Alan Wake 2 - October 27th 2023

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yeah, Alan Wake is my favorite game ever. The negative reviews were rough.

I’m not a huge survival horror fan, so that is turning me off a bit, but I’ve waited years for a sequel, so I have to play this.
I'm pumped to play after this period, I hope the story is just as campy and strong as the first (ive looked at scores but have read nothing about it).

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I played 2.5 hours last night and it feels like it's just getting started now, its been a lot of story up until this point. Graphics are outstanding, definitely among the very best I've seen in a game. It runs well on my system completely maxed out though I have had an issue with some cutscenes where the game will have some stuttering upon a new cutscene starting which can be jarring as sometimes the game quickly switches back and forth between cutscenes and live action videos. I've also had a problem where the map screen takes a few seconds to load in at full detail. Aside from these two problems I'm having a great time and am excited to play more tonight.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So in the remastered Alan Wake game for Xbox Series X, i would constantly have to restart the game cause the sound would go away.

Welll guess what happened in the first scene in Alan Wake 2, the sound went away and i had to restart the game.

Have had no problems since that moment yet, but kind of hilarious that i already experienced the same f***ing bug at the beginning of this game that i got multiple times in Alan Wake.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Yeah I'm already feeling like I probably should have played Control before this came out. I'll likely play it immediately after I finish this game.
Yeah, you're not going to get most of the Easter eggs or references in the game and there's a TON of them.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm glad to hear from you guys that it's more Control than survival horror. I'm not really any expert on genre or someone who gets too caught up in those questions for games, but I'm not a huge fan of horror and have never played the classic games people like to point to, but I thoroughly enjoyed Control (even though it whooped my ass repeatedly) and also TLOU 1 and 2.

Never played the first game, but the setting/story and Control connections are hugely intriguing to me, so appreciate the reports. I am pretty confident that I am going to buy this soon, though I might drag my feet for a sale, since I'm gonna be playing Spiderman 2 for a while and then likely after that Persona Tactica. I doubt a sale happens all that fast, but this might be the winter game that gets me through January.

That said, the more I'm seeing, the more tempted I am to just pull the trigger now.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'm glad to hear from you guys that it's more Control than survival horror. I'm not really any expert on genre or someone who gets too caught up in those questions for games, but I'm not a huge fan of horror and have never played the classic games people like to point to, but I thoroughly enjoyed Control (even though it whooped my ass repeatedly) and also TLOU 1 and 2.

Never played the first game, but the setting/story and Control connections are hugely intriguing to me, so appreciate the reports. I am pretty confident that I am going to buy this soon, though I might drag my feet for a sale, since I'm gonna be playing Spiderman 2 for a while and then likely after that Persona Tactica. I doubt a sale happens all that fast, but this might be the winter game that gets me through January.

That said, the more I'm seeing, the more tempted I am to just pull the trigger now.
Do it. They went out of their way to make sure they didn't fully repeat the first game. For example, one hidden trophies was collecting blue thermos's through out the game. Now these the blue Thermos is a save point in the game.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm pretty early in the game, but I think comparing it to control is kind of bananas. I love that they are making it a shared world, but the gameplay is (so far) definitely not Control. Not a bad thing at all though.

Edit. And the tone and storybeats are definitely Control. I was just focusing on the gameplay.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yeah the closest comparison for me gameplay wise is definitely Resident Evil 2 (2019). Something I wish they borrowed from that game is the ability to use the mouse wheel to scroll through your equipped items. I don't normally like to switch weapons using the number keys but the inventory screen does not pause the game unlike RE2 so you really have no choice but to use the number keys. I'm also pretty surprised by the low amount of enemy encounters I've had ~5 hours in, and I'm playing on Hard mode. Although I do prefer this to the insane amount of encounters in the original game lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'm pretty early in the game, but I think comparing it to control is kind of bananas. I love that they are making it a shared world, but the gameplay is (so far) definitely not Control. Not a bad thing at all though.

Edit. And the tone and storybeats are definitely Control. I was just focusing on the gameplay.
Search around the first part of the game. You'll see the tie ins.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Just ran into a weird glitch.

I was escaping from enemies, started picking up a manuscript page i saw on the ground and got hit by the enemy in the middle of the animation. Then my character glitched out. Not only did she have both the gun and manuscript in the same hand, but she kept on moving by herself.

So in other words, make sure there are no enemies around when picking up manuscript pages. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad