Player Discussion: Adam Lowry

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I was speculating about $4.25M AAV. I am hoping for a small discount to bring that down to $4M. If he ever hit the open market, I think he would get a bit more than $4.25M.
That's a lot of cash to give a 28 year old centre with hard miles on him that doesn't historically doesn't finish much. Which makes me really wonder if it would have been better to have Gustaffson in a fourth line role this year to see if he could eventually replace Lowry.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Friedman is reporting Jets are in extension talks with Lowry.

I'd be very happy to lock him up for a long time, but also worried - it's easy to wind-up over-paying a 3rd line player.

Any thoughts as to what he might get?

Anything more that 3.5 over 3 years is an overpay in my opinion. I think Copp could replace him if it came down to it. Gustaffson is probably ready to play fourth line minutes next year and if the scouting reports are true he's likely taking a third line centre spot soon after.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If you guys think a $3.5M/3 year contract will get Lowry resigned... LOL, good luck with that. Hey, I’d be happy with that result, but I think it will be at least 4 years and tickling just above $4M AAV.
4x4m would be perfect imo. ends when he's 32.

Reactions: Nedarb

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
If you guys think a $3.5M/3 year contract will get Lowry resigned... LOL, good luck with that. Hey, I’d be happy with that result, but I think it will be at least 4 years and tickling just above $4M AAV.
I would suspect you are probably right. Considering they need to upgrade the blue line this doesn't exactly scream prudent decision in my arm chair GM mind.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I'm going to guess (hope!) similar to the Laughton contract - 5 years 3-3.75 aav

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
On the market, he's either getting $4M for 5 years or $4.5M+ on a shorter term contract. I used to be deluded thinking he would get in the 3 million range for a short term. Notice how nobody speaks negatively about him on this forum, it's always "man we need a player like that". Every franchise wants what Lowry brings.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Friedman is reporting Jets are in extension talks with Lowry.

I'd be very happy to lock him up for a long time, but also worried - it's easy to wind-up over-paying a 3rd line player.

Any thoughts as to what he might get?

3-4 years (probably 4), about 3.75 per, maybe slightly more or less (more likely more than less).
I will go out on a limb and say 4 years, 15.5 mil. You heard it here first. :laugh:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Honestly I can't think of anything that Lowry has done to justify giving him $4 million. I like what he brings but I don't feel like that's his value.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Honestly I can't think of anything that Lowry has done to justify giving him $4 million. I like what he brings but I don't feel like that's his value.

Yeah you kind of feel like this is going to be like Perreault's contract (which was 4yrs x $4.125 mil). I don't think anyone on this board dislikes Perreault or his game, but in this his final year of his contract it feels like too much to be paying for his output.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yeah you kind of feel like this is going to be like Perreault's contract (which was 4yrs x $4.125 mil). I don't think anyone on this board dislikes Perreault or his game, but in this his final year of his contract it feels like too much to be paying for his output.
Perreault made sense at the time, he was producing enough for it. Defensive acumen alone doesn't get you 4 million though and Lowry has never produced enough offense to move it up to that. And even with praising his defensive game his numbers haven't been the same since Tanev left for $3.5 million to Pittsburgh, a contract that I recall most here believing to be an overpayment.

For those who thinks he'll get $4 million+, who are you looking at as comparables? I'm having trouble thinking of bottom 6 defense first players that average about a point ever 3 games (just over a point every 5 games last year) that have been paid like that. I feel like Goodrow and Coleman would be good comparables, Coleman being a bit more valuable, but they're both in contract years so I guess we'll see how teams value them soon.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This will affect the Jets' expansion draft. Basically, at this point it puts Appleton at risk.

Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Dubois
Lowry
Copp

Exposed: Appleton and Harkins (he needs 5 more games to meet the criteria)

Appleton is a good player, but hasn't been quite as good over the past 20 games after a very strong start this season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Wow -- that was quick.

Seems like decent-to-good value if he stays healthy, but what do y'all think?

Reactions: jokesondee

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This will affect the Jets' expansion draft. Basically, at this point it puts Appleton at risk.

Scheifele
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Dubois
Lowry
Copp

Exposed: Appleton and Harkins (he needs 5 more games to meet the criteria)

Appleton is a good player, but hasn't been quite as good over the past 20 games after a very strong start this season.
Depends on if copp wants to sign. Multi years of Apple is better than 1 yr of Copp.

Reactions: jokesondee

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i said 4x4m (16m total)
he got 3.25mx5 (16.25m total)

think it's fair. wary on the extra year, but it's a low caphit so nbd.

Wow -- that was quick.

Seems like decent-to-good value if he stays healthy, but what do y'all think?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Copp is traded to Detroit for 2 2nds Nyr and Edm....... b4 expansion draft. This allows Jets to then protect Apples

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I am stunned that the AAV is that low. Niiiiice!!
Hey look, you're not always right... :popcorn:

Lowsy is a dependable 3rd liner, glad to see him extended. Too bad it couldn't be done after the XD, but I'm sure that played into the negotiations.

He's a smart guy, and I think his brains will keep him playing 3rd line level hockey throughout this contract. Good signing.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I thought it would be on the < side of 4 mil!
Nice he took 3.25 over 5 years, yet!!
Sadly I see Copp will be gone, because Jets (Chevy)will under value him, again, in their "final offer".
I see Copp holding out for 4 mil min/Chevy offering under 3 mil max, and will have to look elsewhere to get it.
Copp has had a breakout, career year, Lowry did not particularly but continued his strong-hold on being a top-notch PKer and checking role, 3rd liner premium center.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad