Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ok, good, then we're on the same page. I just get annoyed at the MSG stuff coming out that has Fox penciled into the 2RD spot already.
I would not be surprised if that is the plan, however. Yes, I agree that if he does not show that he is ready, then of course he should go and play in Hartford. That said, I would not be surprised if management's plan currently has him in the starting lineup on opening night.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I would not be surprised if that is the plan, however. Yes, I agree that if he does not show that he is ready, then of course he should go and play in Hartford. That said, I would not be surprised if management's plan currently has him in the starting lineup on opening night.

I mean their only other alternative at the moment is Brendan Smith, and Smith sucks as a RD (or in general, but c'est la vie).

I'm honestly not too concerned about Fox's play with the puck because I think his floor (at the moment, not career) is already as a good offensive 3RD. I'm more worried about he'll handle defending the slot and managing teams playing a more aggressive crash-the-net style. As much as I like Deangelo, he's already weak enough defensively. I don't want to compound that with Fox and put Hank in an early grave. If it were a realistic option, I'd let Fox get the lion's share of AHL minutes where he can adjust to the rigors of professional hockey, and then bring him up later.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I see no concerns with Fox. He's everything I'd thought x2.

His vision/IQ/gamesense is off the charts, I've read about it but its a pure joy to actually watch.
Exactly. I loved Fox as a prospect for a while, and I knew he was good but I didn’t know he’d be this good already. I don’t know if I’m right, but after watching him play these past few games, I believe his IQ is already truly elite (or at least close). Granted, if people don’t put much stock into this tournament when it comes to poor performances, shouldn’t it be the same way with good performances? I’m just super excited we have him. Like, I wanted Fox so bad just a few months ago, and now that we actually have him, it’s surreal to me.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Ok, good, then we're on the same page. I just get annoyed at the MSG stuff coming out that has Fox penciled into the 2RD spot already.

Unlike me, who notably am always correct. It's a blessing and a curse, but c'est la vie.
Ahem, this should be "who is notably always correct." Optionally, you could add commas around "notably" for emphasis, if you so chose.

:D

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I have a good feeling he will be a lot better than Hobey Baker winner Matt Gilroy, who really didn't pan out for us.

Reactions: Crease

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This kid is so good with the puck and SOOOO much better on the defensive zone than I anticipated. Definitely number 1 d potential. We stole a ****ing stud. What a stud.
He definitely has 1D potential. I’m happy people are starting to see that and I’m happy that Fox looks this good already.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don't know about that, but hes crazy composed and excellent with the puck on his stick.
I’m not saying he will be a 1D, but if he can really improve either his skating and/or strength, he can be. I mean, he doesn’t have any real weaknesses besides lack of strength. And he’s not the best skater but still pretty good, so I wouldn’t call it a weakness. Other than that, the truly elite hockey IQ and poise is what sets him apart. And the passing. Add in high-end skill, great defensive positioning and IQ, and an accurate shot, and we really have something here.

Reactions: bl02

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If there’s one tool Fox doesn’t have its elite athletic ability and skating. For that reason I’m not sure he’ll ever be enough of a ‘horse’ on the backend to really be a 1D.

Of all the guys on the team or in the system, Miller probably has the best chance at being that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh we might put a little too much emphasis on standout physical skills, but it’s always a super fine line. Someone like John Moore has exceptional skating and good size etc but not nearly enough hockey smarts to be more than a 3rd pair guy

If Fox ends up being a player that the puck goes through whenever he’s on the ice then he may be a 1D based on impact in the ice whether we feel like he has the elite physical talent for it or not

Then again also depends on what you call a 1D. Is he a superstar franchise player on D with average skating? Probably not, but maybe he’s a 23 minute per night guy who makes a huge impact out there

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If there’s one tool Fox doesn’t have its elite athletic ability and skating. For that reason I’m not sure he’ll ever be enough of a ‘horse’ on the backend to really be a 1D.

Of all the guys on the team or in the system, Miller probably has the best chance at being that.

There's one thing I know, that's two tools.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
You don't have to be McDavid skating wise to be a good to great player in the NHL. Elite hockey sense combined with escapeability, a great first pass is more than enough to compensate for non elite skating. I see nothing in Fox's game that says his skating will detract from his ability to be a very good to great modern NHL defenseman.

I think the discussion about his skating ability or perception that he lacks it at this juncture is kind of pointless and beating a dead horse.

If I was DeAngelo, I would sign the contract Pronto because by mid season, if healthy, Fox will totally take his place in the lineup.

Last edited:

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
From what I saw last night, Fox starts and Smth goes to Hartford.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Right now, I'm still more or less in line with the scouting reports and my own observations about Fox from before.

In short, I'm not sure I see a number one defenseman. I see a guy who might be able to slot in beside that guy, but might be best served as a hell of a weapon on the second pair.

Based on past observations, I'm not yet sure the skating, the size/strength, and the defense will be an ideal matchup against the top-end NHL talent he'll encounter. But we'll see what happens.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Right now, I'm still more or less in line with the scouting reports and my own observations about Fox from before.

In short, I'm not sure I see a number one defenseman. I see a guy who might be able to slot in beside that guy, but might be best served as a hell of a weapon on the second pair.

Based on past observations, I'm not yet sure the skating, the size/strength, and the defense will be an ideal matchup against the top-end NHL talent he'll encounter. But we'll see what happens.

He REALLY reminds me of Torey Krug

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
yeah can't be upset if he turns out as good as Krug but don't see the comp, Krug can really wheel and has a bomb slapshot

not saying he'll be as good or have the career of him but Brian Rafalski. small and not an elite skater but saw the ice so well and was very heady defender. wasn't really a #1 but was a great compliment to guys like Nidermayer/Stevens and Lidstrom throughout his career.

Reactions: ponzu4u

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
He REALLY reminds me of Torey Krug
I think Fox will be considerably better defensively than Krug.

Fox will have troubles with bigger forwards from time to time, but man, his upside may be higher than I thought. He tipped the ice in our favor more often than not when he was out there, he has a natural mind for the game. That’s easily the most impessive thing about him. Everything seems easy and simple for him. Honestly, I’d say he was a steady presence out there. He showed me what to expect immediately, and kept on delivering.

Now, I fully expect him to have his ups and downs this season, but I truly get why Gorton needed to trade for Fox now.

Can’t wait for the season.

Reactions: belford22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad