers are in no position to take on any extra cap hits, whether this year or next. I think Nemeth is a cap dump in the scenario and is a non starter for Edmonton because of their extremely tight cap constraints.
I'd do it.

The Oilers need a veteran shutdown D. This trade addresses two problems in one deal. The extra year isn't even that much of a problem. The third year can easily be bought out if Nemeth is immovable by that point.

Something like Smith, Turris and a mid-round pick for Georgiev and Nemeth? Sign me up.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone really believe Georgiev is a potential #1 still though? Like, a sure-fire, gonna give him an offer sheet because I know this kid is our goalie of the future type potential? I don't think so. He's firmly planted in the "we're desperate and maybe he will be able to help" territory. Nearly a reclamation project. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers don't even qualify him.

Completely agree.

But it's not like the acquisition cost us going to be massive -- it's a 2nd round pick. Give him a 2-year deal and see what he can do.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'd be happy with Koskinen + 3rd + 2023 3rd

Taking back Smith instead is a non-starter. Not taking a contract for next season.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Doesn’t matter . No goalie that’s remotely available would hold a candle to Shesh. If he goes down, they are buggered regardless who their backup is
the devils should help their neighbours

gillies
cond. 6th round pick
for
future considerations

cond.: gillies plays at least 180 minutes in the po

:naughty:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Rangers wouldnt need any retention at all we have 30 million in deadline cap space. Taking on Koskinen w/o retention helps free up about 2.5 more space for Edmonton to make another deadline deal as well

Koskinen at full + 2nd (this year or next depending how the keith condition shakes out

for

Georgiev +

In addition, rangers could be a 3rd party in a deadline deal the oilers make to retain (expiring!) salary to further facilitate this deal

could take Turris to help Edmonton too and just put him in Hartford as a call up option

but taking Turris and Koskinen at full pop means A better pick or picks coming back for sure

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I am very corious to see a goaltending tandem of Stuart Skinner/Aleksandar Georgiev

Georgiev shouldn’t be very expansive to grab from NYR. Let’s say Koskinen at 50% + 3rd rounder/middle ranked winger prospect.

Then just waive Smith and send him away from the team on vacation.

Knowing Holland, he would never waive Smith and I think Georgiev is to young and unproven for his liking…..
Why would the Rangers trade their backup G for an ~80th OA pick in a year the rangers are a playoff team. That low a pick rarely becomes an NHL player when Geo is already an NHL player.

make that a 2nd rounder that lands around ~48th OA and the Rangers may listen. Otherwise, NY can look into this again during the off-season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Again, with this logic, every backup would perform better as a starter because "they need regular minutes" to get in a groove.

It doesn't work like that mate.
It's not logic because Geo actually has done it and fails to do it when he's not in regularly. It's what actually has taken place so far in his career. Whether that holds true if he gets traded is another story. We're just telling you how Georgiev has performed for us. He's been much better when used more frequently. He could still bomb in that role for Edmonton. Most non-elite goalies are a product of the system. If the team plays well the goalie typically looks good. If the team gives up a lot of high danger chances, you're pretty much screwed unless you got an elite goalie. It's unpredictable how a goalie will play on a new team, new system, and new goalie coach.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I would do it but most Oiler fans would probably say no . Give Geo 55 starts I think he would play good as he a better starter then a back up . Give Skinner 27 starts a year for a few years to get use to the NHL speed . I think it would be the making of a solid tandem .
He plays better with a starter's mentality 100%. Worth a shot for the Oilers at this point. I'd take a 3rd for him and of course we could hold 50.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Lmao never has

Surprisingly, Koskinen has stolen a few games for the Oilers this year. He actually hasn't been too bad over this latest stretch of games, either. Fans are a fickle bunch, and after standing on his head enough times they forget Koskinen's weak glove side and mistakes made with the puck.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Forfeiting the remaining games.

But seriously, Shesterkin and Koskinen have already have worked together in the KHL. If part of the issue is workload for Koskinen, he'd not really have to worry about it in NY. I wonder if he'd be willing to re-sign on the cheap end to be with a contending team and working with someone that he has in the past.

Doesn’t matter . No goalie that’s remotely available would hold a candle to Shesh. If he goes down, they are buggered regardless who their backup is

The plan is pack it up. No backup goalie is going to advance a last place corsi team.

Not sure it would matter. Rangers are a pretty bad team without Shesterkin.

The plan would be the Rangers lose. Not gonna matter at that point.

So what I'm hearing is that anyone who faces the Rangers in the playoffs just has to get Shesterkin off his game, or run him real good, and it's an easy victory.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So what I'm hearing is that anyone who faces the Rangers in the playoffs just has to get Shesterkin off his game, or run him real good, and it's an easy victory.
Yes, and this is coming from a Rangers fan. It won't even be off his game, he'll just be so tired from carrying the Rangers all season.
But let's be reality here, I don't think any team is winning anything in the playoffs without their number 1 playing at a high level. Few teams have backups capable for that. Florida. I'm struggling to think of anyone else here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Pretty much. Rangers get out played most of the time. Igor is holding down the backend by having a really good saves above expected. Rangers are last in Corsi - or at least were last as of last week. I honestly can't see this team going anywhere with any backup or 1b stepping in. This team without elite goaltending does not have the same winning record.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I've said this many times - a hot goaltender can cover up any number of flaws in your line up. This happened earlier in the season in Edmonton. Hot goaltending allowed the team to leap out in front of the whole league and when that as found to unsustainable (of course, Smith and Koskinen? c'mon) the real holes in the Oilers line up became apparently. Then they came crashing to earth. We all knew it would happen. Tippett knew it. And Holland probably did too.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Pretty much - but you could say that about most teams if they lose their starter. It's just that Shesterkin is so much better than any other starter that the difference is a lot bigger.

The Rangers are a very good team with him. If he's out for any length of time though I don't think anyone would be afraid to play them - whether the backup is Georgiev or Koskinen doesn't really matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad