Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Starting a player discussion thread so we (okay, *I*) don’t keep getting confused by the “confirmed with link” prefix in the signing thread. :)

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-25_19-54-42.png
    upload_2021-3-25_19-54-42.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Scott Wheeler of The Athletic is a little kooky at times with some of his opinions. He is a really big Adam Fox fan.

He writes prospect features before every season.

It starts with a question: What are the component parts of the ideal power-play quarterback?
For me, there are four:
  • The threat of the shot. There are power-play quarterbacks who can be successful without this. Morgan Rielly ran one of the best power-play units in the league last year and teams never respected his shot. But that unit would have been even better if they did.
  • The ability to walk the line. This is essential. Every power-play quarterback needs to be able to corral the puck off the boards and walk the line. It’s imperative not only in creating lanes for that aforementioned shot but in creating space for the flanks. And if that defenceman bobbles the puck frequently, good penalty killers will take advantage for breakaways back the other way.
  • Deception and the element of surprise. Every power play has its go-to plays. Coming into a game, opposing teams have studied those tendencies. The best power plays have a defenceman who is unpredictable, and will make a different play when it’s available — or has the puck skills required to show one way and go the other.
  • Finding the balance between poise and pace. Power plays are designed to move the puck quickly. A lot of that depends on how quickly the defenceman moves it. The best power-play quarterbacks are masters of one-touch passes and shots that keep defenders scrambling. But there are also defencemen who try to move the puck so quickly that their forwards aren’t able to properly get open or set screens. Sometimes, slowing the power play down to reset is key. A defenceman’s ability to pick and choose when it is time to play slowly or play fast separates the best power play options in the league from everyone else.
  • Here, through a series of his power-play highlights from last season as well as a complete review of three full games, I’ll detail how Fox checks all four boxes.

Last month, Wheeler had Fox as his 10th best NHL prospect.

10. Adam Fox, RHD, 21 (New York Rangers — 66th overall, 2016)

I will die on the Adam Fox hill. Undeniably brilliant offensive tools, uncharacteristically good defensive decision-making for a player his age. If he doesn’t become a bona fide No. 1, he’ll be close.

Wheeler: The top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2019...

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
While I think Miller probably has the highest upside if all things come together, I think Fox will have a much bigger impact earlier in his NHL career. It's a pretty exciting time

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Don't like the hype at all. I badly need some new video footage of Fox. At this point it all feels like hearsay.

Saw him at the prospect camp in Stamford. No, the camp didn’t practice a power play when I was there. Fox does skate well though. (He and Lindqvist appear similar) While many of the defensive prospects fired hard passes it was Fox who appears the most confident with the puck. He skates well, does have agility, floats/fires passes while drawing opponents toward him. He’s not Zubov although we didn’t see too many windups from the point and i never saw blazing speed. Let’s remember though, Brian Leetch didn’t have a blast of a shot or blazing speed either. Leech is too high a ceiling yet Fox is confident with the puck and does make plays.

Meanwhile, Lindqvist blended in more while i’d say Fox stood out a bit more. Honestly, there was a lot of talent on the ice so we saw flashes here and there from defensemen including Fox and Lindqvist.

Have to mention Miller though. Unlike any other defenseman, Miller takes two strides and his gone. It’s deceiving b/c he doesn’t take multiple strides like a Carl Hagelin who flies but rather fewer strides which are longer and he’s moving!!

Premature but the rest look like 3rd liners with 2 line upside. That’s not slighting them though. There is a lot of size and talent on the backend.

Reactions: eco's bones

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like fox a lot...but I do wonder how a guy with his skating stride would translate to the NHL game.

He'll have to work on it.

In the meantime playing him with a defenseman that is an above average skater would be ideal, but that seems unlikely.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I like fox a lot...but I do wonder how a guy with his skating stride would translate to the NHL game.
I don’t think it will be as bad as we may believe. He’s got very good agility and can walk the line very well. Maybe it’s less of an issue with d-men than with forwards, but speed certainly helps. However, Fox is very smart and I’ll take that over blazing speed. I think his brain will make up for his shortcomings, and then some, in the NHL.

Reactions: egelband

NYR Quest for Cup

Apr 29, 2012
I don't post much here ... but met this kid over the summer at a Junior Rangers hockey camp (my 7 year old son attended). He looked incredibly comfortable skating, and I spoke to the local coaches. They said he is wicked quick, and surprisingly strong. Was very engaged with the kids. Looking forward to watching him play and develop

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 24

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't post much here ... but met this kid over the summer at a Junior Rangers hockey camp (my 7 year old son attended). He looked incredibly comfortable skating, and I spoke to the local coaches. They said he is wicked quick, and surprisingly strong. Was very engaged with the kids. Looking forward to watching him play and develop

But what did you think of Adam Fox?:sarcasm:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
fox will be a very solid player this season.

defensively hes adequate. hes smart and he understands what hes suppoed to do and where to be. his hands and stick skills are high end. he thinks the game at a very high level. PP time is where hell earn his paycheck.

with fox and ADA, this team has all they need in offensive dmen who can act like a 5th forward.

just need jake, brady and marc to play defense.

Reactions: eco's bones

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Like others have mentioned I don’t think he’s got a bar none set of skills but it’s more about his grasp of the game and his deceptiveness that makes him so effective.

He’s one of those types of players that I could see being a bit of bust at the NHL level (See Gilroy) with such high expectations attached to him - but on the other hand there are certain players who’s game translates well to the NHL and is enhanced when joined with the best players in the world around them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
fox will be a very solid player this season.

defensively hes adequate. hes smart and he understands what hes suppoed to do and where to be. his hands and stick skills are high end. he thinks the game at a very high level. PP time is where hell earn his paycheck.

with fox and ADA, this team has all they need in offensive dmen who can act like a 5th forward.

just need jake, brady and marc to play defense.

Jacob will need to play offense too because he's probably going to be at least a 23 minute a night guy. He's going to be the guy the D revolves around--he'll play in all situations.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Fox has a decent camp. he will make the team. Am not worried about his skating. I do not think that he was signed to the ECL with the idea of burning one year of it in Hartford.

His size does worry me. And I need to see how he can handle defensive responsibilities. Not sure that you can have 6 defensemen, a third of which believes that they really are forwards. Quinn, I think, curbed that instinct in DeAngelo. We shall see.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If Fox has a decent camp. he will make the team. Am not worried about his skating. I do not think that he was signed to the ECL with the idea of burning one year of it in Hartford.

His size does worry me. And I need to see how he can handle defensive responsibilities. Not sure that you can have 6 defensemen, a third of which believes that they really are forwards. Quinn, I think, curbed that instinct in DeAngelo. We shall see.

Do you think he was traded for, and signed, early so he could join team USA in the World Championships? With Drury as the GM. Didn't want to risk injury and not getting the ELC during the summer

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do you think he was traded for, and signed, early so he could join team USA in the World Championships? With Drury as the GM. Didn't want to risk injury and not getting the ELC during the summer
Good points, but I will disagree. I think that Gorton identified an asset that he believes will help the team now and in the future.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Good points, but I will disagree. I think that Gorton identified an asset that he believes will help the team now and in the future.

The trade was at an odd time though. In the middle of the play offs. That doesn't happen. Especially with a team still in the play offs at the time

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
as far as fox's size i think its overblown, hes played against bigger players his whole life....its not like the players he played against during his time at the world juniors have all of a sudden grew a foot now that they are in the nhl...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I expect Fox will make the team. Tony DeAngelo hasn't signed yet and might not for a while---hoping for a trade maybe to open up more cap space to get a better deal. Would not be surprised if he holds out through camp. Brendan Smith IMO is a shell of an NHL player now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I expect Fox will make the team. Tony DeAngelo hasn't signed yet and might not for a while---hoping for a trade maybe to open up more cap space to get a better deal. Would not be surprised if he holds out through camp. Brendan Smith IMO is a shell of an NHL player now.

DeAngelo is really having his hand forced here by the Rangers...if he holds out, there's a real risk that he's "replaced" in the lineup by Fox. Maybe Fox doesn't come in and play as impactfully as DeAngelo would, but given the chance and minutes he might do enough to convince the team that DeAngelo is replaceable sooner rather than later.

Really should be an interesting competition down the road at least...I doubt the Rangers run with both of those guys on the team for much longer and see the future as more like Trouba, Fox/DeAngelo, Lundkvist.

Not worried about Fox's size and skating...they may be something that keeps him from being a top tier player but if he makes it in the NHL it's going to be on the back of what has always been his strength...hockey IQ and on ice vision.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
DeAngelo is really having his hand forced here by the Rangers...if he holds out, there's a real risk that he's "replaced" in the lineup by Fox. Maybe Fox doesn't come in and play as impactfully as DeAngelo would, but given the chance and minutes he might do enough to convince the team that DeAngelo is replaceable sooner rather than later.

Really should be an interesting competition down the road at least...I doubt the Rangers run with both of those guys on the team for much longer and see the future as more like Trouba, Fox/DeAngelo, Lundkvist.

Not worried about Fox's size and skating...they may be something that keeps him from being a top tier player but if he makes it in the NHL it's going to be on the back of what has always been his strength...hockey IQ and on ice vision.

I think eventually DeAngelo will sign but that might wait until the season is about to begin. There's a possibility then that the Rangers send him to Hartford for a conditioning stint but he might go straight into the lineup. Really I think the Rangers RD this year will be Trouba, DeAngelo and Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig