Player Discussion Alain Vigneault Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Last thread is over the 1k max. (Mods please help on my spelling of AV)

Glad to see some acknowledgment from him in the post game. Not sure we will see any changes come of it though.

So close. Vig-ne-a-ult. Title edited. Thanks for starting the new thread.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Hm AV is a good coach again?
I really hope AV don`t change the Kreider - Stepan - Zuci line until our injured players are back in action like Buch & Zib.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
I was at the game today. I hope it's just them missing Zibby and Pavel. because this team cannot solve opposing teams standing up at the blue line. I dont even know if the Rangers have the players to even execute the dump and chase. This game was very concerning to me. AV at some time has to be held accountable for the lack of adjustments as well as the players who a times dont have the appropriate battle level.

I know the Rangers record is excellent but what I have seen in the last two weeks is worrisome. AV delegates too much for my liking, he also needs to be in his players and the refs ears more. Plus, Baba Shampooey is giving up questionable goals every start when guys like him should be giving up questionable goals once every two months. It's not all AV's fault, but this is starting to look like deja vu from last season.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I was at the game today. I hope it's just them missing Zibby and Pavel. because this team cannot solve opposing teams standing up at the blue line. I dont even know if the Rangers have the players to even execute the dump and chase. This game was very concerning to me. AV at some time has to be held accountable for the lack of adjustments as well as the players who a times dont have the appropriate battle level.

I know the Rangers record is excellent but what I have seen in the last two weeks is worrisome. AV delegates too much for my liking, he also needs to be in his players and the refs ears more. Plus, Baba Shampooey is giving up questionable goals every start when guys like him should be giving up questionable goals once every two months. It's not all AV's fault, but this is starting to look like deja vu from last season.

I don't think there's any doubt that we miss those two greatly. For my money, they're our two most skilled/dynamic forwards, and are a big part of getting us in the zone and staying there. Our depth takes a huge hit and guys like Puempel, Fast, Jooris, and Lindberg start getting more minutes than they should.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Hm AV is a good coach again?

Right now, the team is playing partial games with a garbage compete level. I don't blame coaches for crap effort, I blame the guys on the ice. Players are well paid and this is their job. Show the **** up to work.

Regarding AV, he makes some seemingly odd choices, but you'll generally see the exact same complaints from fans of every team. Right now, the team's 1C is out and the forwards and LDs are shackled to a catastrophe RD corp. That is an unbelievably difficult handicap to play with. Clendening argued by many to come in and I am fine with that. But the reality exists that throughout his career Clendening's decisions and fundamentals have been an atrocity, so it's understandable if a coach does not feel all too confident in him.

Sports are results based. And while a few are calling for AV to be fired, that does not seem likely when during his time here AV has the 3rd most regular season wins, 4th most GF, 4th fewest GA, best differential, most playoff games played, 2nd most playoff wins and the team is currently leading the league in points.

I have some grudges with AV. But personally I am vastly more concerned with our RD situation than I am with the coach. When Girardi, Clendening, Klein and wrong side Holden is your RD corp, it's almost like the other 4 players on the ice have that burden to carry. Not a good recipe and for me that is an infinitely larger concern than the coach. I'm not convinced any coach can do much better or go anywhere in the playoffs when 1 of the 5 skating positions is pretty much crippling the other 4 skaters.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah we need to do something the RD position for sure - hopefully before end of this season late march before playoffs starts.
@Open Mind some good points and a good read, and appreciate your content for sure.

I`m still not sure how Rangers play defense even though we have some very slow players like G, and that`s on AV as well as GM, Jeff G.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His good decisions are taken for granted, his bad decisions are magnified x10. It's the same **** every day.

10 years from now, people will miss him when he is gone. AV is one of the best coaches we've had in the last 25 years but somehow he doesn't get credit for the success we have had with him

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
His good decisions are taken for granted, his bad decisions are magnified x10. It's the same **** every day.

10 years from now, people will miss him when he is gone. AV is one of the best coaches we've had in the last 25 years but somehow he doesn't get credit for the success we have had with him

Wait, is this post about Lundqvist or AV?

Scotty Bowman couldn't make this blueline serviceable.

Scotty Bowman would play #4 (maybe, I have no idea :P )

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Scotty Bowman would play #4 (maybe, I have no idea :P )

Lol.. come on now... Scotty Bowman never had a D that looked anything like this. Bowman was a great coach, but had two HOFers on D in St Louis, including Doug Harvey... 5 different HOFers in MTL: Laperriere, Lapointe, Robinson, Langway and Savard (his last Cup team in MTL had 10 freakin HOFers on the roster)... 2 HOFers in Pit, Coffey and Murphy... and 5 different HOFers on D in Det: Coffey, Lidstrom, Fetisov, Murphy and Chelios... and 9 total HOFers on his last Cup winning team in Det. We don't even have one good RD :cry:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

Hard to give a guy credit when coaching is so easy. Plug and play based on fancystats, didn't you know today's NHLers are robots.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hard to give a guy credit when coaching is so easy. Plug and play based on fancystats, didn't you know today's NHLers are robots.

That's the problem with a lot of fans. If we win, it's because of the players, if we lose it is on the coach not making adjustments.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That's the problem with a lot of fans. If we win, it's because of the players, if we lose it is on the coach not making adjustments.

This is just wrong.

Every time we lose the Nash thread is bumped, the Lundqvist thread is bumped. Girardi and Staal are bashed to death.

AV gets his fair share just like every else in the org.

And it's not like the people who want to praise AV don't exist. It is perhaps that the people who don't like him are the vocal majority and the actual minority.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are they missing those two? Of course they are. However that still does not excuse stickhandling through a wall. When the neutral zone is clogged, there is still no effort to chip the puck in off of the boards. Why is that? Because that is not the strategy.

This team is just a faster version of last year's team. They still cannot and do not make any efforts to alter play if the neutral zone is clogged.

It is not a matter of not having people to can chase the puck. It is just not doing it because that is not what is drawn up on the board. Good teams can adapt to what is happening on the ice. This one has either been allowed to dazzle with pond hockey or it disappears. Is it a composition issue? Could be. Which requires personnel changes. But that requires AV to suspend his belief that skill will overcome anything. For two years running, AV has coached to what he imagines the game to be. Not to what is actually happening on the ice.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Truthfully, I just want him fired... That's it. Something is wrong in the room. Hank's play is a reflection of this team as a whole, and the whole "Rangers are going the trajectory of Vancouver" is VERY evident right now.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Truthfully, I just want him fired... That's it. Something is wrong in the room. Hank's play is a reflection of this team as a whole, and the whole "Rangers are going the trajectory of Vancouver" is VERY evident right now.

I called before the season started that if the Rangers played like last year AV would be gone by Christmas. The good play at the beginning of the season pushed back that date but will the current injuries will save AV's job by a few months? We'll have to wait and see how patient Gorton is.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

No, no its not.

And you've wanted AV fired for some time now, you'll never get over Mcilrath.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Ill informed and uneducated opinion. People like you deserve to be subjected to watching a team where something is actually wrong in the room.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I called before the season started that if the Rangers played like last year AV would be gone by Christmas. The good play at the beginning of the season pushed back that date but will the current injuries will save AV's job by a few months? We'll have to wait and see how patient Gorton is.

I think Gorton is smart enough to know that both he and AV had to deal with a roster last season that was on the downside compared to 14 and 15.

Does anyone have any real solution besides "I just want this guy fired?" Careful what you wish for.

AV has been proven to be one of the better coaches in the league when provided with the proper ingredients. Whether is injuries or Sather's negligence at the end of his term as GM, the roster is clearly slipping from its hey say a couple years ago. I am hopeful Gorton will continue to fix it and that AV has earned more time here to guide it.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
AV is using this roster to their max potential, at least offensivly. Team hasn't really looked the same in the past two weeks but that's what happens when you lose your top center (Zibanjad). Gotta give Av credit, he's making guys like Staal contributing offensivly and scoring goals. If Gorton could aquire a rhd to play with Mcd this team will be a legit contender.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AV has been proven to be one of the better coaches in the league when provided with the proper ingredients. Whether is injuries or Sather's negligence at the end of his term as GM, the roster is clearly slipping from its hey say a couple years ago. I am hopeful Gorton will continue to fix it and that AV has earned more time here to guide it.
AV is a good coach. But he is also a coach that can only get a team to a certain spot. And he has also shown that in the NHL. Couple that with the maddening inability to make any sort of adjustment to his gameplan, and you get what you get. Blaming everything on roster make up is one thing. Blaming Henke is one thing. Not assigning any portion to the man who makes the game plan is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad