GDT: Albany at the Rock (vs. Bridgeport) - 1/21 7:30

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Boo to TNR for having just about no concession stands open and nit a single Devils Den open.
No merchandise for sale.....

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Boo to TNR for having just about no concession stands open and nit a single Devils Den open.

The parking situation was slightly more annoying, my normal lot wasn't open late but fortunately I got here early and eventually found a $10 lot a couple blocks away.

I figured there wouldn't be crap in terms of concessions open (at least I got to try the actual club food lol) but figured at least a team store would be. Some of the sth reps are here.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
noticed that terry koharski is reffing this one……so i googled to see if he is related to don and well……it was an interesting google search ill say

….turns out theyre brothers though

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We also have a Keenan on our team I wonder if THAT'S a relation to anyone we are familiar with :laugh:

One of the Thomsons scored off a rebound from a Scarlett shot on a 2-on-1, Hegelson got an assist lol

And now another goal, Poulin (the Isle goalie) is letting up a lot of rebounds.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Why pay concession employees and store employees and spend the other money to keep them open for a couple hundred person event that no money is made off of because the event was on the house to STH? There is no money to be made on a night and event such as this. Doesn't matter how much money the owners have either, it's basic business operating procedure.

I think people will survive this one.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
noticed that terry koharski is reffing this one……so i googled to see if he is related to don and well……it was an interesting google search ill say

….turns out theyre brothers though

Yes....a very interesting google search. I was not expecting that. Lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Another bad rebound by Poulin off a Zajac shot, Matteau cashes in a layup on the PP, 3-1 now.

Scarlett with three assists, reminds me of when he was considered one of our better d-prospects lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
From 4-1 to 4-3 now. Boucher with a bad turnover on the PP leading to a breakaway goal

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The parking situation was slightly more annoying, my normal lot wasn't open late but fortunately I got here early and eventually found a $10 lot a couple blocks away.

I figured there wouldn't be crap in terms of concessions open (at least I got to try the actual club food lol) but figured at least a team store would be. Some of the sth reps are here.

I parked for $5 4 blocks away.

Clemmenson is brutal

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Why pay concession employees and store employees and spend the other money to keep them open for a couple hundred person event that no money is made off of because the event was on the house to STH? There is no money to be made on a night and event such as this. Doesn't matter how much money the owners have either, it's basic business operating procedure.

I think people will survive this one.

It wouldn't hurt nor cost them much to have a few more point of sale carts open. And one merchandise stand.

Ive already heard people complain about it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I parked for $5 4 blocks away.

Clemmenson is brutal

Eh goal one the guy was wide open and had all day to pick a spot. Goal three was the breakaway. I didn't get enough of a look at two to say either way. But it looks like we reassigned Pete to Albany, the offense shut down after the goalie change

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Scarlett is playing a good game.

Thompson has great hockey sense.

Stef looking good too.

Kelly is a turnover machine.

Like NJD, the PP does not set up one timers.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It wouldn't hurt nor cost them much to have a few more point of sale carts open. And one merchandise stand.

Ive already heard people complain about it.

They are hosting an event that they did not charge people to get in. They make zero money off of it. The costs of keeping the building open, the ice, electricity, energy, security, those sales reps you mentioned, and every other thing that goes into making an event possible. Essentially the cost of a single employee being there puts them in the red for tonight.

If people are seriously complaining about that, they need to find more important things to put their energy towards :laugh:

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Whitney with the Devils' THIRD PP goal of the game, 5-3 mid third

For the most part I agree with Wingman BUT it would have been nice to have a team store open considering there were plenty of Albany sth's here too and they might have wanted something.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It was similar attendance the other time they played at the Rock too a few years ago.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
I went to the game after work since I worked late and got a ticket at the box office.

I was a few rows from the ice and it was cool seeing Thompson, Scarlett, Clemmer (who was awful sadly), Brylin behind the bench and others.

What I found disturbing was seeing and hearing boys and girls no older than 10 say "you suck" after goals. It made me sick and I fully understand why the new owners want to do away with it. Those kids heard it once and were saying it for the rest of the game.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
They are hosting an event that they did not charge people to get in. They make zero money off of it. The costs of keeping the building open, the ice, electricity, energy, security, those sales reps you mentioned, and every other thing that goes into making an event possible. Essentially the cost of a single employee being there puts them in the red for tonight.

If people are seriously complaining about that, they need to find more important things to put their energy towards :laugh:

I would be shocked if there was no rent charged at all tonight. I wasn't there but agree that there shouldn't be an outcry over that kind of stuff. That said, I'm sure the Pru Center set itself up to lose little to no money tonight.

Plus most arenas contract out employees for merchandise sales and they probably didn't see the profit in bringing staff in.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm glad I attended tonight.
Got a first hand glimpse of some of our prospects and came away impressed with Scarlett and Matteau.

Thompson and Whitney are very good at the AHL level but I'm not sure either fits in the Devils long term plans.
Both are more skilled than most of our NHL forwards though.

Boucher had the bad turnover on the PP and did not have a strong game but I saw glimpses of a sniper as he finds the scoring areas in the slot with ease.

Ben Thomson is a big dude who could crack the NHL 4th line in a few seasons.

Ben Johnson has top end speed.

Good to see them win and hopefully they can go on a good run and make the playoffs.

Saw a lot of fans in Albany jerseys and some in Utica and Trenton too.

****even a Hoeffel jersey which made me think of Wayne Simmonds.

Since the only stands open were in the lounges, I tried the flatbread pizza and was glad I did.
Was very good even if pricey.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
Fans who showed up tonight were treated to an exciting game. Had its fair share of mistakes but good up and down action both ways. I enjoyed the salute at the end.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Just got back from the game and had a great time. A few general observations:

Surprising low turnout considering tickets for STH were FREE and it was nice to see quite a number of folks come down from Albany with River Rats merchandise on...die hards - and these folks paid $10 apiece to get in.

Couldn't really figure out the "System" - seemed a lot less "polished" and sort of like a pick up game with more hitting. Not too many bing bang plays, a good number of shots, decent hitting, and even a few guys just falling down on their own ala Clarkson.

Whitney plays the point on the power play. Although small, he gets his chances and can definitely score - the "big" question is how much of a hinderance would his size be in the NHL both offensively and defensively.

Reese Scarlett has a solid game, some nice passing skills, rushed the puck often. Not overly big and that was the knock on him when we drafted him in the 6th round. He;s gotten a little bigger since then and if he can add some strength along the way, he could play in the NHL someday - although not sure we'd have a spot for him.

Matteau looks to be getting 3rd line minutes but he has some nice hits and chipped in a trashy goal scored in close. i think he's on target for where he's projected and that is to be a 3rd liner who could add some grit, bang some bodies, and chip in a goal here or there. Would like to see him be a little more of an agitator. If anyone expects him to be more than a 3rd liner, you'll be disappointed, he doesn't seem to have the high end skill.

Boucher. Was a bit disappointed and can see why he hasn't earned a call up. The kid has a deadly shot and I just didn't see him finding the open ice to get that sniper shot away. His skating is OK but not really a speedster and I wonder if this is really what's holding him back. I'd love for him to pattern his game after Whitney but he doesn't have the wheels. He was playing with one of the Zajacs and Sislo so not really hugely offensive guys but he not helping his case much. He'll get his points/goals in the AHL but until he can find a way to work through traffic and find the open ice to get off his bread and butter shot, he's not going to make any impact at the NHL level. He has tools but has a lot of work to do.

Thompson. Was impressed. Ok, not hard when the kid gets two goals but he skated hard, jumped into seams, had good hockey sense and seemed to always be around the puck. I think the kid earns a 2 way contract next year based off a highly successful, All-Star season this year, and could see some call up time next year.

No Graham Black - was hoping to see him.

Brandon Burlon - has an odd, upright skating style. He played a decent game and jumped into seams and picked off a few passes for good offensive chances. Doesn't get a lot of points and not overly offensive, he plays a decent two way game. I wonder why he's never had a call up as I think he could be am injury fill in #6 d-man.

Helgeson - some good D work on a 5 on 3 against. Dececent game - can see why he's a "tweener". Defnite possiblility of being a capable bottom pairing dman at the NH level. Would like to see him play a little nastier - I've seen him do it in some of his college games in Minnesota so he is capable.

Overall, Albany has some players on the team for sure but also quite a few scrubs that clearly are purely AHL players and that is to be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad