Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
This would have not been an issue if the club signed him. My guess is they probably weren't going to as he was a high pick and not signed yet. Good move by him and maybe the Panthers for both to move on IMO.

Lol....

They tried hard to sign him and always spoke highly of him. Bryan McCabe, our director of player development, said on radio a few months ago:

"I don't know if I've ever seen anyone shoot the puck like he does at the junior level from a stand-still. It is hard and accurate. He’s a really creative player, and he’s got great numbers, maybe not the numbers he had last year, but the one that sticks out to me is the way he is competing away from the puck this year."

So yeah, this had absolutely nothing to do with the Panthers not wanting him and probably everything to do with him not wanting to sign.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Can someone explain why he's necessarily going to be a late pick if he re-enters the draft?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Historically most draft picks that reenter the draft after refusing to sign with the original drafting team get picked lower than the first time.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Historically most draft picks that reenter the draft after refusing to sign with the original drafting team get picked lower than the first time.
But are those cases similar to this one? Were they originally high picks who didn't want to sign? (It seems the Panthers would like to have him signed, and thus the onus is on AM.)

Refusing to go with a team doesn't seem to work out great, I agree with that. But is this case the norm or the exception?

In the end, it doesn't matter.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Can someone explain why he's necessarily going to be a late pick if he re-enters the draft?
That's baloney.

The theory is that the GM's in collusion want to punish a guy for not signing his elc with the team that drafted him to discourage similar behavior in the future. It's the same principal as offer sheets except offer sheet guys are a known NHL quantity and 99% of GM's take a hands off approach to stealing another teams star players.

Mascherin IMO will have no problem matching or bettering his draft position should no one make the Cats a viable offer. As I previously said, Tallon and the Committee should vote to only accept a minimum of a similar draft pick or better (#38) or take a combination of a low 2nd and 3rd. What we don't want is someone handing us a Gregg McKegg whose ceiling is the AHL with a few NHL games in between. IMO, Mascherin has his sights set on the Leafs and vice versa. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
IMO, Mascherin has his sights set on the Leafs and vice versa. :)

Because the Cats will be competing with the Leafs into the foreseeable future, it would be best to trade him to the tirefire a.k.a. le Habs even if the return is a 4th/5th round pick... and it also sends a message to the other draftees who wanna pull some similar shit with the Cats.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If he makes it to the draft he will not be picked before #38.
Okay, then #39 or 40. Can you name me anyone recently drafted 45th overall or better that has re-entered and fallen off a cliff. The reason is most drafted players who refuse to sign are from Europe and choose to stay overseas.

It's likely not going to come to that anyway as it will be a game of chicken right up until the last day if the Leafs don't cough up. Someone else will offer the Cats a low 2nd and Adam's agent will get an elc signed before taking a chance that some bottom feeder that he doesn't want to go to will pick him up if he chooses to re-enter. :)

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Okay, then #39 or 40. Can you name me anyone recently drafted 45th overall or better that has re-entered and fallen off a cliff. The reason is most drafted players who refuse to sign are from Europe and choose to stay overseas.

It's likely not going to come to that anyway as it will be a game of chicken right up until the last day if the Leafs don't cough up. Someone else will offer the Cats a low 2nd and Adam's agent will get an elc signed before taking a chance that some bottom feeder that he doesn't want to go to will pick him up if he chooses to re-enter. :)
The thing about Mascherin that will intregue many people is the fact that he's two years along as a prospect.

A team like Nashville or PITT should jump at the chance to trade for him.

Skips two years of developing a player who is very worthy of his draft spot

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Because the Cats will be competing with the Leafs into the foreseeable future, it would be best to trade him to the tirefire a.k.a. le Habs even if the return is a 4th/5th round pick... and it also sends a message to the other draftees who wanna pull some similar **** with the Cats.
Yeah, I could see that happening with the Tallon/Bergevin relationship but only for a high 2nd round pick. The Habs have 4 second round picks including their own and the Hawks. I could see them forking over one of those for Mascherin as they need a sniper plus centers. It certainly would stick a knife in the Leafs and Mascherin's plans and force Adam to learn fluent French. :laugh:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The thing about Mascherin that will intregue many people is the fact that he's two years along as a prospect.

A team like Nashville or PITT should jump at the chance to trade for him.

Skips two years of developing a player who is very worthy of his draft spot
Neither has a 2nd round pick this year nor do they have any valuable prospects that aren't already in the NHL. I don't see the Cats accepting any picks later than 2018 as the development curve is too long. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
its one thing when someone like a hyman doesnt sign, sucks but whatever, but here its someone who was drafted in teh top-40, let him develop for two years, and right before hes developed and about to go pro he doesnt sign and we lose him, most likely, for nearly nothing. thats shitty. if you get drafted, espeically high, you should have a moral obligation to stick with them, espeically if theyre trying to sign you. if theyre going to be selective at least do it at the draft, it sucks and you sound like a dick but at least youre being up front and you dont f*** a team over. hes still most likely have to play some time in the ahl anyways, so idk what hes expecting.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The biggest name top 40 overall to take his lunchbox elsewhere was Lindros. Quebec ended up with Forsberg and a boatload of talent and the Flyers got the future HOF'r and a guy who produced more than a pt per game in his career. Funny, one of the reasons he wouldn't sign with Quebec was the French culture but in 2012 he ends up marrying a French Canadian and naming his first born Carl Pierre. Mother Karma paid him a visit many times in the form of knucklehead Scott Stevens. ;)

ps: Bryan Berard is the latest to request a trade from the team that drafted him #1 overall as he was sent to the Isles along with Martin Straka for Wade Redden and Damien Rhodes. Sadly, he had a severe eye injury from the stick of Hossa just five years into his career but did come back to play successfully.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If the Leafs are truly interested in the rights to LW Mascherin to replace James Van Reimsdyk (who will likely collect $6.5M ++ in UFA) then they have some tough decisions to make on what to offer the Cats. The Cats would likely not be interested in paying JVR the $$$ he will get in a bidding war, so whats left?
  1. Leafs 1st pick in 2018 which will likely fall between 20-31.
  2. Leafs 2nd/3rd round picks which will both be late round
  3. Connor Brown who is the 3RW and is a productive 2 way player
  4. Kasperi Kapanen who is presently the 4RW and is predictably not producing as a 4th liner.
Kapanen is not going to be happy playing in the future on the 4th line and neither will Brown. Brown is the better NHL player at this time but Kapanen projects as a top 6 RW. Kapanen has little future with the Leafs as a top 6 RW as he will always be behind Marner and Nylander.

Thoughts? :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If the Leafs are truly interested in the rights to LW Mascherin to replace James Van Reimsdyk (who will likely collect $6.5M ++ in UFA) then they have some tough decisions to make on what to offer the Cats. The Cats would likely not be interested in paying JVR the $$$ he will get in a bidding war, so whats left?
  1. Leafs 1st pick in 2018 which will likely fall between 20-31.
  2. Leafs 2nd/3rd round picks which will both be late round
  3. Connor Brown who is the 3RW and is a productive 2 way player
  4. Kasperi Kapanen who is presently the 4RW and is predictably not producing as a 4th liner.
Kapanen is not going to be happy playing in the future on the 4th line and neither will Brown. Brown is the better NHL player at this time but Kapanen projects as a top 6 RW. Kapanen has little future with the Leafs as a top 6 RW as he will always be behind Marner and Nylander.

Thoughts? :)
Your theory that he's only going to sign with Toronto makes no sense, their winger depth is an even bigger hill to climb than what Florida has. Besides he can't demand only one team, because the Panthers can just let him re-enter the draft and chances are one of 29 other teams might pick him instead, his agent has to know that. This isn't an NCAA free agent scenario where the player can hand pick the team he wants.

If it's opportunity that Mascherin wants, he's going to push for a deal (sign & trade) with one of the weaker teams in the league. Montreal, Vancouver, Buffalo, Detroit, etc.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Your theory that he's only going to sign with Toronto makes no sense, their winger depth is an even bigger hill to climb than what Florida has.
Couldn't disagree more.

2LW Marleau is almost 39 yrs old and 3LW JVR is as good as gone. Sure it's possible to move a RH shot over to the LW but it takes a special player to adapt and succeed. The Leafs have little in the way of depth at the LW.

Of course he can't demand anything but he and his agent can do what any intelligent tandem would do and that's ask the Cats for permission to talk with various teams about signing and reimbursement. The Cats would be stoopid not to listen to what is out there rather than lose him for nothing. It's as close as you can get to the NCAA UFA and all you have to do is look at the fact there can be a bidding war albeit minor compared to Lindros and Berard. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Couldn't disagree more.

2LW Marleau is almost 39 yrs old and 3LW JVR is as good as gone. Sure it's possible to move a RH shot over to the LW but it takes a special player to adapt and succeed. The Leafs have little in the way of depth at the LW.

Of course he can't demand anything but he and his agent can do what any intelligent tandem would do and that's ask the Cats for permission to talk with various teams about signing and reimbursement. The Cats would be stoopid not to listen to what is out there rather than lose him for nothing. It's as close as you can get to the NCAA UFA and all you have to do is look at the fact there can be a bidding war albeit minor compared to Lindros and Berard. :)
Look at their AHL roster (without even going into the prospects they still have in the CHL/NCAA/Europe), the Marlies roster is stacked with forward prospects that are on par or better than Mascherin.

If he doesn't want to sign with the Panthers because it's a tough road from Springfield to the big league, good luck with that. Along with an organizational culture where they don't take anything for granted.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well Andreas Johnsson is tearing it up in the AHL and would certainly be ahead of Mascherin on the depth chart for JVR's job next season. That still leaves Marleau (who would only cost them around $400K X 2 if bought out in 2019). There is little else in their prospect pool that looks to be on par with Mascherin to take the 2 or 3LW in 2019. I'm sticking with my guns that he is a priority for the Leafs.

I also don't rule out the fact that Mascherin could still end up signing with the Cats. Nothing is etched in stone until a transaction is processed or an ELC signed. This could all be smoke and mirrors to see what his other options are.:)

Last edited:

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Have the Panthers made any public statement concerning this situation? Have any of the reporters that cover the team even asked them about it? Even if they have been asked, I imagine they'll remain silent about it until they either announce a trade or that he has signed. Maybe this is an attempt by Mascherin to get a better offer from FL. I've only seen highlight reel goals and assists by Mascherin, beyond that I have no idea how good he is, but something made FL hesitate even before he injured his shoulder.
I would do that deal if Toronto would give up Kapanen or Brown for him, or a solid D prospect from someone might be an even better return. Does AZ have another 2nd rounder this year from other trades they've made this year? Edmonton, Buffalo, and Montreal seemingly are other possibilities to recoup an early round second for him. Is a very offensively talented kid showing signs of a possible diva complex worth that?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Have the Panthers made any public statement concerning this situation? Have any of the reporters that cover the team even asked them about it? Even if they have been asked, I imagine they'll remain silent about it until they either announce a trade or that he has signed. Maybe this is an attempt by Mascherin to get a better offer from FL. I've only seen highlight reel goals and assists by Mascherin, beyond that I have no idea how good he is, but something made FL hesitate even before he injured his shoulder.
I would do that deal if Toronto would give up Kapanen or Brown for him, or a solid D prospect from someone might be an even better return. Does AZ have another 2nd rounder this year from other trades they've made this year? Edmonton, Buffalo, and Montreal seemingly are other possibilities to recoup an early round second for him. Is a very offensively talented kid showing signs of a possible diva complex worth that?
No statement from the Cats.

I'm sure Tallon will comment at his next press conference which will likely come once the Cats are either in or out of the playoffs. Not much he can say other than they are disappointed and will do what they can to get the best compensation possible.

I doubt AZ is interested in doing anymore deals with the Cats. I'm sure they feel they have been burned twice with Crouse and Demers. I don't think the Cats have hesitated. IMO, I would bet they made him a fair offer before he was injured and he turned his nose up as he wanted better incentive bonus money. I think the Cats were disappointed he didn't have surgery right after the injury and because of that he wasn't cleared medically for contact until camp was almost over. He really didn't start playing well until about the middle or end of October as the shoulder was likely tender. No way could he compete for an NHL job this season in that condition. Going back to juniors was his only option because of the end of April surgery.

He is a diva, but there should be a few teams that will take a flyer on him with a second round pick at 45 or better. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad