Confirmed with Link: Addison traded to Sharks for '26 5th and Adam Raska

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm having trouble finding the source using those keywords. I'm actually interested, looking from retrospective standpoint. Do you have the article/tweet to share?

SHARES
ShareTweet

Entering the 2022-23 NHL season, Calen Addison was viewed as a future staple on the top-4 of the Minnesota Wild’s roster. But 56 games in, and with the trade deadline looming on March 3, the conversation has been turned upside down.

The Wild will play at home vs the Kevin Fiala and the LA Kings on Tuesday night and Addison will be a healthy scratch for the fourth-straight game.

Calen Addison isn’t the only Wild rookie who has struggled in his debut 2023 season and spent time in the press box because of it. Marco Rossi got the same treatment earlier this season, before he was sent down to Iowa to get his game right.

Uncoachable Calen Addison?​

But this situation feels different, mostly due to Addison’s attitude. Rossi knew he was playing poorly and that his confidence had taken a hit. Calen, on the other hand, has voiced his confusion over why he is getting scratched and scolded.

But there’s clearly something brewing here between the coaching staff and the rookie defenseman, who has been a spark for the power play but struggles in his own end. The fact this was the second time Addison has been sat over a three-month span means it’s a recurring problem; in December it was for just one game. And it seems as though Addison doesn’t completely agree with the coach’s assessment. Coaches told him he was playing “scared,” and not engaging.
“I’m not scared out there,” Addison said.

If Addison is watching Spurgeon, that’s one thing. But he’s surely not fully taking advantage of a potential goldmine of a resource.

“He never really comes over to ask anything,” Spurgeon said.

Spurgeon wasn’t being critical. He did say he’s talked with Addison on a number of occasions, pointing out things in practice and stuff like that. He brought up issues he himself had in his first few seasons.
Some fans see this as uncoachable or Addison thinking he knows better.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Some fans see this as uncoachable or Addison thinking he knows better.
Just for clarification, the article posted is different that the Athletic, its written by an Eric Strack?

Not trying to nitpick, I just thought the word "uncoachable" was rather strong and didn't feel part of a Russo article. Also a term, I wouldn't necessary agree with because it so definite ... like you do all the extra effort in trying to coach him and he just won't accept it. I think Russo's article, and a situation I think was the case, was that Addison doesn't completely agree with his coaches assessment. He's a "harder to coach" player, perhaps not "uncoachable". It may seem nitpicky but I do see a difference. One is a lost cause, one requires more work.

But yeah, Addison was a player that had his faults pointed out and struggled to fix them during his tenure here. Perhaps another coach could "coach" him better, pick the right pressure points.

Per Russo article: "But there’s clearly something brewing here between the coaching staff and the rookie defenseman, who has been a spark for the power play but struggles in his own end. The fact this was the second time Addison has been sat over a three-month span means it’s a recurring problem; in December it was for just one game. And it seems as though Addison doesn’t completely agree with the coach’s assessment. Coaches told him he was playing “scared,” and not engaging." “I’m not scared out there,” Addison said.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wouldn't the coaching staff actually have to do some coaching before labeling a guy uncoachable?

Not knowing why he got benched (it happened to Rossi last year too) and "talk to another player" is a piss poor job of coaching. It might as well have been playing a video game and being told "get gud."

Addison was as good as gone as soon as he didn't sign his QO. Now it's just more of the same bad press about a guy they got rid of to help justify it. Same as Fiala, Staal, Parise/Suter, etc.

I don't care that Addison was traded and am men about the return. I had him at around a 4th round value before the season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wouldn't the coaching staff actually have to do some coaching before labeling a guy uncoachable?

Not knowing why he got benched (it happened to Rossi last year too) and "talk to another player" is a piss poor job of coaching. It might as well have been playing a video game and being told "get gud."

Addison was as good as gone as soon as he didn't sign his QO. Now it's just more of the same bad press about a guy they got rid of to help justify it. Same as Fiala, Staal, Parise/Suter, etc.

I don't care that Addison was traded and am men about the return. I had him at around a 4th round value before the season.
To be fair, those articles are from last season. No bad press after the fact as of yet, people just trying to analyze last year's press.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think he just doesn't have the mental makeup for defense. He looks like he's constantly panicking defensively. It must be mentally exhausting through an entire game.
I say this not to be mean or pile on him, but he seems like he could have a good career in professional Bowling. He demonstrates good hands and extremely consistent muscle movement in his passing technique that probably translates very well. I would say golf too but he doesn’t have the height and that sport is mostly mental at the top level.

• Haha
Reactions: Sweetnut

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

I disagree with this assessment.

I see absolutely no reason why anybody shouldn't use provided resources. Who would you go to for a resource for an undersized defensemen? Is Spurgeon not a good resource? If you're playing a Paladin in BG3, would you try to give advice if you're a bard? Or would you tell them to go ask someone that's played a paladin really well?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im 100% team addison, guerin lowballed fiala & addison but rewarded the good ole boyz. im guessing addison was NOT a happy camper after his offer. guerin's mistake was not trading him sooner if he knew he was going to lowball him. also if D was such an issue why not send him to iowa for more coaching? at first guerin was making calm rational calculated decisions now im guessing hes really a hot head. remember when he got mad / upset at russo for asking about fiala!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
also if D was such an issue why not send him to iowa for more coaching?

I think that's the rub for some people, isn't it? We have a coach who notoriously does very little actual coaching. He benched Addison and told him to go talk to Spurgeon to improve his game.

But Evason also said they saw some good improvement with Addison, but they still gave up on him in favor of "leadership" and "locker room" and "grit" and "size" and "toughness". It's a problem that's not going to go away as long as Evason and Guerin are in charge of this team.

Reactions: keppel146

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I disagree with this assessment.

I see absolutely no reason why anybody shouldn't use provided resources. Who would you go to for a resource for an undersized defensemen? Is Spurgeon not a good resource? If you're playing a Paladin in BG3, would you try to give advice if you're a bard? Or would you tell them to go ask someone that's played a paladin really well?

A good player does not mean he is a good coach.

Spurgeon is a resource, yes, but he's still a player. He can give advice and will notice some things in Addison's game, but not to the extent that a coach that should.

The coach be the one going over the video with Addison in what he's doing right and wrong. The coach should be the one on the ice correcting things in practice and morning skates. But this in MN coaching staff that doesn't do practices or show up for the optional morning skates.

I have 0 faith in this coaching staff doing much of anything. They are the ones that just gave up on trying to run a PP unit, and just sent normal lines out there instead of trying a new setup when things don't work. The lack of practices and no morning skates has been noted many times. It's like pulling teeth from a rabid horse to get them to even consider any lineup changes that aren't injury forced.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
also if D was such an issue why not send him to iowa for more coaching?

According to BGs comments, it sounds like they came to the realization that Addison won't get any better than he is right now. He's essentially a "tweener". Undersized. Average offensively, and sub-par defensively. A good skater, but gets outmuscled on the puck and not great on the breakout.

Maybe someone can bring up his 5v5 numbers, but I'm willing to bet they won't jump out at you...His only real value is that on the power play, but he hasn't even been on that the past few games.

He's can't play above Faber and Spurgeon at RD....do we really want another undersized RD playing on the 3rd pairing?

Now if they can just figure out a way to move Merrill as well.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
According to BGs comments, it sounds like they came to the realization that Addison won't get any better than he is right now. He's essentially a "tweener". Undersized. Average offensively, and sub-par defensively. A good skater, but gets outmuscled on the puck and not great on the breakout.

Maybe someone can bring up his 5v5 numbers, but I'm willing to bet they won't jump out at you...His only real value is that on the power play, but he hasn't even been on that the past few games.

He's can't play above Faber and Spurgeon at RD....do we really want another undersized RD playing on the 3rd pairing?

Now if they can just figure out a way to move Merrill as well.
I looked at his 5v5 numbers, they are truly abysmal when you factor in his usage and offensive zone time. In the most telling stat, last season his 5v5 On Ice Sv% was nearly 3 full percentage points lower than the next lowest guy. 88% vs the rest of our top 5 being 92% or higher. Gus said the biggest thing for his success last year was the play of the defensemen in front of him allowing him to focus on the 1 on 1 situations. One of our players was clearly not on the same page with the goalies as the rest of our D corps. This trended continued into this season as well just as glaringly.

Reactions: MuckOG

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The Sharks must really suck when Addison gets top pair minutes...
Oh yeah...they're 1-10-0 lol

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
do we really want another undersized RD playing on the 3rd pairing?

Don't really care about his size. Merrill is big and sucks. Middleton is big and sucks. Size has no bearing on ability, and tbh I'm pretty sick of prioritizing size over most other attributes. The only players on this team under 6' that play a regular shift are Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Rossi, Spurgeon and Dewar. That's only 5 of 18 skaters any given night that are "undersized", and we're not any better off for it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Don't really care about his size. Merrill is big and sucks. Middleton is big and sucks. Size has no bearing on ability, and tbh I'm pretty sick of prioritizing size over most other attributes. The only players on this team under 6' that play a regular shift are Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Rossi, Spurgeon and Dewar. That's only 5 of 18 skaters any given night that are "undersized", and we're not any better off for it.

Ok. Leave size out of it. What part of Addison's game stands out to you? Where does he excel?

I agree that Merrill sucks. I dont agree that Middleton does.

Reactions: GordieGallant

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ok. Leave size out of it. What part of Addison's game stands out to you?

You were the one that brought up size. I replied to your post talking about size. Why would I leave size out of it? My entire response was about how I don't care about size.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You were the one that brought up size. I replied to your post talking about size. Why would I leave size out of it? My entire response was about how I don't care about size.

That's why I said leave size out of it, for the sake of argument. If you think it was a bad idea to move Addison, tell us why we should've kept him. Where does he contribute?

I don't think size is irrelevant. If you are a smallish player, you better be able to contribute in other ways. Spurgeon is small, but is still solid in the defensive zone. Dewar is small, but still plays a rough, grinder role and is a solid PKer. Middleton has size, isn't great offensively, but can still deliver punishing hits and plays well enough in the defensive zone.

How can you not factor size into the equation?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's why I said leave size out of it, for the sake of argument. If you think it was a bad idea to move Addison, tell us why we should've kept him. Where does he contribute?

I don't think size is irrelevant. If you are a smallish player, you better be able to contribute in other ways. Spurgeon is small, but is still solid in the defensive zone. Dewar is small, but still plays a rough, grinder role.

I didn't say it was a bad move to trade Addison, or that we should have kept him. I said I don't care if the guy on the third pair is "undersized" (5'11), because this team has plenty of size, and size alone gets you nowhere.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I don't think size is irrelevant. If you are a smallish player, you better be able to contribute in other ways. Spurgeon is small, but is still solid in the defensive zone. Dewar is small, but still plays a rough, grinder role. Middleton has size, isn't great offensively, but can still deliver punishing hits and plays well enough in the defensive zone.
I think I've only seen a single post defending Addison, the rest are rather "meh" on it. It was clear he wasn't going to succeed here. The only problem with the deal is not bailing on him before the bottom dropped out on his value. He needed to be moved either before last deadline or at least in this past offseason.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think I've only seen a single post defending Addison, the rest are rather "meh" on it. It was clear he wasn't going to succeed here. The only problem with the deal is not bailing on him before the bottom dropped out on his value. He needed to be moved either before last deadline or at least in this past offseason.
That's the post I was responding to.

The Wild were looking to move Addison in the offseason, sounds like there were no takers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's the post I was responding to.

The Wild were looking to move Addison in the offseason, sounds like there were no takers.
They probably thought at the time that they could get more than they were asking at the time, and now his value is sunk even more and they were just throwing their hands up this time.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
To be fair, those articles are from last season. No bad press after the fact as of yet, people just trying to analyze last year's press.
Also he did get the message after he was scratched a few times.

I also think his statements right now shouldn't be taken out of context, he basically said what most players say when they get traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad