Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2015-16 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And Joe Hulbig!!! Don't forget Hulbig!!! #13 overall Joe Hulbig! Sather liked Hulbig in the first round over Gonchar, Jason Smith and Martin Straka....seems reasonable.

And Steve Kelly! A Sather #6 overall special! One pick before Shane Doan by the way...at least his picks were good filler for Albany.

I can't decide which was a worse pick Kelly or Jessimen. Or Hulbig, or Bonsignore, or....oh goodness there are so many.

Hulbig did play more NHL games than Jessiman, so there is that.

At that point you have to wonder if it's terrible drafting or terrible development. If you're drafting that high a player has to have a good amount of skill to his game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've always heard so many Rangers fans questioning why we wasted first round draft picks on JF Damphousse and Ari Ahonen.

Even to this day still.

Al Montoya at #6 overall says hello.

Zajac and Schneider might be the best players taken in that first round after Blake Wheeler at #5th overall. Radulov is better than Zajac, but he probably still isn't in the league, regardless of who drafted him. So I'm not including him.

Stafford is the only debatable one taken after #5 overall. Dubnyk is an alright goaltender.

Chipchura, Korpikoski are middling fringe players now. Korpikoski was another Rangers 1st round bust from that draft. Ladislav Smid is a sub par defenseman that was taken 9th overall that year in 2004.

Mike Green was taken at #29, so he's been a better player than Zajac, just for his offense. Montoya is a journeyman backup goaltender and not ''Better than Brodeur and the best American born goalie of all time'' like Rangers fans said he would be.

Almost Everyone in round one else after #5 has either washed out of the league or never made it. Jessiman, Montoya, Korpikoski. 3 monumental first round busts for the Rangers in the 03 and 04 drafts.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dear god :laugh:

AHL ‏@TheAHL 50s50 seconds ago
AHL Retweeted Albany Devils
Mike Sislo is now alone atop the #AHL leaderboard with 24 goals this season #ALBvsUTI

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
Going from highlights alone, it seems as if Kujawinski is progressing well in his first professional season...even if his numbers don't quite reflect that. It just appears he's more involved in the play, particularly the power play.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lorito scores the GWG in OT, 3-2 over Utica by splitting the defense and going top shelf.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/utica-comets-vs-albany-devils/14286

That was a great goal by Lorito.

I really wonder if he will be able to translate some of his skill to the NHL level. I want to see him get an NHL deal and an opportunity at some point next year. As much as he's producing, he's always been a really smart player -- has played all three forward positions.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Last edited:

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
dont know if hes injured or just a healthy scratch but our d have been playing solid so wouldnt surprise me if hes odd man out

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Is Mozik injured?

He has an upper body injury and will also miss tomorrow's game according to the Albany site. Pietila has also picked up a (lower body) injury. Burlon follows O'Neill and Tropp in succumbing to the sickness bug.

That brings Faust and Johnson back in for the St. John's game.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
And Joe Hulbig!!! Don't forget Hulbig!!! #13 overall Joe Hulbig! Sather liked Hulbig in the first round over Gonchar, Jason Smith and Martin Straka....seems reasonable.

And Steve Kelly! A Sather #6 overall special! One pick before Shane Doan by the way...at least his picks were good filler for Albany.

I can't decide which was a worse pick Kelly or Jessimen. Or Hulbig, or Bonsignore, or....oh goodness there are so many.

Hulbig did play more NHL games than Jessiman, so there is that.

Hulbig played a couple of seasons for us in Albany as one of those veteran 20 goal AHLers we had when the playoffs were out of reach; then he had been a Providence Friar.

Not quite the fortune Steve Kelly found in picking up a Stanley Cup though. :handclap:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Albany wins again, 4-3

6 game win streak for Albany.

Goal and 2 assists for Sislo. Has scored a goal in 8 straight games.

Goal and assist for Thompson, goal for Mckelvie, goal McPherson.

2 assists Lorito. 1 assist for Tropp and O'Neil.

Novak and Pelley led squad with 3 sog's apiece.

Quiet games for Black and Kujo. 1 sog(kujo) between them and a -1(Black).

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
1998-99 Albany River Rats AHL Empire 80 46 26 6 2 100 point season

The 46-goal Jeff Williams season. John Madden with 98 points. First year I went to Rats games. A lot of fun.

Lost in the playoffs in double OT to Hamilton unfortunately.

I'll definitely have to make it home for some playoff games this year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The 46-goal Jeff Williams season. John Madden with 98 points. First year I went to Rats games. A lot of fun.

Lost in the playoffs in double OT to Hamilton unfortunately.

I'll definitely have to make it home for some playoff games this year.
It's proof that there is more talent in Albany this year than there has been in a very long time. Boucher is still 3rd in scoring for Albany with only 32 games played and Blandisi is still 6th with only 24 games played. Lorito and Sislo have been top 2 all year. In my opinion Lorito has been the driving force all season.

Next year they'll be even better with guys like Kujawinski, Pietila, Coleman all getting their feet wet with Pro experience and taking on more significant roles next year. They'll probably get Quenneville next year also.

My wish is Black staying healthy. So far in 2 seasons only 77 games. I think that has been devastating for his development. But 11 goals and 8 assist 19 points with 4 or 5 extended times out of the lineup mostly in a checking role is not that horrible. This is practically still his rookie season.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's proof that there is more talent in Albany this year than there has been in a very long time. Boucher is still 3rd in scoring for Albany with only 32 games played and Blandisi is still 6th with only 24 games played. Lorito and Sislo have been top 2 all year. In my opinion Lorito has been the driving force all season.

Next year they'll be even better with guys like Kujawinski, Pietila, Coleman all getting their feet wet with Pro experience and taking on more significant roles next year. They'll probably get Quenneville next year also.

My wish is Black staying healthy. So far in 2 seasons only 77 games. I think that has been devastating for his development. But 11 goals and 8 assist 19 points with 4 or 5 extended times out of the lineup mostly in a checking role is not that horrible. This is practically still his rookie season.

There's almost no way they are better next year. Blandisi and Boucher are almost certainly not going to be there, O'Neill will definitely leave, Tropp probably won't be there, Sislo could leave UFA, and they've been shooting lucky all year. That's a lot of talent to re-discover.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There's almost no way they are better next year. Blandisi and Boucher are almost certainly not going to be there, O'Neill will definitely leave, Tropp probably won't be there, Sislo could leave UFA, and they've been shooting lucky all year. That's a lot of talent to re-discover.

No doubt Blandisi and Boucher will be a big loss...But they're already gone..and Tropp, Thompson and O'Brien are filling the gap. All pretty much dime a dozen career minior leaguers that you pick up and lose every season.

The Defense group is solid and may be getting Santini next year

The goaltending will be better by getting rid of Danis...

Scott Wedgewood - 0.932 12 games
Ken Appleby - 0.923 3 games
Yann Danis - .909 37 games

Coleman will return to the lineup and replace Blandisi -- He will do that rather easily in my opinion.

Quennville most likely will be in the lineup as well...

Kujawinski will get an expanded role. He has already since the middle of the season and the production has increased...before that he was often a healthy scratch, fully expect a step forward in his development next year.

We'll see, but I think all that can be better than this year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No doubt Blandisi and Boucher will be a big loss...But they're already gone..and Tropp, Thompson and O'Brien are filling the gap. All pretty much dime a dozen career minior leaguers that you pick up and lose every season.

They're not filling the gap. The A-Devils offense has gotten worse since they left. I couldn't help but notice that you left out Sislo who is leading the AHL in goals. The Devils aren't likely to find a replacement for him.

The Defense group is solid and may be getting Santini next year

Helgeson probably won't be back. One of Kelly, Burlon, or Gragnani is almost certain to leave, and probably two of them. I do think the defense group is excellent, just not sure how long it stays together.

The goaltending will be better by getting rid of Danis...

Scott Wedgewood - 0.932 12 games
Ken Appleby - 0.923 3 games
Yann Danis - .909 37 games

Ridiculous. A great 3 game sample from Appelby. A great 12 games from Scott Wedgewood. The goaltending is not likely to be better. Got any one game samples you want to cite? Rich Shulmistra did pretty well.

Coleman will return to the lineup and replace Blandisi -- He will do that rather easily in my opinion.

Blandisi put up 21 points in 24 games. Coleman will not likely replace that kind of productivity.

Quennville most likely will be in the lineup as well...

He'll be a 2nd/3rd line AHLer without a huge jump in his game.

Kujawinski will get an expanded role. He has already since the middle of the season and the production has increased...before that he was often a healthy scratch, fully expect a step forward in his development next year.

This is a 3rd line player.

In short, there's lots of uncertainty with minor league teams every year since you never know who's going to go up to the big club and who will leave in free agency. Still, Sislo and Boucher were both on pace for 40+ goal seasons in the AHL; if both of those guys leave, it's near impossible to replace that kind of goal scoring.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What makes you think Sislo's gone? He's 28 and basically a AAAA player at this point, I doubt he gets an NHL job so why uproot your family to go play somewhere else in the minors if you don't have to?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What makes you think Sislo's gone? He's 28 and basically a AAAA player at this point, I doubt he gets an NHL job so why uproot your family to go play somewhere else in the minors if you don't have to?

The Devils have stuck a bunch of garbage above him on the depth chart even though their right wings are terrible. I don't think it's a sure thing that he's gone - far from it -- but I could very well see him leaving for a better chance elsewhere. He's only making $125,000 in the minors - that should at least double, and I'm not sure the Devils are willing to pay that for a guy they clearly don't think has any role in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad