After Tonight's Game It Hit Me

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
We're a powerhouse. After all the years of a garbage product, we're the real deal. It wasn't the shelling of the Habs that made me think it, but rather the play of our THIRD-string goalie. Jones has so much poise and confidence; he's such a pleasure to watch. It's a credit to our entire organization and the people that comprise it who have worked night and day to build such a complete roster, from top to bottom, and such a deep farm system. A group of players that work their collective ***** off every night and play for each other rather than themselves. Such a deep organization that the best goalie in the league can go down and we shift into another gear, elevate their game, and play this well. This isn't about our recent play or even this season, but more about how much we've matured as an organization in the last three or four years. The future is so damn bright for this team. I'm eager to see where this core takes us. Buckle up.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We're a powerhouse. After all the years of a garbage product, we're the real deal. It wasn't the shelling of the Habs that made me think it, but rather the play of our THIRD-string goalie. Jones has so much poise and confidence; he's such a pleasure to watch. It's a credit to our entire organization and the people that comprise it who have worked night and day to build such a complete roster, from top to bottom, and such a deep farm system. A group of players that work their collective ***** off every night and play for each other rather than themselves. Such a deep organization that the best goalie in the league can go down and we shift into another gear, elevate their game, and play this well. This isn't about our recent play or even this season, but more about how much we've matured as an organization in the last three or four years. The future is so damn bright for this team. I'm eager to see where this core takes us. Buckle up.

This is the part that gets me. We always knew the guys buckled down for the playoffs, but to see them sack up and CLEARLY step it up a level now to protect their backup goalies shows me everything I need to know.

Captain Mittens*

It's a great ****ing feeling. Especially after the hopeless years of 95-97 and then 2003-2008.

What's really impressive to me is DL basically came in and layed out a very detailed and structured plan. He hasn't really ever deviated from that and it has worked out almost exactly as he planned including winning a Cup in year 6 (I think he said we'd be competing for it after year 5). The team is drafting and developing more players than it ever has. Not just low level talent but playes that fit everywhere in the depth chart. The amount of players that have come through the system in the past few years is incredible. There was a lot of venom and anger spewed at DL in his first few years and it is understandable. Kings fans have been sold a bill of goods that never materialized so many times but he along with the people he has put in place really deserve every bit of praise they get. Sure he has made mistakes but I don’t think there is any question he is the best thing that ever happened to the organization.

I’ll be honest, I thought the biggest question mark going into this season was the defense and so far that has been far from an issue. It does help when you have everyone buying into the concept of team defense. The Kings now have a reputation. They have an identity or brand.. whatever you want to call it. They are big, they are physical, they’ll strangle you with their defense and their forecheck and even put in just enough goals to win games. It is never fun to be on the losing side of that. As we’ve seen other teams fans complain that it seems boring. But when you are watching it, it is like a well oiled machine and after watching years of crappy team, I really enjoy watching that machine run.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I didn't know where else to put this, but while we're talking about the good decisionmaking DL possesses, I thought I'd note that Bud Holloway has come back down to earth, with only 5 goals and 19 points in 31 games in Sweden this year. Last year in 55 games he had 20 goals and 71 points.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This is the part that gets me. We always knew the guys buckled down for the playoffs, but to see them sack up and CLEARLY step it up a level now to protect their backup goalies shows me everything I need to know.

Well said and that is what elite teams do, that's the difference between pretenders and contenders. Last night I was listening online to the TSN 690 postgame show from MOntreal and one of the commentators said how much he admires the Kings 'big guns' who not only play a solid 2 way game (he specifically mentioned Kopitar and Richards) but do it consistantly, he spoke of them going down to block shots, being counted on the PK and shutting it down in close games. He pointed out how hard they work. How when your leaders do that shift in , shift out, the others follow suit.

This team has it all, from the backend through the D, all 4 lines and right to the coaching staff. So much to admire, and that hunger is in their eyes which , if they stay healhty, ,makes them the favorite in the West.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's a great time to be a Kings fan. I was very fortunate to be able to have a long discussion with Lombardi within a few months of him being hired, and believe me he had a detailed plan and explained it all. Nothing like this happens without a few bumps in the road, but so far it seems that Dean never makes a mistake that can't be handled with a recovery plan.

Looks like teams will be looking to poach people on Dean's staff now, so he will really need to focus on developing his bench on his staff as well.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Don't discount some good luck with this building process. I mean where would we be if Mike Richards was never traded? That single happenstance that the Flyers organization would trade their franchise player, FRANCHISE PLAYER, is like a lottery win! On top of that acquire another important player on that Stanley Cup caliber team, one of the biggest and purest goal scorers in the game, in THEIR PRIMES!!! What?!?! So in essence with all circumstances that came together we actually won the lottery 2x in one year and meshed two talented cores together. You can say we are a Dual Core Stanley Cup Caliber TEAM:yo:

I don't think the same luck would happen to any other GM for a very long time or if ever again!

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What's really impressive to me is DL basically came in and layed out a very detailed and structured plan. He hasn't really ever deviated from that and it has worked out almost exactly as he planned including winning a Cup in year 6 (I think he said we'd be competing for it after year 5). The team is drafting and developing more players than it ever has. Not just low level talent but playes that fit everywhere in the depth chart. The amount of players that have come through the system in the past few years is incredible. There was a lot of venom and anger spewed at DL in his first few years and it is understandable. Kings fans have been sold a bill of goods that never materialized so many times but he along with the people he has put in place really deserve every bit of praise they get. Sure he has made mistakes but I don’t think there is any question he is the best thing that ever happened to the organization.

I’ll be honest, I thought the biggest question mark going into this season was the defense and so far that has been far from an issue. It does help when you have everyone buying into the concept of team defense. The Kings now have a reputation. They have an identity or brand.. whatever you want to call it. They are big, they are physical, they’ll strangle you with their defense and their forecheck and even put in just enough goals to win games. It is never fun to be on the losing side of that. As we’ve seen other teams fans complain that it seems boring. But when you are watching it, it is like a well oiled machine and after watching years of crappy team, I really enjoy watching that machine run.

This. ^^^

The Kings are the New Jersey Devils, 20 years later. Kopitar is our Holik/Arnott, Doughty is our Niedermeyer, Quick is our Brodeur. I hope the Kings win three Cups in 10 years.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Steady as she goes...

Just the same way I'm begging some of you to step away from the ledge during a slump, I caution the chest thumping so early in the season.

That said, I like our team and I like our chances.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The team has been strong at 5 on 5 the whole season. The only weak part of this team is the power play. If they can fix the power play, this team would be a lot harder to beat.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I try to appreciate what we Kings fans have everyday. What is cool is that they are still a relatively young team.

Hope they can keep it going for a while.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This entire thread makes me the happiest guy to read. I know that I harp on about our prospects but I have been doing it for over 25 years and from day one that DL came in our entire approach changed and became what great teams do. It was shocking to watch happen because I never thought we would develop a system, a philosophy and the dedication to following it through at all costs during the existence of this club.

While we are celebrating our accomplishments to date one more name needs to be added to the last, Phillip Anschutz (and family).

I have seen plenty of owners come and go, even a few that were pretty good hockey people but none of them that put their money where their mouths were and kept doing so until we found success.

So kudos to them.

The funny thing about our current depth is that we are about to see a new wave of kids in Vey Pearson Toffi Gravel Forbort and then Fashing Zykov etc and others will come along to pick up the slack.

We have the depth to fill holes or to go out and get the players that we need to keep us contenders and we have the personnel to keep us on track to do so for the foreseeable future.

I know I keep saying these things but they are true.

It is a great time to be a Kings fan!

Finally!

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I must agree tg I have wanted the kings to develope there own players for as long as i can remember and yet i keep seeing young players traded away. Its apart of why i didn't like the 99 trade Yes in the long run i can look back and say i guess they made the right decesion ( it got us the first cup appearance and without that trade i don't think the california expansion happens. ) At the time i thought that we gave up to much of the future. Anyways I'm more then happy looking at our team and seeing that they can develope our own players now. It also why i try to get picks more then players in trades because i know with the picks the kings will get players we need in the system.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Before everyone gets all gooey in this thread, I'd just like to point out one thing.

The OP is a really, really slow learner :sarcasm:

Reclamation Project - It seriously took you this long to figure it out??? Better late than never I guess :laugh:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Today I was listening to TSN Radio 1050 and The Fan 590 here in Toronto and it was great hearing these guys gushing about how great the Kings are. They all talk about how big they are, how fast they are for their size and how they all commit to a defensive system. It takes so much pressure off the goalies and defencemen when your forwards all come back.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Before everyone gets all gooey in this thread, I'd just like to point out one thing.

The OP is a really, really slow learner :sarcasm:

Reclamation Project - It seriously took you this long to figure it out??? Better late than never I guess :laugh:

NPH-SLAP.gif

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Most team would kill for either Kopitar or Richards.

The size on the wings is awesome. Brown, King, Nolan, Clifford, are all big and can play and home grown.

We are deep at goal even after trading Bernier with Scrivens and Jones.

Our D is mobile and big. Each skilled guy is paired with a tough, stay at home D man (except the combo of Muzzin and Doughty), but they both play physical and can move the puck.

The last 2-3 seasons the team that Lombardi envisioned has finally come to fruition. They play like a Lombardi inspired and Flyers influenced team, big and fast BUT also emphasize D that TM and Sutter emphasize.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You what I love about being a Kings fan now, is that I can watch a regular season game, and win or lose, the majority of the time, I feel I know what team I'm going to see. Before, if the other team scored first, I figured the odds were long on the Kings picking up a W because they seemed to have no resiliency. Now, the other team gets a lucky first goal, and I figure that by the end of 60 minutes, we'll see nothing worse than OT, if not pull out the W in regulation.

The players are a confident group, and in turn, I can be a confident fan. This team may not win the Cup every year, but I feel good about being a consistent playoff team for years to come, and no longer being an after thought when it comes to respect around the league. While I'd still like to see the team win a division championship soon, what I really am holding out hope for is a steady punking of the Detroit Red Wings when they show up at Staples. A couple of last minute goals to pull out a come from behind win will go a long way to erasing some memories of yesteryear.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'll just keep re-emphasizing that this is the organization/team most of us have waited a lifetime for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad