Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
if u think all those guys u mentioned after huby and dads represent tough competition then he literally can't go to almost any top 9 in the nhl. (which I legitimately think he cant). he's at best a top 9 guy on a weak winger team, but we are a weak winger team. it was depressing for me watching u list all those guys after the top 2. we really don't have much top quality winger talent. the only one u metioned that I like at all is hepo and he seems to have dropped off a cliff production-wise and is a toothpick so he's a major years long project. I don't think we'll sign a big name free agent winger or we wouldn't have done what we did in the expansion draft. winger help is only coming from within and we're kinda without....
I think at the very least he's the fourth best forward prospect and there aren't that many spots available for him to get in the top 6. Maybe at another organization he'd be a higher ranked prospect.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I think he's second behind hepo and would make it quicker to the nhl just size-wise. that should tell u what I think of our fwd prospects.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
What would it take to trade for Mascherin? What is the ask from Florida?
You guys have to ask? I would say there is a very good chance of it happening and here's why.

Hyman was our draft pick and he was from Toronto area. Elected not to sign with the Cats after 4 yrs at Michigan and shock upon shock the Leafs end up trading that stiff McKegg to us for his rights. Hyman's father is a well known hockey mogel investigated in 2004 for charging double the fees for players on his close to 100 junior hockey teams. He ultimately had to divest himself of 90 of those teams and received close to $300K average for each team. Zach ended up playing for the father owned Hamilton Red Wings where he had fallen out of the top 210 ranked CSS players for the 2010 draft. A few weeks before the draft his dad purchased ISS which had Zach ranked 120th. He was ultimately drafted by the Cats in the 5th round and Scott Luce said it was the Cats due diligence that got him drafted.:laugh: Scott Luce, Dale Tallon and due diligence in the same sentence?

Getting back to the Toronto based Masherin. His agent is the same as Zach Hyman's. Any more questions? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakeybonz

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Question:
What is with all that Back moveing rumor? Since Bob younger Brother told Mascherin you better know what you do, otherwise you could and up with the same Team under badder Condition and Situation.
Is this a fluke from MacKenzie family try to calm down a Situation who could end ugly in different Ways?

So is there any Chance that Mascherin try to stay with the Team, or is this only a rumor spreading?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Question:
What is with all that Back moveing rumor? Since Bob younger Brother told Mascherin you better know what you do, otherwise you could and up with the same Team under badder Condition and Situation.
Is this a fluke from MacKenzie family try to calm down a Situation who could end ugly in different Ways?

So is there any Chance that Mascherin try to stay with the Team, or is this only a rumor spreading?
It's Bob's son Mike that is the GM for Kitchner. There was no indication that Adam has changed his mind......just that Bob thought he should think about it since he will likely end up being drafted lower and have a smaller contract than what the Cats offered him. IMO, somebody (maybe his agent) could have told him the Leafs were interested a few months ago. Things have changed dramatically in Leaf land with the departures of Lamoriello/Hunter, so that may not be the case anymore. Adam with his prima dona attitude has raised red flags around the league, so he may have categorized himself as a malcontent. Teams don't like players that disturb locker-room chemistry.

Would the Cats sign him if he changed his mind? That's a good question since "character" is supposedly important to Tallon and Adam has fallen down the rabbits hole in that area. I originally thought he could garner us a pick equal to his draft position at #38. I think that's off the table at this point and who knows where he will end up. If anyone offers us anything it will likely be the Leafs and it will be a crap AHL player or some other team that will roll the dice for a 4th or 5th round pick.

Incidentally, Adam is not the only guy refusing to sign with the team that drafted him. Hudson Elynuik who will go back in the draft was drafted by the Canes in the 3rd round and put up two very nice years with the Spokane Chiefs of 73 and 86 pts. He is a 6'5"/195 lb Center and teams are likely drooling over him since Centers are in high demand. He is a slightly smaller version of Nick. :)

NHL Rumors: Devils and Yakovlev ... Panthers and Mascherin ... Coyotes and OEL, Team Needs

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
its seriously amazing how tallons bad pick (debrincat was obvious) doesn't just end there, it turns into a whole mess with not even being able to sign the bad pick. tallons gifts just keep on giving. he is such a dumpster that is on fire.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
its seriously amazing how tallons bad pick (debrincat was obvious) doesn't just end there, it turns into a whole mess with not even being able to sign the bad pick. tallons gifts just keep on giving. he is such a dumpster that is on fire.

No one could knowen that mascherin doesnt have enough Snickers to eat. Who in the World can do something about Hurricans.

@Brokin
That´s why i asked. I saw the same news,rumors on this Page. When the Father of the not news of my Son says, as the most relaible source around the League. Be aware you could end up in a bad Situation, maybe on the same Team.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
2016 was the computer boys draft..

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Maybe they could do something unconventional and try and parlay these rights into an upgrade. Say Macherin’s rights +a player to Dallas for the rights to Nuke. Maybe he’s not in their plans anymore and a change of scenery is in order.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
2016 was the computer boys draft..
oh right true. lol I'm just so used to every f***up being tallons. do we know if he played any role in that draft as prez of hockey ops or whatever bogus title they gave him? if not, then this is the one move I was really against the computer boys on. most of their others were hits for me. not sure if gallant was more owners or comp boys so that I gotta reserve judgement. demers I didn't like but it was understandable at the time. the rest I was pretty much in favor of.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^^^

in my opinion tallon and the computer boys have had descent drafts if not very good drafts. I swear people forget the days of prospects that never made a true dent
Yeah they've had decent drafts but they haven't been able to parley present top 6 guys like Donskoi or Hyman into playing for them. Mascherin walking possibly continues to send a message to other players this is a poorly run organization. Tro is the only solid top 6 player drafted out of the 1st round on the team. The Boltz have Kucherov, Point and Palat that were all drafted outside of the first round.

Add to that the ability of other GM's to attract players that were never drafted to sign an ELC. We've got a few in the pipeline since the computer boys have taken over (Hunt, Greco and Bajkov). It's important to identify and sign players like this. Look at the Boltz with Johnson and Gourde at 21 and 25 goals this year.

When you can accumulate enough top 6 talent like the Boltz it allows you to trade guys like Nemestnikov and Drouin to fill in the gaps with players like McD, Sergachev and Miller to field a solid SC contender. This is hopefully the direction we're headed with the committee. :)

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
oh right true. lol I'm just so used to every ****up being tallons. do we know if he played any role in that draft as prez of hockey ops or whatever bogus title they gave him? if not, then this is the one move I was really against the computer boys on. most of their others were hits for me. not sure if gallant was more owners or comp boys so that I gotta reserve judgement. demers I didn't like but it was understandable at the time. the rest I was pretty much in favor of.

As Soupy said, 2016 Draft has nothing to do with DT, it was Rome and the new Scouting Team he brought in. And still the same team 2017 difference DT was involved again.
And Pres. of Hockey OP is a bit more then only Drafts. Draft is most the Scouting Team, GM´s and Developing Teamand at least Family and Team History Buisness.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah they've had decent drafts but they haven't been able to parley present top 6 guys like Donskoi or Hyman into playing for them. Mascherin walking possibly continues to send a message to other players this is a poorly run organization. Tro is the only solid top 6 player drafted out of the 1st round on the team. The Boltz have Kucherov, Point and Palat that were all drafted outside of the first round.

Add to that the ability of other GM's to attract players that were never drafted to sign an ELC. We've got a few in the pipeline since the computer boys have taken over (Hunt, Greco and Bajkov). It's important to identify and sign players like this. Look at the Boltz with Johnson and Gourde at 21 and 25 goals this year.

When you can accumulate enough top 6 talent like the Boltz it allows you to trade guys like Nemestnikov and Drouin to fill in the gaps with players like McD, Sergachev and Miller to field a solid SC contender. This is hopefully the direction we're headed with the committee. :)
To be fair, few teams have done as well as Tampa. Look at their 2011 draft - they only had six picks and only two in the first four rounds:
27 - Namestikov
58 - Kucherov
148 - Nesterov

178 - Wilcox - bust/possible NHL backup
201 - Matthew Peca - bust/fringe NHLer
208 - Palat
Very impressive.

I agree though - our drafting has been decent but far from great. Outside of the first round, we got: 2010 - Petro and a few guys that wouldn't sign with us; 2011 - Trocheck; 2012 - bust; 2013 - Weegar, maybe McCoshen who was pick 31; 2014 - bust; 2015 - Malgin (maybe Montembeault); 2016 too soon to tell (Mamin could be promising; there's also Ang, Finkelstein, Nassen and Stillman). I'm not counting fringe NHLers like Grimaldi, Shaw and Rau (though Shaw is at least a decent fourth liner; Lammikko might become one as well). We need to do better than that.

I agree on attracting the undrafted FAs - that has improved at least. Hopefully we make playoffs next year and it will attract even more of them. Would be nice.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

That makes no sense when you look at the young talent we have, Barkov, Trocheck, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Matheson, hello? We have had two Calder winners which most organizations do not have. We've also shown the commitment to extend these guys early in their career.

Mascherin and Hyman are not even thought about by anyone outside of us.

And you can add the list of top veteran players who have come here recently like Luo, Yandle, Dadonov, and Demers to this poorly run organization. We also give guys like March a chance to be a player.

When a top pick doesn't sign here, we can start worrying about being poorly run. This is more tin foil speculation.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'd be interested to see a comparison between all the teams (well Vegas doesn't need to be included, since they haven't had time to lose anyone over one year), that how many prospects they've had who refused to sign. Say since 2010?

Reactions: GermanPanther

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'd be interested to see a comparison between all the teams (well Vegas doesn't need to be included, since they haven't had time to lose anyone over one year), that how many prospects they've had who refused to sign. Say since 2010?
you have to differentiate. it's pretty common for lower round draft picks to not be signed because the team felt like the player wasn't worth offering a contract to.

Reactions: GermanPanther

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
That makes no sense when you look at the young talent we have, Barkov, Trocheck, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Matheson, hello? We have had two Calder winners which most organizations do not have. We've also shown the commitment to extend these guys early in their career.

Mascherin and Hyman are not even thought about by anyone outside of us.

And you can add the list of top veteran players who have come here recently like Luo, Yandle, Dadonov, and Demers to this poorly run organization. We also give guys like March a chance to be a player.

When a top pick doesn't sign here, we can start worrying about being poorly run. This is more tin foil speculation.
Of course it makes no sense, to you. :laugh:

Face some facts here slick. This organization is the laughing stock of the NHL again and it gets worse each time Vegas wins a game. Before that it was the tearing down of the Hockey Operations and the firing of ancillary staff after the 15-16 season that had the talking heads and fans cackling around the league. The organization before Viola was unstable and after he arrived it was taken to an absurd level by the demotion of Dale and reinstalling him the following year.

Yes, we have drafted some pretty good players with our 4 picks in the top 3 over Tallon's tenure. The fact that they didn't threaten to go back in the draft is not surprising. The only guys in the first round to do this in the last 30 years have been Berard and Lindros, so the chances of it happening here were remote. Remember, Tallon only drafts guys with character and Hyman and Donskoi obviously didn't have any. Mascherin is on the computer guys and I don't think anyone realized how unstable he was.

Lu came here because of the pressure his wife put on him, not because Tallon was such a good salesman and we are a great organization. Yandle, Demers, and Reimer were all sold on this place after the Cats posted their 103 pts season and Tallon was demoted in favor of an analytics team that supported building a puck control Pens type system. That was our one window of opportunity to acquire top UFA talent since Tallon has been here. That window has closed and will only open again when we are a solid playoff contender. Incidentally IMO that Dads came here only for the chance to play on the same line as Barky. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
you have to differentiate. it's pretty common for lower round draft picks to not be signed because the team felt like the player wasn't worth offering a contract to.
I guess that's where the "refused" part comes in. So all players who re-entered the draft (mostly CHL guys, maybe a couple Euro prospects with the old only 2 years NHL rights pre 2013 CBA) and got drafted again, or NCAA prospects who took the loophole to UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad