Proposal: Aleksandar Georgiev to Oilers

What do you think?

• Total voters

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
I am very corious to see a goaltending tandem of Stuart Skinner/Aleksandar Georgiev

Georgiev shouldn’t be very expansive to grab from NYR. Let’s say Koskinen at 50% + 3rd rounder/middle ranked winger prospect.

Then just waive Smith and send him away from the team on vacation.

Knowing Holland, he would never waive Smith and I think Georgiev is to young and unproven for his liking…..

Last edited:
Reactions: cwgatti

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am very corious to see a goaltending tandem of Stuart Skinner/Mikko Koskinen.

Georgiev shouldn’t be very expansive to grab from NYR. Let’s say Koskinen at 50% + 3rd rounder/middle ranked winger prospect.

Then just waive Smith and send him away from the team on vacation.

Knowing Holland, he would never waive Smith and I think Georgiev is to young and unproven for his liking…..

I would do it but most Oiler fans would probably say no . Give Geo 55 starts I think he would play good as he a better starter then a back up . Give Skinner 27 starts a year for a few years to get use to the NHL speed . I think it would be the making of a solid tandem .

Reactions: M Ace and TFHockey

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Rangers wouldnt need any retention at all we have 30 million in deadline cap space. Taking on Koskinen w/o retention helps free up about 2.5 more space for Edmonton to make another deadline deal as well

Koskinen at full + 2nd (this year or next depending how the keith condition shakes out

for

Georgiev +

In addition, rangers could be a 3rd party in a deadline deal the oilers make to retain (expiring!) salary to further facilitate this deal

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Retention on Koskinen isn't needed. Rangers have a ton of cap space.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At this point, there's only 4ish games left where Georgiev would get in net with NYR, unless Igor is out with an injury/illness, and if that's the case it really doesn't make much difference since I don't see any backup goalie carrying the team like Igor. If Oilers wanted Georgiev bad enough, I think they could get him for pretty cheap.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Rangers wouldnt need any retention at all we have 30 million in deadline cap space. Taking on Koskinen w/o retention helps free up about 2.5 more space for Edmonton to make another deadline deal as well

Koskinen at full + 2nd (this year or next depending how the keith condition shakes out

for

Georgiev +

In addition, rangers could be a 3rd party in a deadline deal the oilers make to retain (expiring!) salary to further facilitate this deal
This seems very fair.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So what's NYR's plan if Shesterkin gets hurt in the playoffs? Koskinen?

Forfeiting the remaining games.

But seriously, Shesterkin and Koskinen have already have worked together in the KHL. If part of the issue is workload for Koskinen, he'd not really have to worry about it in NY. I wonder if he'd be willing to re-sign on the cheap end to be with a contending team and working with someone that he has in the past.

Reactions: TGWL

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
A 2nd rounder + Koskinen would be fair.

No need for retention.

...and the talk about if Shesterkin gets injured, no back up is going to have what it takes to replace him. We are screwed.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Not a bad deal for the Oilers, I wouldn't take it as the Rangers, but I don't think the Oilers should be bargain shopping. As I've said in the relevant threads, Oilers need to pony up enough to shake loose a legit starter, not a maybe, change of scenery, has been, perhaps with more ice time, types. A real starter worthy of sharing the ice with McDavid and Draisaitl.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Georgiev needs to start consistently. Hes a decent starter.

Not great, but decent.

I don't understand this logic NYR fans say in litterally every Geo to EDM proposal the past several weeks. Why give more icetime to someone who isn't performing in limited icetime? With this logic of "he just needs to start consistently", every backup in the league should be a starter. It's the lack of consistent icetime and getting in a groove thats holding them back.

If he was as good/decent as he's being made out to be, he would be a 1B for the NYR and he wouldn't be "cheap" to acquire as so many keep saying he would be.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So what's NYR's plan if Shesterkin gets hurt in the playoffs? Koskinen?
why not? Koskinen is 7-0-2 in last 9 games played and is a clear upgrade over the current version of Georgiev.

swap the cap dump to Kassian or Barrie instead of Koskinen and its a yes from EDM. Oilers go Koskinen\Georgiev this season and then Georgiev\Skinner afterwards

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No dice. We don't want that contract next year.

I get that. Smith is only $2 Million a year, which is decent back up money. Still, his performance this year is a far cry from last season so I understand the hesitancy.

A 2nd + Smith could a be a palatable deal for the Oilers. Maybe not for the Rangers. There is the added importance that Edmonton actually needs a legit starter and shouldn't be gambling on a "maybe" at this point.

However on the other side of the argument Oiler fans is the fact that something has to be done before the trade deadline about goaltending. This kind of trade is a gamble but maybe one worth taking. It also leaves our 1st, Bourgault, and the Oilers other top assets in place for other deals.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
At the absolute, worst-case minimum, Georgiev will yield the Rangers a 2nd in the offseason (assuming he signs an offer sheet).

If I'm the Rangers, any deal made today needs to be in the context of that.

Personally, I don't see why the Rangers would do Georgiev + a 2nd for Koskinen. It seems to be an immediate downgrade, with the only upside being that "maybe Koski wants to resign to be the backup".

To me, Georgiev needs to be used to acquire somebody that can help the Rangers up front. Maybe they like Foegele, or Yamamoto, or McLeod, or Benson, or Puljujarvi... I'm not pretending to know what the "right" target is, but seems to me that if the Rangers are going to subtract in goal, it's to get better up front.

Something along the lines of one of those guys, plus Koskinen, for Georgiev and a lesser Ranger forward.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't understand this logic NYR fans say in litterally every Geo to EDM proposal the past several weeks. Why give more icetime to someone who isn't performing in limited icetime? With this logic of "he just needs to start consistently", every backup in the league should be a starter. It's the lack of consistent icetime and getting in a groove thats holding them back.

If he was as good/decent as he's being made out to be, he would be a 1B for the NYR and he wouldn't be "cheap" to acquire as so many keep saying he would be.

Hes better when he has a consistent rhythm to his game schedule.

When you have a goalie like Shesterkin, there is no 1B.

Igor will get 60+ starts (less this year due to injury)

Georgiev needs more than 15+ starts per year

I am not a believer in platooning the goalie position.

Igor is young and while I would never give him 70 starts, I am more than comfortable with 60-65+ per year.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
At the absolute, worst-case minimum, Georgiev will yield the Rangers a 2nd in the offseason (assuming he signs an offer sheet).

If I'm the Rangers, any deal made today needs to be in the context of that.

Personally, I don't see why the Rangers would do Georgiev + a 2nd for Koskinen. It seems to be an immediate downgrade, with the only upside being that "maybe Koski wants to resign to be the backup".

To me, Georgiev needs to be used to acquire somebody that can help the Rangers up front. Maybe they like Foegele, or Yamamoto, or McLeod, or Benson, or Puljujarvi... I'm not pretending to know what the "right" target is, but seems to me that if the Rangers are going to subtract in goal, it's to get better up front.

Something along the lines of one of those guys, plus Koskinen, for Georgiev and a lesser Ranger forward.

Koskinen has played better than Georgiev this season. I think that's why most Oiler fans don't see a point in this trade. He hasn't been amazing, but Mike Smith is the problem on Edmonton, not Koskinen. There's been several recent proposals of Georgiev to Edmonton, and I don't see how it makes them any better. If the Oilers want to go with a young unproven goaltender, they can just call up Stuart Skinner who in limited game action (13 games) has better numbers than both.

Reactions: TFHockey

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I truly think this would be a great move for the oilers. He’s a perfect buy low candidate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad