Adam Foote

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly I thought he was overrated when the Avs first came to town. Played a very physical, mean game that took a huge toll on his body. After double shoulder surgery IIRC he changed his approach, became much smarter and more balanced. Very underrated offensive side to his game. He could skate it out of the zone if need be, just didn't have the fancy hands or booming slapshot to put up big numbers. But pretty much a textbook premier stay-at-home defenseman.

captaincheese

The BillDozer ~ PS4
Nov 1, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
He is in my top 5 all-time Avs, so I would say he was pretty significant.
He wouldn't have been able to survive in the new nhl though. He was a clutch and grab master, like Scott Hannan, and Brad Stuart were/are.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Foote was a much, much better skater than either of those players. That is the part of his game that people really forget about. Foote was a great skater for his size and had some great edge work. A prime Foote would fit right in today's NHL.

If Tanev was a mean SOB... that would be Foote in today's NHL.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He is in my top 5 all-time Avs, so I would say he was pretty significant.
He wouldn't have been able to survive in the new nhl though. He was a clutch and grab master, like Scott Hannan, and Brad Stuart were/are.

Foote wasn't a clutch and grab player. He could skate better then Hannan or Stuart.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Foote was a much, much better skater than either of those players. That is the part of his game that people really forget about. Foote was a great skater for his size and had some great edge work. A prime Foote would fit right in today's NHL.

If Tanev was a mean SOB... that would be Foote in today's NHL.

Thats a good comparison.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He wasn't dependent on clutch and grab, but yes, he did it because he could. We can all remember him riding Tkachuk piggyback in front of Roy during the Western Conference Final. By that rationale you could dismiss all kinds of defensive players in the Dead Puck Era, like Rob Blake, Robyn Regehr, and so on.

I think a better example of a guy who seemingly thrived in the clutch-and-grab era who would struggle mightily now is Pavel Kubina. Had great physical tools and skills, but bad fundamentals. Foote was nothing if not good fundamentally.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Looking back at his entire career he almost seems made up. lol. like if you could build a perfect phys. def. dman, it would be him. Cool name and all. Can hit, fight, defend, skate. He was a bad@$$

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He wasn't dependent on clutch and grab, but yes, he did it because he could. We can all remember him riding Tkachuk piggyback in front of Roy during the Western Conference Final. By that rationale you could dismiss all kinds of defensive players in the Dead Puck Era, like Rob Blake, Robyn Regehr, and so on.

I think a better example of a guy who seemingly thrived in the clutch-and-grab era who would struggle mightily now is Pavel Kubina. Had great physical tools and skills, but bad fundamentals. Foote was nothing if not good fundamentally.

Derian Hatcher, no way in hell that guy survives these days.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Foote wasn't a clutch and grab player. He could skate better then Hannan or Stuart.

Foote was a much, much better skater than either of those players.

Absolute nonsense.

Brad Stuart was an awesome skater earlier in his career. Far better than Foote ever was.

In his prime, Foote was definitely better than last year's skeleton that posed as Brad Stuart for Colorado. But calling Foote in his prime a "far, far" better skater than Stuart in his prime, is ridiculous revisionist history homer posting.

Come on, guys. Foote was a defensive stud who skated reasonably well. No need to exaggerate it.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Absolute nonsense.

Brad Stuart was an awesome skater earlier in his career. Far better than Foote ever was.

In his prime, Foote was definitely better than last year's skeleton that posed as Brad Stuart for Colorado. But calling Foote in his prime a "far, far" better skater than Stuart in his prime, is ridiculous revisionist history homer posting.

Come on, guys. Foote was a defensive stud who skated reasonably well. No need to exaggerate it.

Footer played for team Canada in a number of best on best tournaments on international sized ice. He did well. He wasn't a great skater but he could hold his own.

ThunderBird

Mar 28, 2011
I know that Foote was big enough to handle the big forwards like the Tkachuks, and Shanahans but he could skate well enough to stick with the small, quick guys. Foote was mean and dirty always playing on that edge. Foote was an all out warrior. I always felt Foote could have done more in the offensive zone if he wanted to but he like the role of stay at home physical defenseman.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Absolute nonsense.

This is just totally wrong. Stuart was a good skater in his prime, but he wasn't better than (or even approaching) Foote. Foote's edge work and balance were really, really good.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
This is just totally wrong. Stuart was a good skater in his prime, but he wasn't better than (or even approaching) Foote. Foote's edge work and balance were really, really good.

No it's not.

Foote was a quality skater in his prime. Stuart was a damn good skater in his prime also. No way on earth is/was Foote "far, far" better. If we compare both of them in their primes, Stuart's was better without question. Both were quality skaters though.

The only comparison in which one could reasonably call Foote a "far" better skater than Stuart, is one in which Foote's skating is circa 1992, and Stuart's is circa 2015.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I remember the summer when Foote signed with the Blue Jackets and Forsberg signed with the Flyers. We replaced them with Brisebois and Turgeon. :laugh:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I remember the summer when Foote signed with the Blue Jackets and Forsberg signed with the Flyers. We replaced them with Brisebois and Turgeon. :laugh:

Those were actually pretty savvy moves by Lacroix. Brisebois was an ace puckmover and good supplement to a still-developing John-Michael Liles. Turgeon was actually quite productive and had immediate chemistry with Marek Svatos. I believe the Avs had one of their best offensive seasons that year.

I'm not saying those two guys were upgrades on Foote and Forsberg, of course they weren't, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well those two worked out. Too bad it was only for one season before both suffered what ended up being career-ending injuries.

People just look at that horrid giveaway in the postseason when Breezy coughed it up to Joffrey Lupul (and to be fair, it was indeed inexplicably bad) and ignore everything else he did in the short time he was in Colorado. Brisebois was never the star Montreal hoped he'd be, but he also wasn't the goat Montreal fans made him out to be either.

Speaking of Foote in Columbus, he's still pretty reviled there given how he essentially forced them to trade him back to Colorado. I'm told the Avalanche, as part of that deal, very nearly handed over Matt Duchene, but narrowly dodged that bullet. One of many reasons Francois Giguere hasn't had a sniff at an NHL GM job since.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Those were actually pretty savvy moves by Lacroix. Brisebois was an ace puckmover and good supplement to a still-developing John-Michael Liles. Turgeon was actually quite productive and had immediate chemistry with Marek Svatos. I believe the Avs had one of their best offensive seasons that year.

I'm not saying those two guys were upgrades on Foote and Forsberg, of course they weren't, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well those two worked out. Too bad it was only for one season before both suffered what ended up being career-ending injuries.

People just look at that horrid giveaway in the postseason when Breezy coughed it up to Joffrey Lupul (and to be fair, it was indeed inexplicably bad)
and ignore everything else he did in the short time he was in Colorado. Brisebois was never the star Montreal hoped he'd be, but he also wasn't the goat Montreal fans made him out to be either.

Speaking of Foote in Columbus, he's still pretty reviled there given how he essentially forced them to trade him back to Colorado. I'm told the Avalanche, as part of that deal, very nearly handed over Matt Duchene, but narrowly dodged that bullet. One of many reasons Francois Giguere hasn't had a sniff at an NHL GM job since.

Damn that series suuucccked

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
:wally: was alright for a short period of time but his age quickly caught up with him.

Breezby was always bad. Those times are probably the darkest times in avs history. I'll never forget reading the ticker on the score, that both left.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Foote was good, but he was no Kasparaitis. ;)

now, I can be the only one here, but I liked Blake more than Foote. specially since Blake produced more big hits than Foote, despite the later being known as a tough guy. I comprehend though that some pick him over Blake because of his way longer spell in the club.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
People just look at that horrid giveaway in the postseason when Breezy coughed it up to Joffrey Lupul (and to be fair, it was indeed inexplicably bad) and ignore everything else he did in the short time he was in Colorado.

I couldn't ignore the other 1,000 times he coughed up the puck in his own zone or the neutral zone. The Lupul incident was intensified because of the playoff atmosphere, but he pretty much coughed up the puck every night.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I remember an interview with Footer regarding his positivity around signing with the Blue Jackets. The premise of that interview was how he was excited because top to bottom at the time, he said there was accountability through the organization.

That's what a competitor he was.

Will go down in my books, along with Chara, Lidstrom & others the best defensemen ever to have given me the privilege of being a supporter of (and I only support Avs players btw - current and past - doesn't matter to me).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad