OT: Alaskan Malamute Puppy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Yes I am trying the same things with Helena already. She has to do something to ever get a treat or a snack.

Also, the pulling while walking on leash is tough, but I do pull her back and force her to walk behind me. Although this is challenging, it’s doable. I also make her sit with entering/exiting the house and she’s not allowed to do neither until after me. For the most part she follows this, but if we were playing and she gets excited she will try to pull me through the door and forget what she’s already learned.

I’m not sure I get why huskies shoukd only eat once a day, too many snacks?

Beautiful boy.
Haha sounds like the dog should settle down by 2030 ;)

I used to have an 130lb American bulldog, we watched a lot of Ceasar Milan (the dog whisperer). He’s a bit “tough” on the dogs, more modern approaches tend to work more on creating/rewarding good behavior.

The one take-away though (reading your text) is to swiftly pull to the side and across instead of backwards when the dog pulls or wants to walk ahead to not create a pulling reflex. (just enough to re-direct - choker works best, because it needs to release as fast as it contracted, you don’t want to actually choke or hurt their neck). Then you settle, wait to have their full attention, they need to go into walking position and then you go on. Once they can follow with their tail “half-mast” (between the legs is just fear/submission and erect is looking to lead into trouble) you’re gold. Took us two years, it starts at the door and is well worth it. He would walk off-leash behind us when not in the city until I gave him his “release” word (“OK” in our case).

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Haha sounds like the dog should settle down by 2030 ;)

I used to have an 130lb American bulldog, we watched a lot of Ceasar Milan (the dog whisperer). He’s a bit “tough” on the dogs, more modern approaches tend to work more on creating/rewarding good behavior.

The one take-away though (reading your text) is to swiftly pull to the side and across instead of backwards when the dog pulls or wants to walk ahead to not create a pulling reflex. (just enough to re-direct - choker works best, because it needs to release as fast as it contracted, you don’t want to actually choke or hurt their neck). Then you settle, wait to have their full attention, they need to go into walking position and then you go on. Once they can follow with their tail “half-mast” (between the legs is just fear/submission and erect is looking to lead into trouble) you’re gold. Took us two years, it starts at the door and is well worth it. He would walk off-leash behind us when not in the city until I gave him his “release” word (“OK” in our case).
Indeed Milan uses/teaches a way that was popular in the 60s and 70s and that is not used by reputable dog trainers and behaviorists anymore and has not been for a long time.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Indeed Milan uses/teaches a way that was popular in the 60s and 70s and that is not used by reputable dog trainers and behaviorists anymore and has not been for a long time.
There are take-aways with modern training too; especially with dogs that are a bit anxious and having their safe space in a corner somewhere, especially for barkers when their owners go away (a cage is not for punishment but for safety and rest).

Turning clockwise to the side instead of pulling was also a life-changer, the dog was 10x stronger than either of us and squirrels made him lose it. (Like with a horse)

Trying to turn an aligator with the head of a bear and the arms of a tiger on it’s back, hand to the chest/throat while he settled down (“a la “Milan”) was not an option anyway lol so we stuck with the positive stuff and life hacks, like routine, exercise, rewarding work, etc.

Last edited:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Happy holidays guys and gals!

(sorry, the hat doesn't fit the occasion, but whatever, that's all I had close by)

20221223_194908.jpg

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
We had to have Xmas dinner early (yesterday) just the way it worked out this year with everyone’s different schedule.

Helena was more outgoing and relaxed than I ever could have imagined. She did exceptionally well. No accidents again. I took her for a couple of short drives as well and she handled those very well. We are experiencing heavy winds and I thought that might make her nervous, but she’s more curious than nervous. We continue to make strides and Helena is a champ making things easier for me.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Is that one of those places where the dogs were going to be put down/living in terrible places?

I saw a trucking school made a drive, but I can't remember if it was towards North Bay/Sudbury, or Thunder Bay.

Either way, congrats on the pup ! You would have taken a rip through the Ottawa Valley, basically this areas rednecks.

I've been living in the Valley for a year now, the nicest people you'll ever meet. I'll never go back to city living

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The little ball of fur loves driving shotgun in the 4Runner too.

Not sure how a guy like him ever gets his own show.

Attachments

• 06001F7C-ECA3-49F3-A142-4179549E25ED.jpeg
    06001F7C-ECA3-49F3-A142-4179549E25ED.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Runner77

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
To the OP - what a great-looking pup.

And everyone else - thanks for sharing info, pics, and the love for animals.

My pup is a mix - a beagle, Jack Russell, and lab, amongst others.

My Dad is cognitively impaired (possibly Alzheimer's), and he wanted a beagle pup. This guy was the closest I could find during COVID. He's a great pup but suffers from leash anxiety. Any tips are welcome.

He did not have a drop of beer. He just looks like he has.

And thanks again, everyone, for sharing your experiences! Great thread!

tag_bb.jpeg

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’ve had this beautiful girl 2.5 weeks and she has seems to have grown a ton. I have next vet appointment on the 11th. I’ll be curious to see the weigh-in. She was 15lbs the day I got her.

Attachments

• 275299D1-2CFD-4F04-B325-A7592966E9DB.jpeg
    275299D1-2CFD-4F04-B325-A7592966E9DB.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 6

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Potty training is going well. She plays me for a bit and once awhile there is a false alarm, but she gets right 98% of the time. Waiting to go potty.

Attachments

• 0259E45F-FCFA-4987-9775-B8DF442A2CFE.jpeg
    0259E45F-FCFA-4987-9775-B8DF442A2CFE.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Runner77 and bopeep

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
5E53349F-68E6-4A90-AE63-218D805211C9.jpeg

They grow up quick. She’s had a few scares along the way, but my favourite girl in the world is doing ok.

Attachments

• 8948920A-FFEB-4D60-B0A6-7FC5B273CB85.jpeg
    8948920A-FFEB-4D60-B0A6-7FC5B273CB85.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A8FCA825-056E-404D-AA2D-4006983CBB4B.jpeg
    A8FCA825-056E-404D-AA2D-4006983CBB4B.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3
  • D402B149-435F-45D4-8FDB-C75BAC053132.jpeg
    D402B149-435F-45D4-8FDB-C75BAC053132.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1FBD02F2-B559-46E6-B8F3-756BCC7A333C.jpeg
    1FBD02F2-B559-46E6-B8F3-756BCC7A333C.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 4
  • EEB7F6F0-D521-4954-B202-57127540C043.jpeg
    EEB7F6F0-D521-4954-B202-57127540C043.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 976FCB6B-8FEE-40E4-B615-E368322D9CC0.jpeg
    976FCB6B-8FEE-40E4-B615-E368322D9CC0.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 4

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
First pick is her after I took her home from the hospital. She was very ill, bad gas, blood in stool, black stool etc. Vet suspected blockage and possibly surgery. I dropped her into emergency vet at 815 and he told me he would need to keep her for the day and he’d call me at 530 to tell me if she needed surgery. I didn’t see her ingest any foreign objects, but they move quick, so you never know. Anyways, he called me back 345 and said he took the folllowup X-ray early and she was recovering remarkably and no surgery would be required and to come and get her. It’s my favourite pic now just because it signifies her recovering to me. I was so grateful she did not have a foreign object to remove and that surgery wouldn’t be required.

She does have quite the sensitive stomach and I didn’t really expect that. Finding the right food has been very challenging. The breeder and the vet are at odds on what she should be eating. Breeder says no puppy food as mals that grow too quickly can have joint problems and the vet says true, but giving her an all stages or adult food makes her miss out on important nutrients. Anyways, we tried both and she we will eat anything, but neither seem to be the best for her.

So happy to have her home and not need surgery. Waiting for the doc to call back was one on the most stressful times in my life, The way she was when I dropped her off made me think she was needing surgery 100%.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Beautiful dog, may you enjoy her company for many years. Sadly, mine is almost 12 and close to the end but should make it a few years yet.
12 years, time flies, she is only 6 months, but is she ever well behaved. For a breed that is supposed to be very stubborn I feel like I have completely lucked out in that aspect. She's got such a good temperament

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My girl is in the process of being diagnosed with Persistent Right Aortic Arch (PRAA). The vet is like 95% certain this is the proper diagnosis, but her imaging has been sent off to the Atlantic Veterinary college in PEI that specialize in this to book a consultation and CT scan to confirm the diagnosis. My vet did a barium swallow with an X-ray which showed esophageal dilation and a stricture below the dilation.

Helena got real sick about 4 weeks ago and was sent home with 30 days of antacids and what we thought may be mega esophagus. She had her follow up exam yesterday and it seems to have confirmed our worst fears that it is likely PRAA, a birth defect, which is not common to this breed at all and my breeder had to look it up when I told her about it as none of her other pups or puppy owners have reported it.

I am completely devastated, this is such a sweet, beautiful, well tempered puppy who gets along with everyone and everything to have go through this just feels so unfair.

Has anyone had their pup diagnosed with this or know anyone who has gone through it? I feel so helpless, we’ve been feeding her by soaking her kibble and having her stand upright at the kitchen counter which seems to be working for the time being. I am really scared that her quality of life is going to deteriorate quickly. Anyone know anything about this? Tbh, I never heard of it before yesterday.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
My girl is in the process of being diagnosed with Persistent Right Aortic Arch (PRAA). The vet is like 95% certain this is the proper diagnosis, but her imaging has been sent off to the Atlantic Veterinary college in PEI that specialize in this to book a consultation and CT scan to confirm the diagnosis. My vet did a barium swallow with an X-ray which showed esophageal dilation and a stricture below the dilation.

Helena got real sick about 4 weeks ago and was sent home with 30 days of antacids and what we thought may be mega esophagus. She had her follow up exam yesterday and it seems to have confirmed our worst fears that it is likely PRAA, a birth defect, which is not common to this breed at all and my breeder had to look it up when I told her about it as none of her other pups or puppy owners have reported it.

I am completely devastated, this is such a sweet, beautiful, well tempered puppy who gets along with everyone and everything to have go through this just feels so unfair.

Has anyone had their pup diagnosed with this or know anyone who has gone through it? I feel so helpless, we’ve been feeding her by soaking her kibble and having her stand upright at the kitchen counter which seems to be working for the time being. I am really scared that her quality of life is going to deteriorate quickly. Anyone know anything about this? Tbh, I never heard of it before yesterday.
Craps :( sorry to hear. A quick google mentions there is surgery, but I’m sure you and your vet will/are talking options. I hope she will be ok.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Craps :( sorry to hear. A quick google mentions there is surgery, but I’m sure you and your vet will/are talking options. I hope she will be ok.
Yes, AVC is the only place in Atlantic Canada that does it that I know of. They will most likely have to open her chest to get to it. From reading, the quicker the surgery is performed, the better the chance for recovery. I hope the waiting list isn’t too long.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

I am so sorry to hear this :(

I wish I had any advice for you, but I can only wish you and your doggy the best.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
To the OP - what a great-looking pup.

And everyone else - thanks for sharing info, pics, and the love for animals.

My pup is a mix - a beagle, Jack Russell, and lab, amongst others.

My Dad is cognitively impaired (possibly Alzheimer's), and he wanted a beagle pup. This guy was the closest I could find during COVID. He's a great pup but suffers from leash anxiety. Any tips are welcome.

He did not have a drop of beer. He just looks like he has.

And thanks again, everyone, for sharing your experiences! Great thread!

View attachment 626428
It's probably the bird dog in him. I grew up with a pure bred golden lab and the dog hated the leash. Not that she wasn't obedient but it wasn't what she was built for. She was always at her best unleashed. Her greatest triumph was snagging a partridge caught by surprise in mid-flight right before my eyes in our backyard. Something I'm still amazed at to this day. I ended up bringing the partidge over to my neighbor from the Gaspe who ate it. :laugh:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Seems to be progressing quickly or something else is going on today. A couple times she drank her water she did like a reverse sneeze and spit it all up, but now it seems like she doesn’t want any because she’s having difficulty getting it down.

I am soaking her food, so maybe she’s just not that thirsty, but this is a definite change in behaviour that just started today.

I hope they call me back soon, I can’t watch her suffer, it’s killing me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad