Proposal: Adding Jagr or Jokinen

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
28 minor penalties in 82 games is far less than 1 per game. It is quite a bit, but far less than every game. Wheeler took 21, for reference. That's maybe 2 extra goals against. I'd wager he adds more than 2 G in the offensive end versus someone like Armia or Matthias.

Also, it would be cool as ****. And mullets.

That's a lot of calls for what he brings to the table. He also does it constantly and could be called for lot more.

If you put him to 3rd line he's not going to provide much offense and will allow more goals against than Armia.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I'm only against Jagr coming here because I do not believe he will have the same facilities and the like in Winnipeg that he had in Florida to stay in game shape.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I'm only against Jagr coming here because I do not believe he will have the same facilities and the like in Winnipeg that he had in Florida to stay in game shape.

Okay, I keep hearing this and I just honestly don't know, but that sounds so absurd and I need to know - what facilities are NHL players being given in other markets that the Jets aren't making available for their players?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd be happy to sign Jagr - he's a legend and still a good player
Doubt he'd agree to sign here though

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That's super cool, but are any NHL teams making this available to their players? :naughty:

:laugh: :shakehead

Since it's fantasy hockey, how about Kovalchuk?

Kovalchuk and Laine on the PP :amazed:

We'd have to give up assets to get him, but depending on price and the term he would be looking for, I'd be down.

IIRC In season one when we were booing all top players, he said the people of Winnipeg shouldn't boo him, because his actions may have helped the thrashers move. :laugh:

I've always liked him since he said that.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not to mention if signed, Jagr would go into the record books (all time games played) as a member of the Jets. He would need to play 57 games to surpass Gordie Howe.

All that said, he probably isn't the greatest fit although I'd probably still be syked about it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Joe Thornton was my "splurge on a vet for 1 year" guy. But I could get behind Jagr. My only concern is that many Florida fans claim he can't skate anymore and his numbers are a result of playing with guys like Barkov and Huberdeau, I haven't done a deep-dive into his numbers to confirm if that is the case or not.

I am all in favor or putting all that extra capspace to use. In addition to Jokinen and Jagr, the Jets should also consider Andrei Markov.

What facilities could one possibly need to stay in shape that are avaialable in Miami but not it Winnipeg? All you need is a bunch of weights, a treadmill/bike and maybe a swimming pool. Avaialble in pretty much every part of North America

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I would like for Jagr to be considered, it is a nice thought. But the truth is he will not be signed here. He isn't a top six guy any longer and would likely be a third liner here. Chevy and Mo are all about giving shots internally and you have to figure Connor or even Roslovic enter in to that top nine at some point. Coaches may give the likes of Connor top six minutes which would likely bump Perreault to third line. Dano was likely protected via Thorburn/draft pick trade so there is an investment there, so he sticks in bottom six. Armia has shown he will stay. Lowry is not going anywhere from that third line. Mathias has proven to be servicable and can interchange third & forth line. And Copp is better than many people give credit for and holds down the fourth line center spot. Add Petan into bottom six mix, who is working to get out of the AHL permanently.

On top of that, there may be a couple wild cards on the Moose who may even slot in. It would be nice to have Jagr but he isn't coming.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Big no to Jagr if you want to make the playoffs. He's entertaining to watch, still has his great offensive skills, but the guy is too slow and simply can't keep up with the game anymore and has been carried around by Barkov these past years. Doesn't bring anything positive to the team if your goal is to win.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Big no to Jagr if you want to make the playoffs. He's entertaining to watch, still has his great offensive skills, but the guy is too slow and simply can't keep up with the game anymore and has been carried around by Barkov these past years. Doesn't bring anything positive to the team if your goal is to win.

I mean he would be a great mentor, and could teach a lot from puck protection to Laine.

But he's not good enough for Jets top6 and you can't play him in your 3rd line.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm guessing Jagr would generate about 2M$ in Jets merchandising at least! Although I think revenues are pooled.

randymarsh

Jan 4, 2017
No to Jagr, love Jagr total legend but Florida cut ties for a reason - he slows down the attack and we don't need another Stafford blocking a spot for a younger player.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Ignila should be the only one they consider. His compete is still 100% and plays a physical game. Would be great mentor for the youngins. 1 yr @ 1M would be fantastic. Would also allow another year of grooming for Connor and Roslo.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ignila should be the only one they consider. His compete is still 100% and plays a physical game. Would be great mentor for the youngins. 1 yr @ 1M would be fantastic. Would also allow another year of grooming for Connor and Roslo.

TSN briefly discussed 3 hypothetical signing options (Vets on 1 year deals)

- Jagr
- Iginla
- Doan

A Frolik type (style - defense with some offense) to boost the 3rd line would be good (if it worked in the contract / waiver plan)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Since it's fantasy hockey, how about Kovalchuk?

Kovalchuk and Laine on the PP :amazed:

Wouldn't touch Kovalchuk with a really long pole. That guy is the worst primadonna in hockey and cancer for the team, and his career is anyway going downhill. Also he is a guy who fades completely in the biggest games. Usually Kovalchuk and Ovechkin being in the Russian national team was a sure guaranteed win for the Finnish national team in the deciding big game of any international tournament, even how weak our national team roster was in that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad