Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If he doesn't want to sign with the Panthers because it's a tough road from Springfield to the big league, good luck with that. Along with an organizational culture where they don't take anything for granted.

Do we know that this is the reason he doesn't want to sign here?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We'll know more after he gets traded & signs or re-enters the draft, but that is often the main cause for prospects refusing to sign with a certain team. I don't think it's fear of the AHL, because realistically he isn't NHL ready and he/his agent should know that.

Mascherin IMO would've had at least 2 guaranteed AHL years with the way we have so many guys pushing for only a couple spots, whereas on a team with weaker depth (say Montreal) he could be a regular call-up (10-20 games, depending on injuries and if the team ships out veterans at the TDL) as soon as next season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Fun fact: Mascherin is represented by the same agency as Hyman: Uptown Hockey.
I've always suspected tampering, but try and prove it. They can just say they were meeting to discuss other players they represent. I trust Lamoriello and Shanahan about as far as I can throw them. Typical win at all costs ala Kovalchuk and Shanahan was a disgrace heading up Player Safety. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You'll never hear the real reason as players agents don't want to disrupt future chemistry and working relationships with GM's around the league. Suffice it to say that Cat's ownership hasn't done the franchise any favors with their behavior but the real reason IMO is unprovable tampering. The Leafs have their limits as far as what they are willing to reimburse the Cats and my guess is the offer won't be that great. Tallon needs to get a better offer and then advise Mascherin's agent to work out a deal or he goes back in the draft. But of course that's just posturing and Mascherin's agent knows it. My guess is Tallon will fold like a cheap suit and take whatever the Leafs offer him. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
My guess is Tallon will fold like a cheap suit and take whatever the Leafs offer him. :)

I'd say that the Calculator bros. will hamper Dale from doing so since the Laughs are still in the same division and Masch could end up biting the Cats rear end more or less. Rather send him to as far as away from this org and/or into some fiery pit of despair for years to come.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I'd say that the Calculator bros. will hamper Dale from doing so since the Laughs are still in the same division and Masch could end up biting the Cats rear end more or less. Rather send him to as far as away from this org and/or into some fiery pit of despair for years to come.
so out west to our favorite trade partners, vancouver?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The Florida Panthers are trying to trade Adam Mascherin, their 2016 second-round pick as he’s told them he won’t sign with them. He would re-enter the draft this year if he’s not signed. Interested teams may not want to give up much knowing they could have the chance to draft him.
There has been some rumor talk that the Chicago Blackhawks could consider trading their lottery pick for immediate help, though GM Stan Bowman may not like that idea too much.

“I would be surprised if we traded it. Maybe if it was for a 22- or 23-year-old, who would be a couple of years ahead of draft age. But not for a 25- or 26-year-old. We think fans will like (newly signed) Dylan Sikura…. Add him to Alex DeBrincat and Nick Schmaltz. We want to add to that group…. Like I said, maybe for someone who is a couple years ahead but has a ton of hockey left.”

If they want give them that much of a Talent, ask for high price and thanks them for Hayes and Pirri. That is how the League and the GM´s handle talented Players they give them a Chance for a fair price.
Interisting where and how taht Story will end after the Season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Goldie should've had Tallon comment on the Mascherin situation on live tv. Wonder what prepackaged dribble would've spilled out of his face.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Obviously, most players going through the system, with virtually any NHL team (including Panthers) and their affiliates, don't have a problem like Mascherin does. So there's clear existence proof that the system works.

Mascherin is an idiot for not playing along like everyone else. In the grand scheme of things, he's fairly close to the top (an NHL roster), yet he's not doing everything he can to make a roster but keeps up a sideshow.

This is a telltale sign of a whiny brat. His best course of action right now would be to eat humble pie and sign with the Panthers and see where he can get to.

Which is obviously won't do, so he'll end up pushing carts at Walmart while he waits for his chance (that he fails to admit he blew due to his own stupidity).

Bennie Aggy

Oct 26, 2017
So we lose another top prospect. This organization is a complete joke and going nowhere fast. How can we lose this kid?! It's the organizations fault. This is comical.

Bennie Aggy

Oct 26, 2017
Goldie should've had Tallon comment on the Mascherin situation on live tv. Wonder what prepackaged dribble would've spilled out of his face.

You want the media to do their job in South Florida? Hahahaha you know they don't put pressure on this club. They accept mediocrity and that's that.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I liked Mascherin and followed a lot of his Kitchener boxscores/highlights since his draft. Too early to tell if he'll make the NHL or not. It would make sense to me if it comes out that he thinks his route here is clogged and wants to try an easier path on another team (even though that would be cheap on his part). It would be disappointing to hear if it comes out that we just didn't "keep in contact with him" and that rubbed him the wrong way.

Nonetheless, what stinks is that we lose another top pick. I know there are success numbers tied to draft picks but to me, you have to hit on first, second, and third rounders. Plain and simple, I think we miss too much. Guddy, Howden, Crouse, etc and now Adam. You miss on picks so much, you might as well try to buy a championship cause you're just spinning your tires.

-ghoste

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I don't see the path to the NHL being that clogged on this team
We aren't the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Malgin and Vatrano aren't proven/legit players. Both show some promise but still have ways to go in certain parts of their game. Guys he would be neck to neck with if he was truly ready for the jump next year.
Bjugstad had a healthy year, who knows how he does next year health and numbers wise. to bet on him being this 50 point player is risky.
McGinn has one more year and he's out. Mamin hustles out there, but he isn't some dynamo who has a spot in pen already.

I mean the only two wingers he would be behind are Huberdeau and Dadonov.
Borgstrom is starting at center, and he is not lock to being some legit NHL player out the gate.

I would be willing to bet he just doesn't want to play in Sunrise for whatever reason.

Reactions: jvr32

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I don't see the path to the NHL being that clogged on this team
We aren't the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Malgin and Vatrano aren't proven/legit players. Both show some promise but still have ways to go in certain parts of their game. Guys he would be neck to neck with if he was truly ready for the jump next year.
Bjugstad had a healthy year, who knows how he does next year health and numbers wise. to bet on him being this 50 point player is risky.
McGinn has one more year and he's out. Mamin hustles out there, but he isn't some dynamo who has a spot in pen already.

I mean the only two wingers he would be behind are Huberdeau and Dadonov.
Borgstrom is starting at center, and he is not lock to being some legit NHL player out the gate.

I would be willing to bet he just doesn't want to play in Sunrise for whatever reason.
Every single player u mentioned is clearly ahead of him and then Tippett and some ahl guys too.. that's reality.. I hate losing mash cause that shot and release is something I haven't seen before but it is what it is.. if he wants outta here that's his right.. for better or worse. If it's because he's chapped over not keeping in touch enough for his liking then that screams high maintenance to me.. especially with the turmoil surrounding the team last year... oh well

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
See ya Mascherin. I don't blame you looking for an easier path. Not everyone can handle competition.
there's not really that much competition. I don't think its that. the panthers aren't exactly stacked up front with goal scorers (not that I think he'll be an nhl goal scorer). I think he's one of those weirdos who needs to feel wanted due to emotional insecurities. unless he's just full of it and didn't want to play for the panthers which no one can be blamed for at this point.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
there's not really that much competition. I don't think its that. the panthers aren't exactly stacked up front with goal scorers (not that I think he'll be an nhl goal scorer). I think he's one of those weirdos who needs to feel wanted due to emotional insecurities. unless he's just full of it and didn't want to play for the panthers which no one can be blamed for at this point.
There's a lot of competition on the wings and it sounds like he needs a top 6 role to be effective, maybe top 9.

Huberdeau and Dadonov are locks in the top 6 on the wings so that means 4 winger spots left in top 9, two in the top 6. Bjugstad probably is a lock too for a top 6 spot, def top 9 so 3 winger spots left overall. We may even sign a UFA for the top 6.

Tippet and Hepo are better winger prospects. Whoever we draft this year with the 15th, if they're a F will be too.

Then a bunch of quality middle six guys like Malgin, Vatrano, McGinn, and even Mamin.

And who knows if Borgstrom gets tried out on wing or McCann does.

Plus guys in the AHL like Greco and Valk who could potentially compete for a bottom 6 winger spot.

There's a lot of guys he'd have to beat out.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
There's a lot of competition on the wings and it sounds like he needs a top 6 role to be effective, maybe top 9.

Huberdeau and Dadonov are locks in the top 6 on the wings so that means 4 winger spots left in top 9, two in the top 6. Bjugstad probably is a lock too for a top 6 spot, def top 9 so 3 winger spots left overall. We may even sign a UFA for the top 6.

Tippet and Hepo are better winger prospects. Whoever we draft this year with the 15th, if they're a F will be too.

Then a bunch of quality middle six guys like Malgin, Vatrano, McGinn, and even Mamin.

And who knows if Borgstrom gets tried out on wing or McCann does.

Plus guys in the AHL like Greco and Valk who could potentially compete for a bottom 6 winger spot.

There's a lot of guys he'd have to beat out.
if u think all those guys u mentioned after huby and dads represent tough competition then he literally can't go to almost any top 9 in the nhl. (which I legitimately think he cant). he's at best a top 9 guy on a weak winger team, but we are a weak winger team. it was depressing for me watching u list all those guys after the top 2. we really don't have much top quality winger talent. the only one u metioned that I like at all is hepo and he seems to have dropped off a cliff production-wise and is a toothpick so he's a major years long project. I don't think we'll sign a big name free agent winger or we wouldn't have done what we did in the expansion draft. winger help is only coming from within and we're kinda without....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad