Boston Bruins - GP 80 - Points Lost 55
Washington Capitals - GP 80 - Points Lost 60
Pittsburgh Penguins - GP 81 - Points Lost 61

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Looking at the metric you can see the seperation forming and the 8 playoff teams in the East are taking shape.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Carolina Hurricanes - GP 31 - Points Lost 15
Toronto Maple Leafs - GP 31 - Points Lost 18
Florida Panthers - GP 32 - Points Lost 18
New York Rangers - GP 33 - Points lost 20
Washington Capitals - GP 34 - Points lost 20
Tampa Bay Lightning - GP 34 - Points Lost 21
Pittsburgh Penguins - GP 31 - Points lost 21
Boston Bruins - GP 28 - Points Lost 22
Columbus Blue Jackets - GP 30 - Points lost 29
NY Islanders - GP 28 - Points lost 30
Philadelphia Flyers - GP 32 - Points lost 32
Detroit Red Wings - GP 33 - Points Lost 33
New Jersey Devils - GP 33 - Points lost 35
Ottawa Senators - GP 29 - Points Lost 38
Buffalo Sabres - GP 33 -Points Lost 40

the-smurfs---schleich---20121-ice-skater-smurf-p-image-311975-grande.jpg

Smurfs de Poutineville - GP 34 - Points Lost 50

The struggles of the Flyers and Islanders, and of course the haplessness of the Habs, are immensely helpful for the Bruins. All 3 have rosters that are very capable at least on paper of battling for playoff contention, and more able to sustain a challenge throughout a long season than young or rebuilding teams like the Red Wings and Blue Jackets. Philly and the Fish Sticks aren't completely out of it yet and they're probably the two that the Bruins will most need to watch, but still, having them behind the eight ball is a big plus.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yup.

Smack dab in the middle.

A rung well below the true contenders.
Clearly above the also-rans and the riff-raff.

Scoreboard don’t lie in this case.

I don't think the Bruins have played their best hockey yet this season. Something has been off all year. If they start to play better consistently and as a cohesive group (find a team identity?), I don't know if that gets them into the top tier, but they are better than they've done so far.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't think the Bruins have played their best hockey yet this season. Something has been off all year. If they start to play better consistently and as a cohesive group (find a team identity?), I don't know if that gets them into the top tier, but they are better than they've done so far.

I thought McAvoy had his best game of the season yesterday. He can be better than he has been so far this season. That would help.

Pasta needs to find his game, get some confidence back. That would help too.

Same for Taylor Hall.

Craig Smith looks to be healthy again.

Grizz and Rielly could contribute more offensively.

Tuukka?

Yep, I think best hockey is still to come, without even making a move.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Anson Carter thinks the Bruins are the most likely team currently in the Top 8 to miss the playoffs o_O

I am looking at the points lost metric and I see the Bruins in range of both Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Carolina Hurricanes - GP 33 - Points Lost 16
Toronto Maple Leafs - GP 35 - Points Lost 21
Florida Panthers - GP 36 - Points Lost 19
New York Rangers - GP 37 - Points lost 24
Washington Capitals - GP 37 - Points lost 25
Tampa Bay Lightning - GP 38 - Points Lost 23
Pittsburgh Penguins - GP 35 - Points lost 23
Boston Bruins - GP 33 - Points Lost 24

Columbus Blue Jackets - GP 34 - Points lost 35
Philadelphia Flyers - GP 35 - Points lost 37
Detroit Red Wings - GP 37 - Points Lost 37
New Jersey Devils - GP 36 - Points lost 39
Buffalo Sabres - GP 35 -Points Lost 44
Smurfs de Poutineville - GP 35 - Points Lost 52​
I’m with Tocchet on this one, I don’t see the Bruins missing.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Anson Carter thinks the Bruins are the most likely team currently in the Top 8 to miss the playoffs o_O

I am looking at the points lost metric and I see the Bruins in range of both Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Carolina Hurricanes - GP 33 - Points Lost 16
Toronto Maple Leafs - GP 35 - Points Lost 21
Florida Panthers - GP 36 - Points Lost 19
New York Rangers - GP 37 - Points lost 24
Washington Capitals - GP 37 - Points lost 25
Tampa Bay Lightning - GP 38 - Points Lost 23
Pittsburgh Penguins - GP 35 - Points lost 23
Boston Bruins - GP 33 - Points Lost 24

Columbus Blue Jackets - GP 34 - Points lost 35
Philadelphia Flyers - GP 35 - Points lost 37
Detroit Red Wings - GP 37 - Points Lost 37
New Jersey Devils - GP 36 - Points lost 39
Buffalo Sabres - GP 35 -Points Lost 44
Smurfs de Poutineville - GP 35 - Points Lost 52​

The Pens and Bolts will make it. I reckon it's the Caps who could well be in trouble. They're old and slow and only have so-so goaltending. They've still got the offensive firepower, but I do think it's possible that their form could at some point just fall off a cliff if they lose another half-step as the season grind really starts to bite. Wouldn't bet against them, but will be interesting to see how they go.

Islanders remain the team to watch as the one that could worry the Bs. Lots of games in hand, and they were just starting to finally get going when they hit this long 11-12 day Covid break. Think the next couple of weeks will tell us whether they're got a run for a playoff spot in them or not.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Pens and Bolts will make it. I reckon it's the Caps who could well be in trouble. They're old and slow and only have so-so goaltending. They've still got the offensive firepower, but I do think it's possible that their form could at some point just fall off a cliff if they lose another half-step as the season grind really starts to bite. Wouldn't bet against them, but will be interesting to see how they go.

Islanders remain the team to watch as the one that could worry the Bs. Lots of games in hand, and they were just starting to finally get going when they hit this long 11-12 day Covid break. Think the next couple of weeks will tell us whether they're got a run for a playoff spot in them or not.

Question for the NYI is how Chara and Green
will hold up under that schedule. They are
like 81 years old between them...lol.

Question for Washington is how much has Backstrom's hip surgery impacted his play. He was invisible against Boston. Lavy had Kuznetsov centering Ovie. That's a killer for Washington if he doesn't regain his form.

Wouldn't mind Boston being a wild card in the Metro.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Was it Anson Carter who said “I’m not sure Boston makes it” on the pregame show last night?

Obviously it’s still early in the season, but especially given the games in hand the Bruins have on every team that’s “close” in the standings, who does he see catching them? The Red Wings? Even at this stage of the season, I’m confident saying that something has likely gone terribly wrong if that is to happen.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We still have 3 1/2 months left in the regular season (April 29th) and that is almost certain to be extended.

The B's WILL make the playoffs

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Was it Anson Carter who said “I’m not sure Boston makes it” on the pregame show last night?

Obviously it’s still early in the season, but especially given the games in hand the Bruins have on every team that’s “close” in the standings, who does he see catching them? The Red Wings? Even at this stage of the season, I’m confident saying that something has likely gone terribly wrong if that is to happen.

He thinks it will be the Islanders.

I think NYI could make a run but the Bruins won't be the team that will be caught.

Reactions: HustleB

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I think NYI could make a run but the Bruins won't be the team that will be caught.

oh okay, I didn’t hear that.

Haven’t seen much of the islanders this year, but has there really been much there that suggests they could make a run? Or is it just trusting in Barry Trotz making it happen?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
oh okay, I didn’t hear that.

Haven’t seen much of the islanders this year, but has there really been much there that suggests they could make a run? Or is it just trusting in Barry Trotz making it happen?

Trotz is a big part of it, but I think as well you look at their roster and it's little changed from the one that made the conference finals and took the Bolts to 7. I know on paper it's not exactly full of top-end talent and past playoff success is no guarantee of future performance (hello Habs!), but I think there are also extenuating circumstances that can otherwise explain their slow start - playing no home games for over a month, then entering a new barn for which they initially had no familiarity, a few injuries. If they can get past all that and get their act together and fully commit again to Trotz' system then I think they've got a good run in them. But then again they are in a pretty sizable hole and it's not easy to play the Trotz way night after night and get by more on grind than outright ability. So I think the odds are against them, but they can't be discounted just yet.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Trotz is a big part of it, but I think as well you look at their roster and it's little changed from the one that made the conference finals and took the Bolts to 7. I know on paper it's not exactly full of top-end talent and past playoff success is no guarantee of future performance (hello Habs!), but I think there are also extenuating circumstances that can otherwise explain their slow start - playing no home games for over a month, then entering a new barn for which they initially had no familiarity, a few injuries. If they can get past all that and get their act together and fully commit again to Trotz' system then I think they've got a good run in them. But then again they are in a pretty sizable hole and it's not easy to play the Trotz way night after night and get by more on grind than outright ability. So I think the odds are against them, but they can't be discounted just yet.

Also (and I apologize for being too lazy to actually confirm it), are Trotz’s team’s known for slow starts at all? If anything, I feel like they generally come running out of the gates?

Like you said, it could happen. And it’s really easy to forget that we still have over half the season left. But it’s hard not to be confident in the Bruins right now.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
What's crazy is that you look at the standings and see Pittsburgh and Boston in the wildcard spots - and how thrilled the top of the division teams must be to see that.
With The Pens already on a tear and getting Malkin back and The Bruins finding their game, lighting the lamp and adding Rask - they're probably the two scariest wildcard teams we've ever seen.
Pittsburgh on a 110 point pace. Bruins at a 104 point pace.

The Pens won't be a wildcard team for long and think The Bruins will get themselves into the conversation once they make up some more games - but as of today that's pretty ridiculous.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

I don't know. Islanders have 54 games left. If 98 points (based on the end of the 2019 season) is what is needed for the 8th seed, they need 72 points which equates to 36 wins. They'd have to win at a .667 clip the rest of the way. Of course the loser point factors in, but I think that's pretty tough.

Apologies if I got the math wrong.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't know. Islanders have 54 games left. If 98 points (based on the end of the 2019 season) is what is needed for the 8th seed, they need 72 points which equates to 36 wins. They'd have to win at a .667 clip the rest of the way. Of course the loser point factors in, but I think that's pretty tough.

Apologies if I got the math wrong.

They stumbled badly when the new arena opened but are now at .500 - 5-5-3 - They have 28 home games left so they can still make a run.

That said I don't think the Bruins will be the team sitting in the 8 spot - I think that will be Washington.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bruins 104 point pace

I’ll take them today in series against the 1967 Cup champs

No way.

Keon better than Bergy.

Bower (and Sawchuk) better than Tuukka.

Tim Horton, Allen Stanley, Marcel Pronovost all Hall of Fame dmen.

The big M!

Red Kelly!

No contest.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
The Islanders are the only team that could possibly make it into the top 8 I think

but for the Islanders to get to 100 points
“Which probably won’t even make it”

They need 72 points in 53 games which means they have to play at a 111 point pace the rest of the season

considering how compact there schedule is there 10 games behind some teams…it seems near impossible

they will be completely gassed after a while

the Top 8 teams in the East in my mind is 95% locked in just a mattter of seeding

considering every team in the East playoffs is on pace for between 106-120 points

seeding means nothing this year you are playing a loaded team in round 1 no matter what

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No way.

Keon better than Bergy.

Bower (and Sawchuk) better than Tuukka.

Tim Horton, Allen Stanley, Marcel Pronovost all Hall of Fame dmen.

The big M!

Red Kelly!

No contest.
Ha ha- boo on me

I wrote wrong- should have been ‘Sons of 67 Champs’

yah the 60’s Leafs phenomenal

George Armstrong great captain

I need you here to call me out

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad