Adirondack, Manchester, and Norfolk fans?????

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Now almost halfway through the season I would like some input from the fans in these new markets. While NORAD fans aren't exactly new to the ECHL product I would like to hear your input on the ECHL game and if different from when the ECHL last called Coastal Virginia home.... Fans in Adirondack and Manchester, any thoughts? I was listening to some Adirondack games lately online over the Internet and really think your have a top notch broadcaster and solid ECHL organization up there. Fans excited to host the ECHL All Star game next season????

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
To be honest there's not much that has changed in Manchester. Much of the front office is still intact from last year, the promos/game day experience is the same quality, and the crowds have been consistant.

As far as the team itself goes the speed and talent aren't far off from the AHL. Seems like there's a few more big hits than a typical AHL game, but that's not a bad thing.

Overall everything seems pretty optimistic as far as long term success goes. It should be no surprise that keeping the teams look and identity will go a long way toward fan goodwill either.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm not surprised to hear that. The NHL has kind of slowly killed the AHL. The AHL is losing its identity when it comes to a lot of teams. You have more flexibility down here.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I haven't been to a game in ADK since last season, but everything I've read and heard says that crowds have been tiny this season. They really seem to be resisting what may be their last chance at hosting pro hockey. It seems to me like Calgary is making a lot more effort than the locals. If the Thunder pack it and leave, they have no right to crab about not having a team.

It reminds me of the kind of people who turn down their friends' invites to go out on a Saturday night because it's not exactly what they want to do, then complain that there's nothing to do on a Saturday night.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I haven't been to a game in ADK since last season, but everything I've read and heard says that crowds have been tiny this season. They really seem to be resisting what may be their last chance at hosting pro hockey. It seems to me like Calgary is making a lot more effort than the locals. If the Thunder pack it and leave, they have no right to crab about not having a team.

It reminds me of the kind of people who turn down their friends' invites to go out on a Saturday night because it's not exactly what they want to do, then complain that there's nothing to do on a Saturday night.

Its a little better than UHL. They had no problems supporting that.

Adirondack Jack

Jan 19, 2016
The problem in Adirondack was missteps by management. Raising ticket prices on a fan base that is seeing its third new team in as many years and stepping down a league was an egregious mistake. The small staff is doing everything in their power to right Brian Petrovek's wrongs but its too deep a hole to climb out of this year. Petrovek is wildly unpopular with the fan base and sponsors. Many sponsors have pulled out and refuse to work with the team while he is in charge. Until Petrovek is replaced as President of The Adirondack Thunder the financial losses will continue to mount. The Glens Falls region is a small area that relies heavily on relationships and likability in business, qualities that are lacking from this teams President.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The problem in Adirondack was missteps by management. Raising ticket prices on a fan base that is seeing its third new team in as many years and stepping down a league was an egregious mistake. The small staff is doing everything in their power to right Brian Petrovek's wrongs but its too deep a hole to climb out of this year. Petrovek is wildly unpopular with the fan base and sponsors. Many sponsors have pulled out and refuse to work with the team while he is in charge. Until Petrovek is replaced as President of The Adirondack Thunder the financial losses will continue to mount. The Glens Falls region is a small area that relies heavily on relationships and likability in business, qualities that are lacking from this teams President.

Petrovek is the single biggest jerk working in professional hockey at any level. I can only imagine how his personality is received by sponsors.

The only guy worse than him is now working as a "sports marketing consultant" after running every team he worked for into the ground.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

No way?!?!:sarcasm: There was a reason why Portland let out a huge cheer when he was bought out and kicked out of town. Ron Cain/Brad Church as completely rebuilt the damage and things are running as smooth as I've ever seen them at the CIA.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Petrovek is the single biggest jerk working in professional hockey at any level. I can only imagine how his personality is received by sponsors.

The only guy worse than him is now working as a "sports marketing consultant" after running every team he worked for into the ground.
I have about nine people on the Cumberland County Board of Trustees that could tell you what they think of him......

Elliot Williams

Oct 6, 2008
New Hampshire
The ECHL Manchester Monarchs have no interest anymore for dozens of fans like me. The players and those of the opponents are too far from the NHL, compared with the AHL Monarchs. Some but admittedly not all of us are not inclined to forgive the city for caving into the Kings (and the Monarchs' staff who kept their jobs!). They strung the city out until the last minute about whether or not to move the team to California, which they eventually did.

If the city had held its ground, we could have had an AHL team here next season.

Boston is less than 1 hour (about 45 minutes) from the Verizon Wireless Center. And this year you can have tickets to the NHL games for not all that much more than for the low-level ECHL. For NHL fans, the ECHL is no alternative.

Still, other posters are right. The 2/3rds of the crowd that attends the Monarchs just for the free gifts and for the entertainment value (there isn't much else to do in Manchester in the winter), are happy enough. Better than candlepin bowling.

But the 1/3 of the attendees who go to watch hockey, well, they have been supremely shortchanged. After all, we saw, like what? 7? 11? of the players who won the Stanley Cup for the Kings. Regularly!!

Can't beat that, and this ECHL Monarchs edition surely doesn't.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wish the ECHL would get off their high horse but I also admit I wouldn't enjoy AHL if my city had it. I actually enjoyed the UHL over either of these leagues. Maybe its that I couldn't give a rats ass about the NHL to begin with but I enjoyed that cores of teams stayed together and that their were rivalries. The NHL has ruined minor league hockey.

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
Ive been to quite a few Adirondack games this year and have been very happy with the product on the ice. The style of play is fast, physical and fun to watch.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Ive been to quite a few Adirondack games this year and have been very happy with the product on the ice. The style of play is fast, physical and fun to watch.

If they adjust the ticket prices there is no reason by next season Adirondack turns around to atleast middle of the road in ECHL attendance. I think Petrovek was totally wrong how he structured the seating and prices. Makes more sense to have over 3500 to 4000 fans paying a fair price of even just $15.00 for the game, then merchandise, and food then to have only 2000 fans attending at absurd prices for ECHL hockey. Petrovek not only jerked around Portland but he also played games down in Albany letting Albany believe the Pirates affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres were going to move to Albany and be named the Albany River Rats...Adirondack has much to look forward to next season, the ECHL All Star game will be a solid event for the region.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The ECHL Manchester Monarchs have no interest anymore for dozens of fans like me. The players and those of the opponents are too far from the NHL, compared with the AHL Monarchs. Some but admittedly not all of us are not inclined to forgive the city for caving into the Kings (and the Monarchs' staff who kept their jobs!). They strung the city out until the last minute about whether or not to move the team to California, which they eventually did.

If the city had held its ground, we could have had an AHL team here next season.

Boston is less than 1 hour (about 45 minutes) from the Verizon Wireless Center. And this year you can have tickets to the NHL games for not all that much more than for the low-level ECHL. For NHL fans, the ECHL is no alternative.

Still, other posters are right. The 2/3rds of the crowd that attends the Monarchs just for the free gifts and for the entertainment value (there isn't much else to do in Manchester in the winter), are happy enough. Better than candlepin bowling.

But the 1/3 of the attendees who go to watch hockey, well, they have been supremely shortchanged. After all, we saw, like what? 7? 11? of the players who won the Stanley Cup for the Kings. Regularly!!

Can't beat that, and this ECHL Monarchs edition surely doesn't.

which would I RATHER HAVE given the option to revisit the Pacific EXODUS Again, EW, IS to keep the LA affiliation in Manchester, something the Monarchs organization thought they were immune, it's a business, but be blessed, at least the AHL version of the Monarchs went out the way no one had believed when they were awarded said version. You could be Worcester's fanbase who's been burned twice and are awaiting a potential franchise. How would VWA look now if there wasn't an Ontario franchise if the Kings didn't already own the Reign.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
If they adjust the ticket prices there is no reason by next season Adirondack turns around to atleast middle of the road in ECHL attendance. I think Petrovek was totally wrong how he structured the seating and prices. Makes more sense to have over 3500 to 4000 fans paying a fair price of even just $15.00 for the game, then merchandise, and food then to have only 2000 fans attending at absurd prices for ECHL hockey.

I wouldn't say the prices are absurd. Just comparing to the Royals, Adirondack has season packages from $404 to $808, and the Royals have $275 to $864. The $275 seats in Reading are the upper end in the defensive end only. Aside from that the packages are pretty similar. I read an article recently that said the reason for the increase in Adirondack vs last year was mainly due to the county or arena imposing a $1 per ticket surcharge.

I will say I like the way the Royals lay out their packages relative to seating zones better. They used to do like Adirondack and price by section, but they switched it up a few years ago and priced more by distance from the ice. Glass seats are one price, the lower seats are the next price, and the upper rows are another price - with some lower priced rows on the upper ends.

Dead god there's still an ECHL All Star Game?

When they can find a team who is willing to host it, yes. It has been every two years recently, and the format is the home team vs the rest of the league to cut costs. All-star games are just for fun in all leagues and sports really, so nothing to complain about

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wouldn't say the prices are absurd. Just comparing to the Royals, Adirondack has season packages from $404 to $808, and the Royals have $275 to $864. The $275 seats in Reading are the upper end in the defensive end only. Aside from that the packages are pretty similar. I read an article recently that said the reason for the increase in Adirondack vs last year was mainly due to the county or arena imposing a $1 per ticket surcharge.

I will say I like the way the Royals lay out their packages relative to seating zones better. They used to do like Adirondack and price by section, but they switched it up a few years ago and priced more by distance from the ice. Glass seats are one price, the lower seats are the next price, and the upper rows are another price - with some lower priced rows on the upper ends.

When they can find a team who is willing to host it, yes. It has been every two years recently, and the format is the home team vs the rest of the league to cut costs. All-star games are just for fun in all leagues and sports really, so nothing to complain about

The rest of the league should dominate though I'm not a fan of how they pick the rosters. They don't necessarily pick the best players. They don't take vets really. The game just seems like a waste. To have a break for an exhibition that doesn't count just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if they went 3 on 3 it'd be intriguing.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The rest of the league should dominate though I'm not a fan of how they pick the rosters. They don't necessarily pick the best players. They don't take vets really. The game just seems like a waste. To have a break for an exhibition that doesn't count just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if they went 3 on 3 it'd be intriguing.

They take the same break regardless of whether they play the game or not. They still have to have a league meeting, and with several team employees out of town it would be difficult to put on games. It is only a four day break, Mon-Thurs. When they hold the game it is typically skills on Tuesday, game on Wednesday, players travel back on Thursday, and regular games resume on Friday.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
They might just do a 3 on 3 format. I looked on the 3 on 3 at first with total disgust but I have to say after yesterday I loved it. I really dig the tournament style mini team divisional format. It was a hit in terms of TV ratings for the NHL not to mention the John Scott backstory made for an epic NHL All Star game. I thought the AHL Skills competition in Syracuse last night was freaking boring. Most buildings in the ECHL are light years ahead of Syracuse. Historic value nothing, that building in Syracuse looks awful on television. The AHL looked bush league last night as compared to the ECHL hosting their ASG down in Orlando in a major league building..

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They take the same break regardless of whether they play the game or not. They still have to have a league meeting, and with several team employees out of town it would be difficult to put on games. It is only a four day break, Mon-Thurs. When they hold the game it is typically skills on Tuesday, game on Wednesday, players travel back on Thursday, and regular games resume on Friday.

Never understood why they need a league meeting in season when there's one after the season.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They might just do a 3 on 3 format. I looked on the 3 on 3 at first with total disgust but I have to say after yesterday I loved it. I really dig the tournament style mini team divisional format. It was a hit in terms of TV ratings for the NHL not to mention the John Scott backstory made for an epic NHL All Star game. I thought the AHL Skills competition in Syracuse last night was freaking boring. Most buildings in the ECHL are light years ahead of Syracuse. Historic value nothing, that building in Syracuse looks awful on television. The AHL looked bush league last night as compared to the ECHL hosting their ASG down in Orlando in a major league building..

The building is a dump. Its old.

Didn't really care or watch but it seemed disappointing. A 1-0 final in the last game? Weak.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Never understood why they need a league meeting in season when there's one after the season.

For one thing, this is the meeting where they (usually) decide which teams are in and which teams are out for next year. If they can have new teams approved by February, and any relocations or suspensions/folds finalized, then they have plenty of time to get the schedule out by the end of the season, and teams can start working on selling tickets for next year. If they wait until May/June to have the meetings it really puts teams in a time crunch to get the schedule done and start making plans for next season.

Plus, if there is a reason they have to extend the deadline (which they have done many times) at least there is still a chance to get everything settled by the summer. If they waited until the off season to start working on next year, they would have situations like 2014-2015 every year, with teams being added at the last minute, reworking the schedule, unbalanced divisions, etc.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
For one thing, this is the meeting where they (usually) decide which teams are in and which teams are out for next year. If they can have new teams approved by February, and any relocations or suspensions/folds finalized, then they have plenty of time to get the schedule out by the end of the season, and teams can start working on selling tickets for next year. If they wait until May/June to have the meetings it really puts teams in a time crunch to get the schedule done and start making plans for next season.

Plus, if there is a reason they have to extend the deadline (which they have done many times) at least there is still a chance to get everything settled by the summer. If they waited until the off season to start working on next year, they would have situations like 2014-2015 every year, with teams being added at the last minute, reworking the schedule, unbalanced divisions, etc.

Last year was out of their hands as the whole AHL West happened. When the arena fiasco went on Herr this was around the time the stuff became public so there was no way they knew what to do. Heck they didn't even really know in the fall to a degree. Minor league hockey weird stuff happens. The Brampton thing isn't supposed to happen until May. Don't think you'll see any expansion. They've reworked the schedule in the fall before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad