Jun 24, 2018

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
1000000313.jpg

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Love them ice cold blue eyes. She ever get over that fence?

Good looking dog.
Nah she's pretty relaxed as far as huskies go. My wife gave her a few years of intense training when we lived in China to drop the typical bad habits huskies have. She doesn't dig, yell, or try to escape. She'll even follow us off leash and wait for permission to go nuts in forests. All bets are off when she sees another dog though; she has to introduce herself.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Nah she's pretty relaxed as far as huskies go. My wife gave her a few years of intense training when we lived in China to drop the typical bad habits huskies have. She doesn't dig, yell, or try to escape. She'll even follow us off leash and wait for permission to go nuts in forests. All bets are off when she sees another dog though; she has to introduce herself.
Love to know how your wife did that.

2 dogs & a cat.. all lazy!
View attachment 625524
What a beautiful trio.

Don’t know how I missed this gorgeous fellow.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Love to know how your wife did that.

What a beautiful trio.

Don’t know how I missed this gorgeous fellow.
Huskies follow schedules better than some other dogs. They're not on the top of "smartest" dog lists because they're a handful and not for inexperienced dog owners. When you understand them and work to their strengths though they're right up there with German Shepherds and Border Collies. Huskies you have to feed them once a day and let them know that food is a reward for good behaviour. Snacks are only for good things too. We don't even give her table scraps, dentasticks or other treats without at least sitting and shaking. Establishing the "chain of command" stops them from walking over you. On top of that we used to walk her the same time every day and take her out to play with other dogs the same time every day. On top of that with huskies you need to burn their energy completely every day. She only just started slowing down at 6 years old, but she still goes insane when snow hits and I take her to play for at least an hour daily.

Leash training was basically just letting her know you're the one leading the walk. You have to pull them to your side and constantly reinforce that they're not making the choices.

Off-leash is just an extension of the rest. I wouldn't say every dog can do off-leash though, dogs have their own personalities.

My wife did 90% of it though I'm not going to pretend I am amazing. :laugh:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Huskies follow schedules better than some other dogs. They're not on the top of "smartest" dog lists because they're a handful and not for inexperienced dog owners. When you understand them and work to their strengths though they're right up there with German Shepherds and Border Collies. Huskies you have to feed them once a day and let them know that food is a reward for good behaviour. Snacks are only for good things too. We don't even give her table scraps, dentasticks or other treats without at least sitting and shaking. Establishing the "chain of command" stops them from walking over you. On top of that we used to walk her the same time every day and take her out to play with other dogs the same time every day. On top of that with huskies you need to burn their energy completely every day. She only just started slowing down at 6 years old, but she still goes insane when snow hits and I take her to play for at least an hour daily.

Leash training was basically just letting her know you're the one leading the walk. You have to pull them to your side and constantly reinforce that they're not making the choices.

Off-leash is just an extension of the rest. I wouldn't say every dog can do off-leash though, dogs have their own personalities.

My wife did 90% of it though I'm not going to pretend I am amazing. :laugh:
Yes I am trying the same things with Helena already. She has to do something to ever get a treat or a snack.

Also, the pulling while walking on leash is tough, but I do pull her back and force her to walk behind me. Although this is challenging, it’s doable. I also make her sit with entering/exiting the house and she’s not allowed to do neither until after me. For the most part she follows this, but if we were playing and she gets excited she will try to pull me through the door and forget what she’s already learned.

I’m not sure I get why huskies shoukd only eat once a day, too many snacks?

Had to post a picture of my boy. 2 year old Sheprador
Beautiful boy.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Yes I am trying the same things with Helena already. She has to do something to ever get a treat or a snack.

Also, the pulling while walking on leash is tough, but I do pull her back and force her to walk behind me. Although this is challenging, it’s doable. I also make her sit with entering/exiting the house and she’s not allowed to do neither until after me. For the most part she follows this, but if we were playing and she gets excited she will try to pull me through the door and forget what she’s already learned.

I’m not sure I get why huskies shoukd only eat once a day, too many snacks?

Beautiful boy.
Food is what makes dogs want a relationship with humans initially, and huskies moreso. They are very lazy and disinterested on a full stomach. The one large meal a day thing makes them obedient throughout the day. It's not really necessary after they're trained but she's used to it so it's snacks throughout the day and dinner at dinner time. She's never been underweight (and has gained 10 pounds in Canada) despite my mother thinking I am torturing my dog.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I've had a few dogs in my life, but most of them were as a kid. This is the first dog I had as an adult. She was a mix bernese-akita-chow. I adopted her as a pup, so as a first dog of my own, it was a perfect setting to learn, for the both of us. She never caused any trouble. I could leave her for 12 hours while I worked and she would never do anything bad. A real angel. Sweet, intelligent and kind. I was immensely lucky to have her and still miss her so much even after nearing a decade since she left.

20221222-204740.jpg

20221222-205451.jpg

20221222-205626.jpg

20211123-214345.jpg

This is our present dog, Nala, which is swahili for Queen (if you remember Lion King). She used to belong to a friend of mine. I was there on the day she adopted her. She was 5 months old and already highly traumatized by a bad owner who would leave her in a cage for several days. She was a handful, being a mix pitbull and shepard (we're pretty sure it's an Aussie, more on that later) she had a lot of energy, but add the seperation anxiety, the bad habits, the lack of proper grooming and my friend had more than she bargained for. After 5 years, it became too much and since I'm pretty good with dogs, she asked me if my wife and I wanted to adopt her. Contrarily to my friend, I knew full well what I would be getting into. After a bit of hesitation, we adopted her.

In the 3 years since we've adopted her, she's made incredible progress. It also helped that she was getting older, still that betrays just how much work we've put into her. Her anxiety will always remain, but it's far easier to manage now and her overall behavior is so much better.

20201209-173808.jpg

20210220-165224.jpg

20200213-131831.jpg

When my friend adopted her, she was told it was a pitlab, but I always thought it was just an ignorant conclusion. The pitbull in her is obvious when you see her in person, but the lab part, niente. If you see her next to a Border or Aussie, the resemblance is truly there. First time we brought her to the vet, the old chap took one look at her and told me it's a shepard, which confirmed what I thought. I asked him which and after checking her out, he showed me a golden streak that spirals around one of her hind legs and said it's highly likely it's an Aussie. She also has a few white patches on her chest and and tummy. You can see the streak here (i'm in orlando and she's at a dog sitter right now, so I can't put a clear picture of it):

20200213-133554.jpg

The most telling thing though is when she's keeping watch. Back straight, ears perked, a typical shepard. She's always keeping watch.

20200820-154053.jpg

20221222-212232.jpg

20210302-144158.jpg

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Food is what makes dogs want a relationship with humans initially, and huskies moreso.

This is a contested conclusion in ethology and does not follow most inter-species symbiosis. Dogs are highly social animals. When dogs are put under fMRI scan and they see their human partners, their dopaminergic pathways light up. Their oxytocin rises. They are emotionally attached to us and us to them. All that to say, what brought them towards us is unknown and might be several factors, not just food. We have to consider that what brought us together might be simple population displacement. Bears are getting used to our food, yet those bears aren't socializing with us to get more. They just sniff out our food and rob it.

They are very lazy and disinterested on a full stomach.

Depends on the dog, depends on the owner, depends on the grooming.

Both dogs I've had would obey me, whether they were full or not.

Also have to consider most people use treats to condition dogs. There are other tricks than a carrot or stick as that technique can have negative effects if obedience is always based on reward or punishment, typified by what you said, laziness and disinterest.

Reactions: GrandBison and Ezpz

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This is a contested conclusion in ethology and does not follow most inter-species symbiosis. Dogs are highly social animals. When dogs are put under fMRI scan and they see their human partners, their dopaminergic pathways light up. Their oxytocin rises. They are emotionally attached to us and us to them. All that to say, what brought them towards us is unknown and might be several factors, not just food. We have to consider that what brought us together might be simple population displacement. Bears are getting used to our food, yet those bears aren't socializing with us to get more. They just sniff out our food and rob it.

Depends on the dog, depends on the owner, depends on the grooming.

Both dogs I've had would obey me, whether they were full or not.

Also have to consider most people use treats to condition dogs. There are other tricks than a carrot or stick as that technique can have negative effects if obedience is always based on reward or punishment, typified by what you said, laziness and disinterest.
This is definitely true, though I've found that huskies in particular have more independent thinking and behaviour than other dogs and require much more structure and attention than other breeds I've had. I wouldn't advocate adopting strict methods on other breeds. I would encourage anyone to independently research training geared specifically for their breed of pup. As much as dogs are individuals, breeds are also quite different behaviourally.

Just don't follow any Cesar milan advice. Or beat your dogs. Ruling with fear doesn't work.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
She’s stunning.
I know. Beautiful beast. Rescued dog from Nunavut. Had some ‘ghetto’ attitude sometimes with other dogs who were trying to play their toughies with her, and was not to trust with small dogs hahahaha (she took them for rabbits or something). But with humans, kids, any humans actually, she was perfect. Just perfect. Helped me when I was down. Had the chance to take many, many solo walks with this alert, proud baby. Just her and I, in snowy fields, even letting her loose and watching her run like only a husky can, yet coming back to me just by calling her name. Sigh.

I still cry thinking of her. Like now. But she keeps me company as my background image on my work laptop.

You’re going to LOVE your Malamut.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Montreal
Pretty/hansome airedale. How old?

Great dogs to have, but lots of work. they key is to give them lots of exercise to tire them out and stay docile at home. we walked ours 3 1/2 hours a day, with My Mom (her dog), my uncle and my Dad sharing the load.
She's 6. You're right, super cute but they need lots of attention and exercise

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Congrats man! Those dogs are the best! Remember when I found a Husky puppy for my mom, she was almost exactly the same. They are the cutest dogs ever!

By the way she will keep you up at night, they howl a lot hahahah

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This is definitely true, though I've found that huskies in particular have more independent thinking and behaviour than other dogs and require much more structure and attention than other breeds I've had. I wouldn't advocate adopting strict methods on other breeds. I would encourage anyone to independently research training geared specifically for their breed of pup. As much as dogs are individuals, breeds are also quite different behaviourally.

Just don't follow any Cesar milan advice. Or beat your dogs. Ruling with fear doesn't work.

Best trick that I know that is rarely given; I've always communicated a lot with my dogs, not just orders though, but simply talking to them a lot. I made sure that I clearly differentiated my tone of voice with my intents and always use the same basic words to represent what i want/mean. Now that might not work as good with all dogs, but it will work with most of them if you start very early. Aussies are brilliant, so even at 5 years old when I adopted her, I implemented the same way of doing things as with my previous dog and it worked.

IMO, a high degree of verbal and physical communication has so many benefits. It's amazing how many words they can learn and how easily they associate words and intent.

No, husky with some othe breed mixed in, black coat with touches or grey and white. Black face all over. She was a beauty.

Huskies and malamutes make incredible mixes.

• Love
Reactions: dinodebino

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
See my avatar...alaskan malamutes are my breed. Currently have two, Juno is my avatar and she turned 11 back in October and is a fighter. She was diagnosed in September 2021 with ostesarcoma and had her leg removed in November 2021 and started chemo about 6 weeks later. Chemo was completed in March and she has been cancer free since.

I also have a 5 year old male rescue malamute named Maverick. In the past I had Koda a male who was Juno's great-uncle, same breeder north of Gatineau. And my first dog when I was 18, first that was not a family dog but mine, was Chester who had a malamute mother and lab/shepherd father.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad