Player Discussion: Adam Lowry

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Would like to see more offense from him given the number of minutes he gets. Really hard to justify playing a player on pace for less then 15 points the types of minutes he plays. There will be games were our top 6 goes a bit stale and we will need some secondary offense.
I’ve always thought him a bit over rated based on his production. Does a lot of good things but the 15 plus minutes is a lot of ice time. His best season was when he got a third of his points on the power play. It’s safe to say he’s a 20 point center. The bigger questions are what is he worth and should the Jets leave him protected in expansion? Personally I’d leave him unprotected and he’s 2 million max. But knowing what we know about the Jets he’s probably getting Tanev term and Perrault money.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’ve always thought him a bit over rated based on his production. Does a lot of good things but the 15 plus minutes is a lot of ice time. His best season was when he got a third of his points on the power play. It’s safe to say he’s a 20 point center. The bigger questions are what is he worth and should the Jets leave him protected in expansion? Personally I’d leave him unprotected and he’s 2 million max. But knowing what we know about the Jets he’s probably getting Tanev term and Perrault money.

They don't have to protect him as he will be a UFA that summer. I would personally be looking to deal him this summer for a second paring dmen to play with Pionk.

I think Copp can do his job just as well defensively while putting up more points.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I love Lowry, he’s always been one of my favourites for his style of play, but he needs to contribute more offensively for the minutes he plays. That’s just reality. I still think the Jets will be most effective with,

at C. That’s pretty deep and not far off the 17-18 year with Stats. Any coach should be able to roll 4 lines with those guys in the middle effectively.

Reactions: Halberdier

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
They don't have to protect him as he will be a UFA that summer. I would personally be looking to deal him this summer for a second paring dmen to play with Pionk.

I think Copp can do his job just as well defensively while putting up more points.
My favorite GIF is a good fit again....
200.webp

With the loss of Buff, Chariot and Trouba our grit level dropped significantly to new all time Jet lows. Lowry is the ONLY Jet now that strikes any fear in anyone playing us. Like it or not you still do need a guy or two who is willing to drop the mitts and can do a good job of it (ask Ryan Reaves).

Without Lowry the Jets go from soft to easily manhandled and if we ever do make the playoffs things just escalate and his value rises.

I think we're going to get pushed around even more now and expect to see Perreault hitting the ice like a sack of hammers a couple times a game.

Copp is a great defensive forward (so is Lowry) but not at all a replacement for Lowry's size and grit.

Copp has 16 pts while getting PP time and top 6 time. Lowry has 10 with no PP time. Not a huge difference. And both should be 3rd liners at most. Copp in the top 6 means we seriously lack top 6 depth.

I'd actually rather have seen JC Lipon get the call up because he can somewhat fill the toughness void left with Lowry out and let's face it, whoever gets in on the 4th line is only getting 5-9 minutes so looking for secondary scoring there is pissing in the wind. Sure Lipon has reached his ceiling but he fits the bill at the moment.

I'm all for developing Vesalainen but he's not exactly tearing it up with the Moose with 22 points in 44 games (Lipon has 23 pts) and I think the timing was wrong because we need an injection of grit right now on the bottom 6. Especially considering they don't contribute on the scoreboard anyway.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
His role has always been to be a defensive minded C. He just has generally been able to do that while also adding 10 plus goals and 25 to 30 points a year. He is producing almost 50% less point totals then expected. His scoring rates are very low end fourth line level this year.

That what i meant he is a defensive forward now with more defensive responsiblity to tale care of due to the defensemen personalities.
Also less offense for forwards that cant create on their own due to lack of offensive defensemen making plays for the forwards.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I love Lowry, he’s always been one of my favourites for his style of play, but he needs to contribute more offensively for the minutes he plays. That’s just reality. I still think the Jets will be most effective with,

at C. That’s pretty deep and not far off the 17-18 year with Stats. Any coach should be able to roll 4 lines with those guys in the middle effectively.
That would be a very good lineup but Maurice would probably still play him 15 minutes plus and Little would probably be playing 8-10.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
It appears we took a time machine

and 2017-2018 Lowry has emerged.
I watched 2017/18 Lowry single handedly shutdown the lightning live and was in awe! Sure hope he reaches that level this year!

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I watched 2017/18 Lowry single handedly shutdown the lightning live and was in awe! Sure hope he reaches that level this year!
he's always been good defensively since then. but the offense totally dried up for a couple years.... could be injuries or linemates, who knows. but whatever the case is, he's 1st in goals/60 and 2nd in pts/60 at 5v5 on this team (excluding laine) atm and he's looking spry out there.

could also be b/c he's in a contract year though :naughty:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What he is gonna command UFA, he is gonna cost more than Brandon Tanev i would thing? To lock him up.

I believe Maurice and management are aligned on that perspective.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He’s 27 I believe.
I’d be willing to let him walk rather than getting another loyalty contract that doesn’t age well.
He’s had injury issues in the past.
It all depends on what he’s willing to sign for.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He’s 27 I believe.
I’d be willing to let him walk rather than getting another loyalty contract that doesn’t age well.
He’s had injury issues in the past.
It all depends on what he’s willing to sign for.
If you take away Lowry the jets don't have much going for them this season.
Schief and Wheeler havent exactly been great. Morrissey and Demelo have been disappointing. Our best line has often been lowry's and lowry is a huge part of that. What players haven't had injuries in the past and it's not like they are chronic injuries like Laine's.

Reactions: DiggerD

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
We're getting dazzled by his boxcars?

I mean, Micah's model uses the past year as a prior... so his play last season influences the results of this season. EW's model does not use a prior, and their RAPM model has Lowry as a positive in Corsi +/- and neutral in xGoal.

It's not defining of him. Just adding more information for the discussion.

Reactions: Evil Little

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Friedman is reporting Jets are in extension talks with Lowry.

I'd be very happy to lock him up for a long time, but also worried - it's easy to wind-up over-paying a 3rd line player.

Any thoughts as to what he might get?

Reactions: jokesondee

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I was speculating about $4.25M AAV. I am hoping for a small discount to bring that down to $4M. If he ever hit the open market, I think he would get a bit more than $4.25M.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
id go a bit lesser term on lowry. love him as a player, but the physical style & myriad of injuries, might not be a graceful aging contract.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I love Lowry but I don't think he deserves too much of a raise right now. $3.25-$3.5 feels about right for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad