Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2015-16 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

@ DD, Trenton is close enough to Newark and really doesn't cannibalize the fanbase. AHL hockey would be interesting there, especially when the Flyers play. What's interesting is the Flyers on Trenton for Allentown

However, there are cities DYING for an AHL affliate after losing them to the west coast.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
@ DD, Trenton is close enough to Newark and really doesn't cannibalize the fanbase. AHL hockey would be interesting there, especially when the Flyers play. What's interesting is the Flyers on Trenton for Allentown

However, there are cities DYING for an AHL affliate after losing them to the west coast.

It's too bad Albany really hasn't worked out because there are many long time diehard NJ Devils fans in the Albany area who support the AHL team.
However, it's a lousy minor league city when it comes to attendance.

I would prefer Trenton for mainly selfish reasons since I could go see a lot of games if I choose to due to the close proximity.

I think Shero will start giving our AHL franchise better resources going forward.
Real tangible stuff compared to Jeff's "Paint the town Red" slogan and banner for the former ECHL Trenton Devils.

If the AHL team moves to Trenton I think Shero will market them and engage in much better fan relations similar to what they do up in Wilkes Barre.

The first order of biz should be to change the team name back to the Titans, if they legally can.
If not, do a fan contest for a new name, our AHL squad does not and should not have to be Devils.
Unfortunately it alienates quite a few hockey fans south and west of Trenton and Shero should want decent sized crowds at the AHL games.
Lou and our prior owners really could care less about attendance at AHL games and it's not a great atmosphere for our future stars to play in.

A Trenton vs Allentown rivalry can be a good one.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I'd move the team to Atlantic City, Toms River or Trenton myself, as I've mentioned previously. Expand the fanbase. I listed Trenton last because of the poor experience the Trenton Devils had, which led to a brief return of the Trenton Titans, Flyers affiliation and all. But now Trenton is hockeyless once again.

I wonder how long the other Lamoriello will last as GM (of Albany) now that his father isn't with the organization anymore.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Can we get English Devils massive depth chart in here somehow.

It was an extremely thorough job, would probably be pretty useful somewhere on the first page.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
They don't have a TV deal. AFAIK the only legal way to watch is using AHL Live, which is a subscription-based service.

and, in its current state, absolutely not worth the price, IMO. Hundreds of dollars is no price for something that looks like any stream you'd find illegally.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I'd move the team to Atlantic City, Toms River or Trenton myself, as I've mentioned previously. Expand the fanbase. I listed Trenton last because of the poor experience the Trenton Devils had, which led to a brief return of the Trenton Titans, Flyers affiliation and all. But now Trenton is hockeyless once again.

I wonder how long the other Lamoriello will last as GM (of Albany) now that his father isn't with the organization anymore.

I'd move the team to Newark. Why not?

And, by the way, how is it that on August 21st the AHL doesn't have its schedule done for this season?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd move the team to Newark. Why not?

And, by the way, how is it that on August 21st the AHL doesn't have its schedule done for this season?

Just happened to see this looking for the AHL schedule a couple days ago:

http://theahl.com/making-of-the-ahl-schedule-is-a-critical-task-p199045

The last pieces of the puzzle cannot be put in place until the National Basketball Association finalizes its own schedule. That’s because three AHL teams -- the Milwaukee Admirals, the San Antonio Rampage and the Lake Erie Monsters -- share arenas with NBA teams that generally receive priority on dates in their buildings. With those three teams all in the AHL's Western Conference, most of the Eastern schedule can be penciled in earlier, but the NBA's schedule release signals the beginning of the end of the process.

And the NBA schedule was only released a week and a half ago.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Wow, you guys are bumming me out. I'm all hyped for the A Devils season with the new management. I just got a new road jersey today. Probably going to buy a ticket package.

If it happens, this would be the second time an AHL team moves right after I started following it. Calgary broke my heart last year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wow, you guys are bumming me out. I'm all hyped for the A Devils season with the new management. I just got a new road jersey today. Probably going to buy a ticket package.

If it happens, this would be the second time an AHL team moves right after I started following it. Calgary broke my heart last year.

While unfortunately the Albany Devils may not stay in Albany - it's a one-year lease for a reason - I'd be shocked if they moved anywhere close to where the New Jersey Devils play. So that's at least some consolation for you, that those locations are probably out of the question, making it more likely they'd stay where they are.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
While unfortunately the Albany Devils may not stay in Albany - it's a one-year lease for a reason - I'd be shocked if they moved anywhere close to where the New Jersey Devils play. So that's at least some consolation for you, that those locations are probably out of the question, making it more likely they'd stay where they are.

They seem to be kicking the promotion and marketing up a notch. I've lived in Albany for six years and until recently you never heard a peep out of them. I'm not the only one who's optimistic about the new management. There was also the marketing brainstorming meeting with local businesses. I can only hope they don't leave, because I don't want to have to follow the Comets or Crunch :D

I was thinking, what other options do they have? The thing about the NHL Devils is they don't have much of a following outside of NJ and southern/central NY state. Anywhere in New England is Bruins territory and anywhere in Pennsylvania probably won't be too receptive. In terms of proximity to Newark and quality of the facility, Albany is pretty nice. I go to games and see plenty of NJ fans. A healthy front office and a promising team could turn things around at the gate. Outside of moving them to the Rock, what could serve their purposes better?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They seem to be kicking the promotion and marketing up a notch. I've lived in Albany for six years and until recently you never heard a peep out of them. I'm not the only one who's optimistic about the new management. There was also the marketing brainstorming meeting with local businesses. I can only hope they don't leave, because I don't want to have to follow the Comets or Crunch :D

I was thinking, what other options do they have? The thing about the NHL Devils is they don't have much of a following outside of NJ and southern/central NY state. Anywhere in New England is Bruins territory and anywhere in Pennsylvania probably won't be too receptive. In terms of proximity to Newark and quality of the facility, Albany is pretty nice. I go to games and see plenty of NJ fans. A healthy front office and a promising team could turn things around at the gate. Outside of moving them to the Rock, what could serve their purposes better?

Go to games in Albany and have fun.
Try to bring others to games too to expose them to the A-Devs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Theres nothing really. Until an arena is built in state suitable for minor hockey, we have nothing. I would love to see the Devils try to get an arena in the Woodbridge or Sayreville or even New Brunswick area but thats a longshot. Their best option may be to piggyback on a Rutgers D1 hockey move if it ever happens.

The biggest problem is constantly branding the minor league teams as the Devils when they are in primarily enemy territory.

GhostofKenKlee

There are alot of cities all over New England looking for AHL affliates with the migration of teams to the west.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
There are alot of cities all over New England looking for AHL affliates with the migration of teams to the west.

Yeah, but if they were to leave Albany because attendance wasn't high enough and then go into New England or PA keeping the Devils moniker as they always do, I gotta call shenanigans.

I'm biased, but Albany makes sense more than the alternatives. Idk if they're a money pit if the TUC averages 3400, but it's not like poor AHL attendance has bothered New Jersey for the past 15 years. It seems as if the local politicians and businesses want them to stay. We'll have to wait and see. It's a shame Lou and Co did so much harm to the market over the years.

GhostofKenKlee

Yeah, but if they were to leave Albany because attendance wasn't high enough and then go into New England or PA keeping the Devils moniker as they always do, I gotta call shenanigans.

I'm biased, but Albany makes sense more than the alternatives. Idk if they're a money pit if the TUC averages 3400, but it's not like poor AHL attendance has bothered New Jersey for the past 15 years. It seems as if the local politicians and businesses want them to stay. We'll have to wait and see. It's a shame Lou and Co did so much harm to the market over the years.

They did leave for Lowell and the Canes replaced them. How did the Canes do during their time in Albany?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They did leave for Lowell and the Canes replaced them. How did the Canes do during their time in Albany?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same as far as attendance goes.

I think Albany can work if the Devils go all in with marketing them and also putting a competitive playoff team on the ice up there.

But at the end of the day the sole purpose of AHL squads is player development to help their NHL team.

***Forget about moving NE as Shero has said he wants the AHL franchise to be closer to NJ.
Whether that means Albany long term remains to be seen.

GhostofKenKlee

They did leave for Lowell and the Canes replaced them. How did the Canes do during their time in Albany?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same as far as attendance goes.

I think Albany can work if the Devils go all in with marketing them and also putting a competitive playoff team on the ice up there.

But at the end of the day the sole purpose of AHL squads is player development to help their NHL team.

That was Lou's take on it, I don't know how the Baby Penguins were run in terms of fan relations. In their golden age in the 90's I would have to look up how good they did in terms of attendance.

There is going to be alot of lobbying from the cities that lost affliates in Massachussetts and NH. There was an article in the NYtimes a few months back about how these cities are clamouring for a replacement as the fanbases in these cities are really upset about losing the aHL in their town.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015

GhostofKenKlee

But of all the teams that left for CA, only Worcester has an open building. Adirondack, Manchester, and Norfolk will have the ECHL next year and OKC is too far away. I don't think the Devils would have the power to force the ECHL out. Worcester is a Bruins affiliate or bust. It could be another Lowell waiting to happen.

I don't know how long the ECHL thing is for but you can bet the preference is for AHL hockey.

ECHL is a tough sell, even in Trenton with the Titans and it was a model franchise early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad