Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL talk (2014-15 season) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought they re-signed Pelley. As a matter of fact i thought he was their Captain last season and expected to do the same this year?

They will have a nice group of young forwards coming in that will really help them for sure. I will be cool to see how those guys handle their time in the AHL.
They did re sign him? Yeah he was the captain last year, I knew that. Didn't know if he re signed or not though.
Cam would be great at the alumni job that Colin White and Grant Marshall are doing
Sure. Just keep him off the ice please. They could even hire him as a strength and conditioning coach or something.
But soon enough Shero is going to have his own Janssens and Pelleys and Sestitos that he is going to keep around. You can pretty much count on it.
I hope not. I don't think he's gonna be signing many guys like that this offseason.

The two Euro signings Mozik and Kalinin could wind up being Shere's answer to the Janssen/Pelley/Sestito/Fraser types, if they don't earn full time NHL positions in the next two years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But soon enough Shero is going to have his own Janssens and Pelleys and Sestitos that he is going to keep around. You can pretty much count on it.

They did re sign him? Yeah he was the captain last year, I knew that. Didn't know if he re signed or not though.

Sure. Just keep him off the ice please. They could even hire him as a strength and conditioning coach or something.

I hope not. I don't think he's gonna be signing many guys like that this offseason.

The two Euro signings Mozik and Kalinin could wind up being Shere's answer to the Janssen/Pelley/Sestito/Fraser types, if they don't earn full time NHL positions in the next two years.

I was thinking more guys like Jim O'Brien. But yeah it's foolish to think every GM and organization doesn't have their pets...the key is not giving these guys 100 NHL games without a goal like Sestito got :P

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was thinking more guys like Jim O'Brien. But yeah it's foolish to think every GM and organization doesn't have their pets...the key is not giving these guys 100 NHL games without a goal like Sestito got :P

Yup add Jim O'Brien to that list too.

I think it's possible that they keep him around, then he takes Gionta's spot in 16-17. As long as they think he's good enough.

He'll have to go through waivers if he's sent to Albany before the season, does anyone really think someone is actually gonna claim him though? Maybe if a team goes on a waiver wire feast like the Islanders did a few seasons ago.

And even then, that superstar sniper Bobby Butler even made it through waivers after camp.

It took a 2 point game and about 15 0 point games, just for Nashville to claim him. And I'm pretty sure they went heavy on the waiver wire that year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
O'Brien has the potential to be a better 4C then Gio ever was though. Obviously there will be favorites, but it still seems like the goal is to get younger and guys who can at least score or have the potential to.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
O'Brien has the potential to be a better 4C then Gio ever was though. Obviously there will be favorites, but it still seems like the goal is to get younger and guys who can at least score or have the potential to.

I don't see the new regime even using Gionta as a center. He was mostly used as a left wing in Albany.

Then the Dumbeor/Oates combo started using him as a center when he was called up to the NHL, since Carter was a lefty, Gio was a righty, and Bernier was a righty. And since they were so hellbent on guys playing on their on side, Gio was moved to center, and Carter on left wing and Bernier on right wing.

God forbid we played Carter at center, Gio on the left wing as a right handed shot, and Bernier stayed on the right wing anyway. It worked for a while, Gio just shouldn't have played center for as long as he did. I'm pretty sure when Gio played wing last year, it was on right wing. I could be wrong, I don't think he played left wing though. The only guys Oates or DeBoer would play on their off wing were Zubrus and Jagr. DeBoer even moved Damien Big Nose to his shooting side wing, which could have played a factor in why he became so terrible with us. Not that he was really that good anyway though.

And Cam would be good as a studio analyst. I think we should hire him for Deb's role. I love Cam's personality, he's a great interview and would be awesome on TV. I just HATE him when he's on the ice in a game. I think we should really hire him or Gomer for the TV spot. Gomer auditioned for the role last year, then decided to keep playing and it went to Johnny Mac instead. I think one of them should replace Deb, or just use all 3 of them.

Then the Maven can come on and give us his BS Dwayne style rumors once a week still, or however often it was that he came on the last few years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't see the new regime even using Gionta as a center. He was mostly used as a left wing in Albany.

Then the Dumbeor/Oates combo started using him as a center when he was called up to the NHL, since Carter was a lefty, Gio was a righty, and Bernier was a righty. And since they were so hellbent on guys playing on their on side, Gio was moved to center, and Carter on left wing and Bernier on right wing.

God forbid we played Carter at center, Gio on the left wing as a right handed shot, and Bernier stayed on the right wing anyway. It worked for a while, Gio just shouldn't have played center for as long as he did. I'm pretty sure when Gio played wing last year, it was on right wing. I could be wrong, I don't think he played left wing though. The only guys Oates or DeBoer would play on their off wing were Zubrus and Jagr. DeBoer even moved Damien Big Nose to his shooting side wing, which could have played a factor in why he became so terrible with us. Not that he was really that good anyway though.

And Cam would be good as a studio analyst. I think we should hire him for Deb's role. I love Cam's personality, he's a great interview and would be awesome on TV. I just HATE him when he's on the ice in a game. I think we should really hire him or Gomer for the TV spot. Gomer auditioned for the role last year, then decided to keep playing and it went to Johnny Mac instead. I think one of them should replace Deb, or just use all 3 of them.

Then the Maven can come on and give us his BS Dwayne style rumors once a week still, or however often it was that he came on the last few years.

I believe Gio did play RW last year and he looked better there too. Wing suits him better. He is a pretty piss poor center.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I believe Gio did play RW last year and he looked better there too. Wing suits him better. He is a pretty piss poor center.

I'm pretty sure his natural position is left wing and that's what he played in college and Albany/Lowell all those years.

I figured we were playing him on the right wing because he's a right handed shot. As much as Oates and DeBoer love him, I still didn't think they allow him to play left wing over their dead bodies.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
TG stating (tweeting) that Appleby, Goulet and Sweeney have been signed to Amateur Tryouts and will be at training camp accordingly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
TG stating (tweeting) that Appleby, Goulet and Sweeney have been signed to Amateur Tryouts and will be at training camp accordingly.

Nice. They all were very impressive as was Kelleher and Fitzgerald.

But those two are going back to college so it makes sense they can't come to camp for tryouts.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA

I'm also excited to see what these 3 can do with this new opportunity. I also think Ray will bring in A Brodeur - seems like little risk especially w the need for goalies in the org.

Speaking of the organization, any whispers on if we'll be adding an ECHL team - whether it's soley ours or shared w another team. Just wondering.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm also excited to see what these 3 can do with this new opportunity. I also think Ray will bring in A Brodeur - seems like little risk especially w the need for goalies in the org.

Speaking of the organization, any whispers on if we'll be adding an ECHL team - whether it's soley ours or shared w another team. Just wondering.

Haven't heard anything anout a ECHL team.

I think Albany will move to jersey first before we add another farm team.

GhostofKenKlee

Haven't heard anything anout a ECHL team.

I think Albany will move to jersey first before we add another farm team.

What do you put the odds of them moving to AC or Trenton at?

If anything, they will move the team to a Boston outer suburb under the nose of the GM and AGM, with the exodus of those four teams and the need to fill the arenas now vacated.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What do you put the odds of them moving to AC or Trenton at?

If anything, they will move the team to a Boston outer suburb under the nose of the GM and AGM, with the exodus of those four teams and the need to fill the arenas now vacated.

If you're looking to cut travel costs you move Albany to Trenton.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Can Trenton support an AHL team?

I mean up where they are they have a full size arena that can hold 14k for hockey.

Trentons arena holds just over 7600 with hockey.

I don't think Albany eclipsed 7k mote than once last season.

Avg actual attendance is under 2k midweek and 4k on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad